Author Topic: Lumpy / jerky part throttle - SOLVED!  (Read 2257 times)

Offline kevshek

Lumpy / jerky part throttle - SOLVED!
« on: March 17, 2012, 17:30:01 »
My K3 with 19K miles on, feels a but lumpy low down in the revs around 2K mark, you know when you're just in slow moving traffic or taking a tight corner slowly in second or even first gear, I've found I have to feather the clutch as the throttle on/off is very jerky. Is it meant to be like that? Or can you suggest any mods to try?

FYI I have the GIpro fitted, and have reset the TPS and the issues was there before and remains.
If you mod it, They will come!
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline chrishassell59

Re: Lumpy / jerky part throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 18:16:24 »
have the same,nature of the beast with a big twin, especially chain driven. Soon get used to it so stop analyzing and enjoy the ride.
NEVER LET YOUR DICKY DANGLE IN THE DIRT!

Offline Steve33

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 20:20:14 »
My K2 Vee is very similar - first gear always feels far too tall.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Vstrombandit

• Bike: DL650XT M0, Triumph Trophy
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 20:49:16 »
Had the same problem as you with my 2010 models it seems that the mapping is set too lean so at low revs you end up jerking, so you increase the revs and feather the clutch. Very easy fix for this model, pop along to your Suzuki dealer and get them to use their yoshi box to reset the mix. The computer plug in is under the seat but its a bit of a so and so to reach if you have big hands. Once its done then acceleration  and trickling along at walking pace is well smooth. Dealers apparantly know of this 'characteristic' of the bike and Suzuki have advised they ensure that the new mapping is installed before delivery of the machine when new.
Semi retired taking it easy but happy to make progress. Riding with Suffolk Advanced Motorcyclists and RoSPA Advanced Motorcyclists.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 16:54:12 »
The 1000s were always a bit lumpy low down and some were worse than others. If the bike has been properly serviced and set up, as has been said getting the fueling remapped may well help if you can find someone to do it. Fitting a timing retard eliminator (TRE) may also help. I did on mine as did fitting some freer flowing exhaust cans. Having said all this all big V twins tend to feel a bit lumpy low down and some are far worse than the Vstrom. Try riding a Honda SP1. The low end fueling on them was so bad as to be almost dangerous on slow corners in the wet.

Offline kevshek

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 23:33:49 »
Quote from: "Vstrombandit"
Had the same problem as you with my 2010 models it seems that the mapping is set too lean so at low revs you end up jerking, so you increase the revs and feather the clutch. Very easy fix for this model, pop along to your Suzuki dealer and get them to use their yoshi box to reset the mix. The computer plug in is under the seat but its a bit of a so and so to reach if you have big hands. Once its done then acceleration  and trickling along at walking pace is well smooth. Dealers apparantly know of this 'characteristic' of the bike and Suzuki have advised they ensure that the new mapping is installed before delivery of the machine when new.

OK, so I now have my own yoshi box, what sort of adjustment am I looking at?
Can anyone give me any tips on where to start?
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:07 »
I hate to point out the obvious but in the post above one writer is talking about a 2003 Vee and the other is talking about a 2010 Wee. They are completely different in this respect.

Offline kevshek

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:59:31 »
Noted thanks
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee

Offline kevshek

Re: Lumpy / jerky part throttle - SOLVED!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 13:06:59 »
Yoshi Box with a 5% increase on Low Throttle has cured it.
The bike feels much much better at low speeds. To give you an example, there a tight left bend into my street. Before I had to either clunk down into 1st gear, or feather 2nd gear, as the revs are around 2K rpm on the corner. The bike used to jerk all over around the bend.

But now, I can leave the bike in 2nd gear, let the revs drop right down to 1.5K rpm and just use the throttle to get me round the same bend.

If anyone need Yoshi Box Adjustments done in the North East or are willing to travel, for a small fee, you can come and use mine.
My current bike HERE.
My Old Vee