Author Topic: Cold arond the nadgers...  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Flymo Fo

Cold arond the nadgers...
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:36 »
Not done a lot of miles yet on my '05 Vee, but they've all been in the cold.  :rain:

Anyroadup as we say in't midlands, in those 200 miles 've noticed that with the screen in the position it is (top but one I think) there is a howling gale whipping over the tank top straigh onto the family jewels with dramatic cooling effect  :groan:

Anyone else noticed this and if so does putting  the screen lower ( or higher ) fix it?
He who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: Cold arond the nadgers...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 16:05:47 »
V-Strom riders are real men - we use our nadgers as knee sliders!
No bike at present.......

Offline Sven

Cold arond the nadgers...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 16:32:16 »
As Piglumps said......... Or a fur lined cod-piece.......

Offline petestrom

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 16:35:29 »
Good base layer lowers should take care of that. :auto-dirtbike:
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 16:46:50 »
I work in the cold, and have done for 14 years. I find the cool breeze quite refreshing. But to be honest, I have not noticed it really. I have a madstad , givi screen and mirror extenders so don't know if that makes alot of difference
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Upright

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 18:05:36 »
I don't think its the screen - I think it is the fairing that directs air around the tank. I have noticed a slight moistening of the aforemention area.

I was power washing around the back of the house this morning and noticed the bike was dirty so washed it - I know people advise against that - I heard smoking is bad for you but you know these scaremongers. Pwerwashing brings meaning to a mans life - I'd power wash my kids if I could get a hose long enough.

anyhow had my own little wind tunnel game - no scientific result air/water is brought aroun th underside/side and top of tank hence the chill. Also proved to my self what I already suspected - there isn't enough cover of the upper and lower hand by barkbusters adjustable hand guard.

I think the overall front of the wee was designed without reference to airflow - I also am no convinces this is the source of some people buffeting - Strom not designed for knees and nadgers -  So no-legged ladies only - I haven't said any about how you get them to stay on!!!!
It's not my fault, it's your fault. I told you I was stupid but you didn't listen!

Offline Piglumps

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 19:11:39 »
Quote from: "Upright"
I was power washing around the back of the house this morning .....
I think the overall front of the wee was designed without reference to airflow - I also am no convinces this is the source of some people buffeting - Strom not designed for knees and nadgers -  So no-legged ladies only - I haven't said any about how you get them to stay on!!!!

Lucky devil - we're under a hosepipe ban here!
I could make some crude comment about getting these legless women excited and using natural suction to hold them to the tank...

Might get out on my Wee tomorrow and I will check out what you say - having only had my other Wee, my Pegaso and then this Wee I haven't much frame of reference......

Offline Upright

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 20:28:30 »
Knew some would rise to it.

Hosepipe ban, never heard of one but I'm sure the IMF will put that right soon enough!!!

I'm going to look at making some sort of a deflector. I had been on a deauville for cummuting and its the weather protection and shaft drive (still worry about chain slack)that are the winners for that bike.
It's not my fault, it's your fault. I told you I was stupid but you didn't listen!

Offline ringo grumio nibbler

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 20:30:10 »
Get yourself to Aldi and pick up a set of their motorbike thermals. Be warned though the medium is really more like a small.

Offline Upright

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 20:41:09 »
Aldi mid layer very good - your right thought sizing is a bit of an issue - I was doing aright unitl I got on the bike then the back of the trousers came half way down me arse - not good.

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 23:05:42 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"

and pack them in lard to keep the cold out....

Offline Flymo Fo

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 00:39:56 »
Had a hoon on it today, pushing the tyres a wee bit (Anakee 2 so far are great  ### ). With screen in very highest position I was less aware of the nadger chilling wind. :lala: but it was still there. I was wearing my thermal nipple tassels though maybe they helped..  :haha:
I'll be checking out the Aldi/lidl Thermal kecks right after Easter. Cheers.

Maybe Oxford will do a set of electric heated kecks if enough people tell them of this phenomena.
Maybe Hein Gericke could stock a ball sack warmer in their impressive range.  :shrug:

Down side of better frontal wind protection was that it felt like somone was pushing my head forward any time I got to the national limit :liar:  ( no, it wasn't the Mrs  :eusa-naughty: ) as the airflow went just over my head and looped in behind me. I was able to ride "at a quickish pace" with visor up no wind in face.. Impressive.

I'll try it on lowest height setting & see what it does but I think the thoughts are right about airflow around the tank being culprit..

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 07:32:58 »
Keeping one's gonads at a slightly(?) lower temperature increases fertility. Just thought you ought to be aware of this!

Offline Flymo Fo

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:18:48 »
Quote from: "hookie"
Keeping one's gonads at a slightly(?) lower temperature increases fertility. Just thought you ought to be aware of this!

Infertility at my age is desirable! Had the kids, not starting again now  :neen:  - but for you young fellas it's a valid point :clap:

Perhaps they should mention it in the sales brochure..
"The new DL1000 featuring SBCS (Suzuki Bollock Cooling System) to ensure that when you've driven across a continent to get to her, your tadpoles will still be up to the job"  :lala:

Offline Piglumps

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:25 »
Does anybody do a heated sock? I'd need an extra large of course......

Offline Flymo Fo

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:55 »
:thumb:
How about a heated seat! Vulvas (OK Volvo's) have 'em.. A feed off the cooling system with a radiator valve. Simples.  :fix:
what's that mr Heath-Robinson is eating over there.. Heart?  :grin:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 20:26:50 »
I only ever notice this when it's raining because the water gets in there first. It's like raid knows where water is more uncomfortable and the Strom knows to help it...
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:34 »
Quote from: "Piglumps"

that's not because we are real men, its because we are old men..... :grin:

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 11:03:14 »
Yes- old men with cold gonads, trying socks, heated underwear and seats to warm them up, and all for what purpose. Her indoors says we just improve with age. Don't believe a word, just trying to make me feel better. Got some strange blue pills for my birthday. Will they help keep my gonads warm?

Offline wislon

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:49 »
I have only just joined the V-strom club this winter and I have to say once I changed the screen for a Givi and added a madstad my DL650 is an absolute joy to ride. However, I too was nearly undone badly by the cold blast to the nether regions. I now wear an extra pair of shorts and that has solved the problem. However, I have often suffered from the reverse effect during rides in the heat of summer so I am looking forward to a comfortable ride this summer.