Author Topic: End of a dream  (Read 923 times)

Offline Countrysailor

End of a dream
« on: April 07, 2012, 18:55:53 »
Got a test ride today on a Stelvio. One of the best ( for me ) bikes I ever owned was my Guzzi T3 Cali and I've had a longing that if I ever traded the Wee it would be for the Stelvio. Loved it but I can only touch the floor with the tip of my toes. Visions of pulling up at a junction, left foot down to find the camber of the road into the gutter is a further 4 or more inches away is a scary thought. She's a heavy beast and once on its way over there would be no stopping it. Dream shattered and over  :bawl:
Did sit on the Norge though no test drive and was happy with my feet on that but it's no Stelvio.
Ah well, saved a few bob there as may well have been tempted had all been Hunky Dory. :lala:
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: End of a dream
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 19:01:11 »
That's a shame if you really hankered after one matey, still, all that cash you've saved by keeping the Wee will buy you a tank of fuel! The Stelvio is a handsome beast..

BTW, how tall are you?
No bike at present.......

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 18:26:47 »
5' 9" with a 31" leg so it's a stretch. Like to have at least the balls of both feet planted.

Offline wal750

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 21:31:34 »
No chance of shorter dog bones or removing some seat foam?
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline fishy23

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 20:02:07 »
Hi countrysailor well maybe dreams are what they are,eh I retired sold my parents property and as I used to have sports bikes I bought the new BMW s1000rr. Well it was a dream but the reality kicked in and I find that the expectations are not what I thought I ride my old vstrom and always feel I do not want to get off, the beemer leaves me a bit  cold maybe the past is just too far away, my era was the 70's with my 900ss.

Offline donny1972

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 20:40:18 »
Buy a tiger explorer instead. Seems to be getting great reveiws.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:14 »
Bugger, bit of a shame as I'm getting on well with mine. It may be worth checking the seat was in the lower of the two positions ? There are 4 rubber blocks and you simply reverse them to lift (or lower) the seat 20mm. Like the strom you can adjust the suspension to lower it a bit, the rear preload can be backed right off and you can drop the forks through the yokes up to 20mm.
I'm 6'2" and have the seat in the high position, forks dropped about 15mm and the rear set about 20mm higher to speed up the steering. It's a surprisingly good handler and the brakes are amazing !
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:49 »
Thanks to all who responded to my tale. Fishy, same sort of eras for me, wildest carefree days, early 60s. You're right that as soon as you get back on the Wee the grin comes back. I think what it is, is that in reality I'm not going up the Alaska trail or through deepest Africa but would like to do more in Europe and that would be 2 up with luggage. This needs a bit more power. I don't really like the idea of shortening a bike by dogbones. Bit like sawing a horses legs off at the knees so its less height to fall. One ends up adjusting other things to compensate. As for the seat lowering,I believe It is at the expense of comfort, I took the bungs out of the Wee when I got a Gel seat but ended up putting them back.  I did sit on the Guzzi Norge though and Got to say was very impressed. Couldn't get a test ride but may do so. Comfort was superb and it's Got to be a heaps better bike than my Pan Euro was. I suppose the other factor is with all these bikes is getting 'em out the drive. At the mo' I drive in and have to haul it out. Can manage the Wee but much more weight would prove a problem. I think the bottom line is, we'd all like a fleet of bikes, like choosing your shirt for the day that's in it. Guess I'll carry on dreaming for now, the sun is out after a drizzly weekend and I think a spin out is called for.  :auto-dirtbike: