Author Topic: An Italian beauty for my old age?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Timo

An Italian beauty for my old age?
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:58:55 »
Look, I know this is the vstrom forum and I love mine - it's the 4th I've had. You've all been brilliant with technical advice and now I'm asking for advice on passion... I'm due to retire in a couple of months so my commute to London from the Isle of Wight will be over. My trusty 650s have hauled me through rain, storms, ice and sunshine; all year round they've been there for me. They've been utterly dependable. They're my rock. BUT, as I approach 65 I'm being seduced by an Italian beauty: the curvaceous lines, the deep colour of the Mediterranean at sunset..

I will no longer need an utterly trustworthy companion - I'm looking for something that will make other men gasp at her sensuousness. I'm thinking of getting a second hand Ducati Multistrada 1000/1100 (NOT the new 1200 - way over a pensioner's income!). Anyone here ever had one or know anyone that has? Got any thoughts?

I'll need it for fun and for annual trips to Europe with my 4 mates from the Island (going to the Arctic Circle in June). I would never dream of changing the wife who shares all the attributes of my Wee (don't tell her I said that) for a young beauty so why I should be thinking of changing my ever reliable mate in the garage? Am I mad?  Any thoughts or know-how on the Duke MS 1000/1100 would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Tim

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
Re: An Italian beauty for my old age?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:31 »
Let me be the first to say I got completely the wrong idea from the Subject....

I'd have thought the lower runnning costs of the Wee would be a strong argument for someone about to be on a pension. But then again if you don't swap now the chance may pass you by.....tough choice.  :shrug:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:07 »
I can see the appeal, after 4 (!) Stroms I'd want something else too and the MultiStrada would be near the top of my list, just below the KTM 990 SM T ABS in position 1 (at least with my current list, it's ever changing.) I'd be considering one of the newer MultiStradas though, only because I've read that they are much improved over the older ones. Keep in mind that this is just what I have read, I haven't even ridden either, only ever seen them (and I don't get the appeal of white ones, it's Italian, it needs to be red or at least yellow...) European bikes have caught up and passed Japanese ones in terms of performance and reliability, IMHO. In the past the sensible side of me wouldn't even consider buying an Italian motorcycle, now I'll consider them as commuters :crazy:

All I can say is to do your research, register on a Ducati owner's forum for the MultiStrada, read everything you can, particularly the mods and technical sections. Get as many test rides for as long as you can on the bike you want. Be very aware of the niggles before you buy and what they cost to fix and you'll keep loving the bike after you have it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 15:22:22 »
I too have a sneaking admiration for the Multistrada - even seriously considered forking out all that money. But I would never, ever consider it as having any kind of Beauty. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 19:57:31 »
Thank you for those helpful replies. Given me food for thought. I've taken your advice and joined a Multistrada forum. I need to investigate a bit more and you're right, it's fun exploring - even if I end up with the reliable old gal in the garage...