Author Topic: She's gone !  (Read 2257 times)

Offline doebag

She's gone !
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:32 »
Well it finally happened, Old Yeller has moved on to Kent and I am Vstromless. :violin:

Friend of mine at work expressed an interest when I was looking for a new bike, so she went on Saturday

Just over 86,000 miles between my arse and her seat, great times, and I know she will be pampered and looked after. She will look a lot better than she does in the picture, but that is what  nine winters of commuting do to a bike sometimes.

She has been replaced by a GTR1400

PS, my mate's daughter has already named her 'Buttercup'
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: She's gone !
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:57 »
Is it just me or does that Kwak's exhaust look too long? :shrug:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:50 »
That's not an exhaust, that's a missile launcher !!
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:20:52 »
Got to be the worst fitted exhaust I've ever seen. It 's a wonder it got past the design stage. I do like the handlebars though'. It looks like a comfortable set up, better than my old Pan Euro.
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline macvisual

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:03 »
Hi doebag:

wOw, I love those GTR-1400 Kwak's, the perfect touring tool, and that's a rare colour in green, beautiful looking, is it new? health to enjoy bro! Although I've never had the pleasure of test-riding one. We need feedback on how you like it and what's your initial thoughts/views etc???

Am I jealous.............? Just a we bit.

Superb machinery - enjoy lots!!!!
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline doebag

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 16:01:15 »
GTR is a bike I liked from when they first came out. My bike is new, so a lot of the niggles of the first couple of years have been ironed out.
Smooth engine, lots of toys like electric screen, traction,ABS, multi function on the dash for fuel,tyre pressures etc.
However there is absolutely no underseat storage ! just a small cubby box in the fairing which cannot even take the owners hand book !! So my bulb kit,first aid kit, tyre kit and all the rest now HAS to go in a tank bag.
Shaft drive, though now I am no longer doing the high mileages [ I will retire from the fire service in June ], chain maintainence is not such an issue.
Fairing mounted mirrors take some remembering,and with the hard luggage fitted, the bike feels really wide.
It does not feel as heavy as a Pan or RT, but heavier than a Vstrom.
The exhaust is huge, but I cannot see it when I am riding.

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 18:21:27 »
The weight of the gtr is low down though, you're going to have , er, ample power to hand there also!

Shame about the old strom, but nothing lasts forever...Good luck on the new steed, happy retirement in advance, doebag :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 19:20:16 »
I like the GTR , if I wanted a tourer its what id get ....The exhaust is small , this exaust is big  http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl= ... =105&ty=48

Offline wal750

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 20:53:39 »
Doebag

Congrats on the new machine, I find it's great to get a new bike but always a certain amount of sadness selling a trusty steed.

How was the vee after all those miles? Was the engine still smooth, any oil burning etc?
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:40:47 »
That really is a nice bike you have there Doebag - 86k on the Strom is pretty darned good though..
No bike at present.......

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:46 »
Enjoy the new bike, I tried one and they are a superb bit of kit. There are several options to cure the ugly exhaust  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline royzx7r

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:25 »
Kawasaki's always.....always....have to be green.  No excuses!

Enjoy your new bike.
"I'm Spartacus"

Offline doebag

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:28 »
Quote from: "wal750"
Doebag

Congrats on the new machine, I find it's great to get a new bike but always a certain amount of sadness selling a trusty steed.

How was the vee after all those miles? Was the engine still smooth, any oil burning etc?

I know the new owner will pamper the old girl, as for condition, well the engine was still oil tight with minimal oil use, the water pump seal had started to weep [ already replaced once by me ] but the clutch basket sounded like a bag of spanners falling down stairs. I just got used to it, but it really was in need of changing.
It never failed me engine wise, blew a battery in Scotland, couple of punctures, wheel bearings and minor stuff.
I have given my mate Steve the forum address, so the old girl might reappear on here .

Outlaw Josey Wales