Author Topic: dilema ..  (Read 1926 times)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
dilema ..
« on: March 29, 2012, 18:46:06 »
Got the bike booked in for its first service but problem is its on the 11th of April.. I was planning to do some proper mileage in the easter holiday but bike is already on 630 miles..

Was thinking of just changing the oil myself and then have the service on the 11th... any ideas people??
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline TheFamousGrouse

Re: dilema ..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 18:49:44 »
I've taken mine to 1001 miles already, but I may have 'invalidated' my warranty.  lol.

Ask your dealer if you think its going to be a problem.
*Insert intelligent quote here*

Offline dsb79

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 20:47:16 »
ring round some other dealers see if they can fit you in.

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 21:00:10 »
registered independent. It's only an oil change
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline TravellingStrom

dilema ..
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:01 »
Suzuki will back warranty as long as you use the correct oil and filter and observe the service times

So, do it yourself, just keep a record of what you used, which should be a mineral oil
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline TravellingStrom

dilema ..
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 20:08:31 »
I only mentioned the oil change, not the first service, and mineral oil is recommended
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline mr_mal

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 23:53:57 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
Suzuki will back warranty as long as you use the correct oil and filter and observe the service times

So, do it yourself, just keep a record of what you used, which should be a mineral oil

You would have to satisfy Suzuki that you were competent to do the 1st service. By only changing Oil and Filter you would show you aren't.

Why stick with mineral oil? Shorter intervals between oil changes. Most, including Suzuki Dealers, use 10-40W Semi Synth after the breaking in period is completed.

From Ash on Bikes...

Don’t mollycoddle your new engine with expensive oils either. Running in oils are rare and completely unnecessary on a modern engine, but here’s a shock, don’t splash out either on a costly fully synthetic oil until your engine’s covered at least 5,000 miles (8,000km). This comes from the highest authority, Castrol, who would love you to buy the company’s expensive synthetic oils...

This is why the Castrol boys know what they're talking about
Peter Brett says that they’ve discovered synthetic oils actually interfere with running in, for reasons which go beyond their low friction properties - there also seems to be a chemical process happening which hinders it. “Although you can treat an engine as fully run in after 500 miles, surface stabilisation continues for at least the first 5,000 miles of an engine’s life,” he says. “Synthetic oils actively prevent this from happening, and not simply by holding friction surfaces apart, although we still don’t know exactly why and how this happens. But there’s no doubt they inhibit the process itself. So the consequence of using a synthetic too early is your engine will never run in properly. I would even suggest waiting until 10,000 miles (16,000km) before using it in most engines subjected to normal use. Until then, you’re best to use an inexpensive but branded mineral oil.”

So, save money by using a cheaper oil when your engine is new, it will run in properly and you will improve its longevity, power output and oil consumption. Can’t be bad, and that comes from people whose interest is in selling you expensive synthetics.

It’s worth noting that when you do reach the mileage where a synthetic will start to be of benefit, only use a fully synthetic if it’s specifically designed for motorcycles with wet clutches (unless your bike has a dry clutch anyway, eg Ducati, BMW, Guzzi) or you’ll suffer clutch slip. Otherwise go for a semi-synthetic, but even then check it’s suited to wet clutch systems.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:12:29 »
There's an awful lot of misinformation about oils flying about these days. A lot of car manufacturers use full synthetic oils in their cars from new and don't get a change until 20,000 miles. The main benefit of full synthetics are that it retains it's vicosity and lubricating properties for longer so the changing intervals can be extended. Read an article about a Honda Fireblade that was stripped after 100,000 miles and no wear could be detected and it had been run on Castrol GTX, a mineral oil. I've always resisted the publicity to use so called bike oils and never had any engine problems or clutch slip using car oils on any bike I've ever owned. If you put full synthetic in your bike and change it at recommended intervals you really are wasting your money. Either use a semi (and car ones will be fine) or use a full and leave it in for double the mileage and get the benefit.

Offline mr_mal

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:37 »
Well I'm swayed by this article, it's worth a read in its entirety:

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/running

Offline John316

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:30 »
Quality article - thanks :thumb:
John3:16

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 21:07:14 »
Cheers lads

Still though bike is Going to have about 1200 mile before the first service... Should I change the oil about 700 mile myself and then have the first service bout 1200 or just leave it and take it in about 1200????
Cheers

Offline frez

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 21:36:36 »
I'd change the oil, piece of mind for £20.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Ubique

dilema ..
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 22:41:15 »
Quote from: "frez"
I'd change the oil, piece of mind for £20.

+1

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 22:44:18 »
That's what I thought just to get the first run oil and the bits out haha cheers!!! Still Going to have a first service done but wanted to check about the oil :)

Offline mr_mal

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 22:49:36 »
Quote from: "jabmotorsport"
That's what I thought just to get the first run oil and the bits out haha cheers!!! Still going to have a first service done but wanted to check about the oil :)

Why not change the oil as close to 600 as you can- then when you sell it and people ask why you didn't have first critical service as per the book you can show them you covered the most critical part in good time?!

That's what I'd do anyway..,

Offline jabmotorsport

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 22:52:39 »
Yh mate that's the plan just need to get some oil ASAP lol