Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1314904 times)

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #11300 on: May 24, 2023, 04:15:39 »
Fitted a Cymarc gps bracket as the Cosmo one on the bike bounced like a bouncy thing. The Cymarc one is thicker and does not move at all. Then it was a short trip up the road as it was mot time and the bike passed with flying colours, the tester even said that it was the best well maintained bike he had tested all year  :dance:

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #11301 on: May 24, 2023, 13:11:51 »
After my caboom moment I thought I'd get the headlight beam adjusted on the tester before installing all the plastics.
The adjusters are nuts, nuts and more nuts.
4 flaming adjusters for one headlight. Is this another Suzuki'ism? I only had to twiddle my knob on the Pan and it was done.
Timmy the Tester wasn't impressed either, both main and dip are flat beams. So why do we need a left and right adjuster. It's flat. As long as Suzuki mount it square in the plastic you only need an up and down, no. And why can't the main beam just be set by the dip, then it would have to be right.
Nuts......or is it me.
It usually is.
Maybe Kwackers could inform us.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #11302 on: May 24, 2023, 13:22:41 »
To make things worse I believe  that they are one unit so you  would  have to buy the whole  thing  if required. I guess  left right  adjustments  are for different  bulbs which  have a  different  focus,just a guess.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #11303 on: May 24, 2023, 14:00:04 »
Left and right to adjust for which side of the road you drive/ride. As most of continental Europe drive on the right you might thank Mr Suzuki for accomodating those who drive on the left.........  :whistle:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11304 on: May 24, 2023, 15:27:57 »
Doesn't Japan drive on the left (I.e. the correct side of the road), so those who drive on the right-side should be grateful Suzuki accommodated them...?? :shrug:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #11305 on: May 24, 2023, 16:39:57 »
Repaired a puncture!!
Just pulled out onto the main road after leaving Westward Ho & said to Deb "Can you feel that?" 
"Feel what?" she said. "A bump, bump, bump?" I said.
Then the rear of the bike started squirming!!
Luckily there was a layby just up the road so managed to pull in somewhere safe to fix it.
Whatever caused the puncture had worked loose & left a hole, but enough to find easily!
Twenty minutes later we were on our way.
When we got back to the accommodation , I had a quick search & found a motorcycle repair garage not too far away so a quick phone call & got it booked in tomorrow afternoon for an internal patch.
Monkleigh Garage, just South of Bideford if any local Devonians now of it?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Joe Rocket

« Reply #11306 on: May 24, 2023, 16:40:10 »
Yes UK_Vstrom650, you would think that way. However 65% of the world drive on the right and 90% of all road length is driven on the rhs. It appears the correct side as seen and practiced by the majority is rhs.  :haha:

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #11307 on: May 24, 2023, 16:51:32 »
There are all sorts of odd compromises in global vehicles to allow for RHD and LHD configurations.
My Volvo has a tiny screw to turn off the DRLs since I believe they were illegal in Australia in the early 2000s, it also has a very slightly skewed steering column due to obstructions in the engine bay and a special seatbelt buckle to accomodate a child seat but which is on the drivers side since they forgot to move it over.
Ze Chermans were even kind enough to buy Mini, make a vehicle with a single rear door but then have your kids exit into moving traffic if you parked it in the UK :)
Still, it's good that OEMs think about these things and tolerate the existence of variety, right ;)

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11308 on: May 24, 2023, 16:53:30 »
We have Napolean to thank for that.Not the first time the english have done something to piss off the french just 'cos we could.
Ce la vie
ho hum

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #11309 on: May 24, 2023, 17:09:31 »
Yes, yes, but the beam is flat so what flaming difference does it make whether you turn it left or right? The tester said," you can turn it fully left and fully right it still passes".
But yes, of course we ride on the correct side of the road.
VSTROM UK rules  :ty:.
Upt.

Online Joe Rocket

« Reply #11310 on: May 24, 2023, 17:21:56 »
Upt North, it makes a difference to illuminate the relavant nearside kerb. Yes, if it's not too high it won't blind anyone hopefully. It just satisfies lh and rh drive markets.  :thumb:

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11311 on: May 24, 2023, 17:37:32 »
And If I ride on the right it's hard to get my sword out and lop a few heads off !!!

ho hum

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11312 on: May 24, 2023, 19:00:49 »
Barbelmick I'm sure you've done it but ,mobiles being what they are ,I googled the garage and the reviews are very good.
Hope it gets sorted.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #11313 on: May 24, 2023, 19:08:01 »
Cheers Nigel, I hadn't googled them as needed a shower & go & get something to eat...& a beer of course.  :)
Just picked my tablet up to do it but read your post first..........probab!y still will when I've read the rest of the recent posts.  :icon_wink:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #11314 on: May 24, 2023, 19:56:28 »
Removed rear brake disc in a wait for new one. I had an unfortunate event of ride off with disc lock attached, simply forgot about it :( Disc bent. Bought Tourmax replacement, hopefully it is not some cheap Chinese. Even if it is, will have to suffice for a while..... Can't afford any better now.

Tourmax parts are of reasonable quality,  Japanese I believe...
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #11315 on: May 24, 2023, 20:11:08 »
The adjusters are nuts, nuts and more nuts.
4 flaming adjusters for one headlight. Is this another Suzuki'ism? I only had to twiddle my knob on the Pan and it was done.
Timmy the Tester wasn't impressed either, both main and dip are flat beams. So why do we need a left and right adjuster. It's flat. As long as Suzuki mount it square in the plastic you only need an up and down, no. And why can't the main beam just be set by the dip, then it would have to be right.
Nuts......or is it me.
It usually is.
Maybe Kwackers could inform us.

Not a clue why Suzuki do this...  :shrug:

Maybe it's there so fine adjustment can be made because having them fixed might not guarantee a straight ahead beam ...

Could be completely way off there but you never know..  :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #11316 on: May 24, 2023, 20:15:37 »
Installed new rear disc brake, yes kwackboy, I did research and they are Japanese,  happy :)
Can ride again, after today traffic in the car I have enough of 4 wheels. Everywhere jams..

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #11317 on: May 24, 2023, 20:31:32 »
I got home from Spain late yesterday and was told that the muddy track to the house (about 200yds) is going to be surfaced with concrete today. I had noticed the shuttering had already been fitted.

I went to move my bike to a safe place at the end of the drive this morning and found that the shuttering had been completed and I was now boxed in and the concrete was just about be spilt from the lorry. 

Quick thinking, I made a rickety ramp and was just about to ride over the shuttering when a workman shouted "Stop".
He kindly removed some of the shuttering to let me out. Wow! I'm free again to change the brake pads (at my unit) and oil and filter then enjoy this beautiful weather. I'm very, very happy and, now I'm going to be able to keep my bike clean.  :lala:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11318 on: May 24, 2023, 20:37:06 »
Time to get your initials in the wet concrete immortalised?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #11319 on: May 24, 2023, 21:07:55 »
Not only has the local authority abandoned me on an unadopted road but some years ago they removed the name plate so they can deny it ever was a road in the first place.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.