Author Topic: had a test ride on the new Honda nc700x  (Read 2494 times)

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
had a test ride on the new Honda nc700x
« on: March 13, 2012, 19:29:55 »
went and had a test ride on the new Honda nc700x today [ £5,850 ] ... I've never rode a bike as dull in my life. there's just no power . the problem seems to be it weighs 218kgs and only makes 47bhp plus it only revs to 6th rpm so that means only 4th revs to play with , not a lot on a bike . on the plus side Honda claim 78mpg , it handled & braked well but that engine [ taken from the jazz car ] is just not up to the job and also vibrates quite badly . I was opening the throttle and waiting for something to happen then the rev limiter would kick in . I tried short shifting but that was no better . don't think Honda are going to sell many of them. for a few hundred pounds more the new wee knocks spots off it .

Offline cotter66

• Bike: 2017 vstrom 1000
Re: had a test ride on the new Honda nc700x
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 20:36:53 »
Agree with u totally,had a test drive 3 weeks ago,looks nice,but drives like an old diesel car,went and ordered a vstrom the next day.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 22:04:21 »
Honda tend to try to make bikes and cars that are all things to all men (and women!) and that often is their problem. I've ridden loads of Hondas over the years, right from the mid 1960s in fact and they often do everything very well but can be very lacking in soul and character. I fancied a Fireblade back in 2001 and luckily went out for a test ride on before parting with my money. Beautifully finished, great handling and brakes, after a few miles to get the feeling of it, gassed it hard out of a roundabout in 2nd gear and waited for it to kick in. Red line on tacho, then 3rd, red line and then fourth to the red line, but no kick or top end rush. Really disappointed. Took it back to dealer's. Thanks very much and went and bought a ZX6R. Wonderful bike, just as quick as the 'blade and a lovely howling engine that just loved to rev.

Offline beep

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:18 »
I had a testride of the NC700X when they first came out. In many ways it's better than the Wee, but like you say it's definately lacking in top end power and general comfort. I quite liked it despite it's shortcomings - it handles very well, is well built, has a better gearbox and brakes. I thought the Wee vibrated more, but may be wrong.

It felt like the NC had as much lowdown power as the Wee, gets to 60-70 fast enough but then there's not a lot left. However the fuel consumption is allegedly very good, as it the price (new) so it might be the right bike for some. They are certainly selling quite well. I'm looking for a change from the Wee but not sure the NC was quite good enough, might go and try the NC700S when it is released. If you're after a cheap bike, with low maintenance and are interested in going over 70 then this might be a good choice, but for most it's probably a bit bland.

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:01:20 »
but like the salesman said we are targeting people who would otherwise go for the BMW 650gs [ the single cylinder model ]  which is the same price & and that's built in china ...yea he's right in that case id go for the Honda ....

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:24 »
I had the earlier Aprilia Pegaso which to all intents and purpoese is the same (ish) as the G650GS - I found it to be a bit underpowered but good fun.. Briefly looked at the figures for it when looking last year - but as I already had the Peg there wasn't much point in changing...
No bike at present.......

Offline Oldie

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 22:30:05 »
Well, I've gone and bought one (silver, like in the photo). Traded in my KTM 125 Duke.

Coming from a Deauville, it will suit me fine and it was the best deal by far. Worked out about a grand less than the best offer on a Wee2.

Yes, I know that it's more of a run a round, but I go through bikes like a dose of salts and it just caught my eye. The main thing is that I'm happy  :)

I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline blackops

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 22:39:45 »
Nice bike looks good in that colour.Congratulations enjoy it.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:00:51 »
Enjoy the new bike. As it's a Honda and only rev's to 6,000 rpm it would be safe to assume the engine will last forever  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline petestrom

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:19 »
Nice looking bike, looked at them myself having had a Deauville in the past.  I'm waiting to see if someone gets a DCT version demo to have a go on, I fancy the idea of that.
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 14:05:45 »
Write up in this months Ride mag , says the engine is basicly a Honda Jaz engine cut in half . Its set up more like a car engine than bike engine , hence the good MPG ..

Offline Oldie

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 14:59:50 »
Quote from: "Locksmith"
Write up in this months Ride mag , says the engine is basicly a Honda Jaz engine cut in half . Its set up more like a car engine than bike engine , hence the good MPG ..

Did they like it?
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that