Author Topic: Sat on a few bikes recently  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Oldie

Sat on a few bikes recently
« on: March 17, 2012, 20:35:04 »
Well, I tried the Wee2 first and found it way to high for me. I presume that I could lower it, just like my old one and I presume that the dogbones are readily available. Price is nice, great engine and looks good too.

Next was the Tiger 800. Fine, if a bit minimalist and at 810mm seat height, just about spot on. Didn't fall in love though, which is a drawback. Great engine, but thirsty, and not excited about the colours. Pricey.

Then we come to the F650GS. I haven't actually sat on it but it's meant to be very uncomfortable, albeit the right height for me. Looks good in the new black/yellow (like the F800) but it's a beemer, so would I always be worrying about reliability? Price is OK (for non-abs).

Others I've thought about.......

NC700X - reports suggest that it lacks excitement. Sat on one at a lay-by and it felt decent, but didn't immediately fall in love with it. Very good price and economy. Plain looks.  Mmmm?

Versys - another high bike, but could be lowered. meant to be very good and reliable. Might go and sit on one.

Transalp - asked a dealer to let me have a sit on one, but he said that he was too busy. Anyway, I'm sure that it will be discontinued and the price might fall at some point. I could probably live with the engine as I know it from the Deau. Don't know much else about them.

Anyway, I reckon that I'll be getting one of the above although sports-tourers might be an alternative - Sprint or F800ST.......although deep down I know that the Wee is the sensible choice.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: Sat on a few bikes recently
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 21:44:13 »
Wee 2 would be my choice - obviously I'm biased...

Tiger 800 - never sat on one but it had just come out when I bought my Wee (2011). Couldn't justify the extra cash at the time.

F650GS. Has the 800 twin with 72bhp so a tad more than the Wee, but to me it always looks the poor relation to the F800GS, especially with the single front disc...

XC700, Looks OK but only I think only 46bhp? Didn't qualify for the all-England Rice Pudding Skin Pulling Championships... There's another thread somewhere on here from a test ride...

Versys, Now you're talking. This ran the Wee very close when I was choosing. Tall, perfect for me, better than the Wee in standard trim (I'm 6'3"), but lost out on space for the pillion.

Transalp, Looks OK ish on paper but is only a five cog box, a bit down on power but very, very old now, the users handbook's in Latin..

You know the Wee2 makes sense....Still, it's nice to look..
No bike at present.......

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 22:45:57 »
The new wee does have a saddle available that lowers the seat by about an inch.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:47:13 »
Ride magazine ran a test recently of the Tiger v the new wee v the F650GS twin v another I've forgotten.

They liked the Tiger the best, and then the wee, saying that if it had been a 650 test the wee would have won. I've had a 650 twin in the past, only one small problem when the removing the key didn't switch off the bike, but apart from that a very easy 15 000 miles. Did over 200 miles to the light cruising at 70mph. You can get seats altered to give extra comfort, so I wouldn't discount it just on that if everything else is good. I don't think the 650GS would be as good two up compared to the wee though.

Offline blackops

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:18 »
Took delivery of my new 2012 wee on Thursday with bash plate and hand guards must say its an great bike loved my old 2008 model but Suzuki have took this bike to a new level to be honest there's not one thing I dislike about it and for the money its got to be the best buy out there by far. I can guarantee that if you are considering a change you will not be dissappointed.

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:18:09 »
well I've had most of the bikes that your thinking about buying apart from the triumph . first the BMW,s , had the 800s - had trouble , then 800st very nice bike, came back from italy in a day on it with excellent mpg ..but again had trouble , the last one was a new 800gs & had major trouble at only 600mls ...will never have a BMW again, made of chocolate ... kawasaki versys , now your talking a great bike had 2, one second hand one new .. excellent on fuel 70+mpg , very reliable, never had a thing go wrong . a bit more vibration than the wee & a bit harder ride that the wee , but handles better , brakes OK ..but not good for pillion , the wife hated it on the back . said it was the worst bike she,s been on, were as she thinks the wee is lovely on the back...the versys and the wee are about the same price [ with Suzuki,s £650 cash back ] give or take a few pounds but I think the wee is a better buy . but then again the finish on the kawasaki is definetly better... I tested the new Honda nc700x last wk . handled good braked well , great finish..but [ and it is a big but ] I would advice anyone buying to definetly have a test ride co,s  its gutless .. 218kgs & 47bhp don't make for excitment . the rev limiter comes in at 6,400rpm & there's nothing below 2,000 rpm so you only have 4,400rpm to play with . I found I  was opening the throttle and waiting for something to happen , not good when overtaking ..but at £5,850 its cheap ..

Offline Oldie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:15:29 »
Sounds like a lowered Wee2 or a smilarly lowered Versys are the best of the bunch. I checked out the Versys forum and they seem to depreciate rather quicker.

I wasn't aware of a low seat option for the Wee, so going to check that out. Thanks for the input chaps.  :)

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 13:39:55 »
The standard Wee seat (on the older one) is 820mm and that's AFAIK the lowest seat, but you could change the rear dogbones to lower the seat height, plus drop the forks through the yokes by a similar amount...
No bike at present.......

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:31 »
it's only 20mm, maybe not enough?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 18:52:44 »
20mm lower seat , change dog bones , raise the forks by 10mm , and remove grommets from seat . It should be a fair bit lower !

Offline Oldie

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 20:08:36 »
I'm now thinking that a second hand Wee might be better - yes I know I was a complete and utter foolish diddy for ever parting with my minted red one  :bawl:  - but there's one local to me, albeit in base spec, for sale privately. Grey, 2200 mls, 2009 for £3400. I've lost touch with second hand values but it seems quite good to me. A Wee2 ex-demo orange is available for £5.5k, so I guess that's the way to guage it. Any thoughts?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 20:18:07 »
Sounds a good buy that 09 model . The thing with buying new is the depreciation , I've only ever brought 1 new bike .

Offline Oldie

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 20:22:45 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
it's only 20mm, maybe not enough?

That would probably be enough, combined with the dogbones, but it's a bit of a pain having to fork out the extra cash.

What I've noticed is that folks are being offered rubbish trade in values for fairly recent Wee's, so I might be better trying to pick one of them up first.

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 21:10:00 »
I've just got £3250 for my 09 ABS  12000miles against a versys 1000  with £700 off list price so I was happy (Paid £5k pre-reg 3yrs ago). I had been offered as low as £2.5k part-ex against a Tiger 800
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Oldie

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 21:44:29 »
You did well, on both counts. That's the way it should be - happy punters all round  :)

Offline Glider65

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 00:31:05 »
Both my 1999 SV650 (naked) and 2005 Wee were new.  Both were 'tired' after having me as their abusive owner for 6 years.  But both ran just fine and kept Colin Appleyard in spanners.  I'd be happy to buy S/h from a dealer too, (and have done) it's just when I want a bike, they're only available new :(

Currently on my Newest brand spanking new Bike - Davina.  Hope she'll last 6 years.  :shock: already had a problem with the top box (jammed locked shut 'cause I stuffed too much in it) and keyless ignition stopped working.  But, she is stunningly gorgeous and I am utterly smitten.

Offline beep

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:05:52 »
Quote from: "Oldie"
I'm now thinking that a second hand Wee might be better - yes I know I was a complete and utter foolish diddy for ever parting with my minted red one  :bawl:  - but there's one local to me, albeit in base spec, for sale privately. Grey, 2200 mls, 2009 for £3400. I've lost touch with second hand values but it seems quite good to me. A Wee2 ex-demo orange is available for £5.5k, so I guess that's the way to guage it. Any thoughts?

I reckon £3400 is about the right price for a minted 09 (maybe more if it's got boxes, a centre-stand etc., which it doesn't). There's a private 09 on sale near me for £3500. A lot of bike for that sort of money. A dealer would probably be asking £4000 for it.

Offline Steve33

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:51 »
Oldie:

Just how "stumpy" are you?  I'm a bit short of leg too (<30" inside leg), but find the Versys loan bike I keep getting is fine for seat height, so don't dismiss it until you've had a go. I find that shape plays just as an important part as height when it comes to bikes.

Re: Versys. I'd definitely consider one in the future. Dedicated road bike (not a problem - furthest off-road I go is a rally field) with cracking brakes and handling, and plenty of go.

My wife wasn't too happy on the back when I gave her a lift on it to collect her bike from the dealers - but that might be the lack of top-box freaking her out (plus I was hooning it through rush hour traffic as the dealer was due to close  :auto-dirtbike: )

Re Transalp:
Can't comment on the 700, but had a 650 for a year. Good solid bike, but heavy and a bit underpowered. Struggled to keep up with my wife's Gladius 650 - even when she had her 33BHP limiter on!
(This was why I changed it for the Vee - get away from me know, will you?)

Re: BMWs
Had three modern ones and two airheads (~30 years old). If you like your bike to start every day and not stop until you tell it, and don't want the paint to fall off when you sneeze on it - the old airheads are a much better bet. All three oilheads had catastrophic electrical failures and cost me loads of money. Shame really as I like the look of the 800 twins.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Oldie

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:55 »
Inside leg is 29" and that equates to being cofortable on, say, the Tiger (810mm setting). My 700 Deauville is 805mm and suits me just fine.

Of course, the shape of the seat is very important too, plus the amount of "squashiness" :)

When I had my Wee I just stuck on the lowerng links and it was fine, but the Wee2 has a higher seat as standard and that's the problem  :bawl:

Offline Oldie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 17:00:04 »
Well, I had a test run on a couple of bikes today. First up was an 11 plate Versys 650 with 6k on the clock. It had a touring screen, handguards and panniers. Not bad for £4.5k. Anyway, it was quite fun although it felt a bit "old school" and it felt more like a 5 year old bike, to be honest. Very tight clutch was annoying but otherwise I had a great time......except for the horrendous turbulence :shock:  Couldn't take it above 90, and I really mean couldn't, due to my napper banging about inside my helmet. Even at 70, things weren't pretty and it would be impossible to tour on this thing, which is a shame as it was otherwise good fun  :shrug: I really don't want to be arsed trying to find a suitable screen.

Took it back and picked up a Tiger 800xc. OK, it's a bit tall for me, but I had a really good blast around town and on the motorway. Thought to myself, "if I could get the low seat option thrown in (which I could) then I'll have one. Unfortunately, when I returned the bike I discovered that I'd lost my wallet (cards, cash, licence, the whole shebang) and had to leave to cancel the bank stuff etc. Rode home on the Bonnie and thought "this feels familiar", and so it is, it's got that special Triumph smoothness and I saw it in a new light, so not sure what to do now  :shrug:

At least the Wee2 can't be any higher than the XC???