Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1313830 times)

Offline Little Thumper

• Bike: DL650 (2015), CRF250 (2014)
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #7380 on: January 15, 2017, 19:38:50 »
DLste, everything go OK at R&R, Hyde.
Is the tea van still there?
Thanks
Love Will Tear Us Apart

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7381 on: January 15, 2017, 20:44:22 »
Finally got round to cleaning the brake pistons, forgot how minging they get in this weather. Now the pistons are super clean it seems everything I brake the front seems to take a few presses to firm up. Thinking it may be time to change the fluid again (although changed one year ago). Maybe I'll replace the hoses at the same time as they're 5 years old this July.

Also re-greased all the pivots, and had a run to Middlesbrough and back. Bike running at 54-56mpg (imperial) at motorway speeds.

Have noticed in the last few days having handlebar wobble if letting go of them. Am going to check head bearings, though I suspect it's tyre wear (approx 6,500 miles on them).

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #7382 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:07 »
@little Thumper sorry for the late reply yes all went well at R&R good service and yes a buttie van onsite. :thumb:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #7383 on: January 21, 2017, 20:32:45 »
I fitted my Fat Rat Fusebox  :smirk:

*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline JonJo

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #7384 on: January 22, 2017, 14:29:34 »
Washed it and washed it and washed it again. Done ~350 miles this weekend and bike got covered in a mixture of salt and limestone slurry which is all over the road at South Cave.
Got to say that the Keis heated jacket has made me completely think winter riding. Rode home today (~125 miles) in temperatures between -1°C and 2°C and my body was toasty. Lost the feeling in my feet though so need to sort that out next.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #7385 on: January 22, 2017, 15:49:14 »
Washed mine, smeared all the bolts in ACF50 corrosion block, resprayed it with ACF50 and put it on charge.

(JonJo, if you're tempted to get the Keis heated insoles be aware although they plug into the jacket, the jacket controller doesn't alter their heat output so they tend to get too hot).

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #7386 on: January 22, 2017, 18:19:48 »
Started mine..!
Been working away & have only ridden it once since Christmas so gave it a warm through. Should sell it really it I guess.   :shock:

Offline locksim

• Bike: DL650 AL8
« Reply #7387 on: January 24, 2017, 14:30:04 »
Fitted a Givi screen - looking forward to no more buffeting  :lala:

Simon

Offline SpikeTM

• Dilligaf
  • Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #7388 on: January 24, 2017, 16:13:37 »
Fitted bellypan which I reckon looks OK

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #7389 on: January 24, 2017, 17:18:34 »
Fitted a Givi screen - looking forward to no more buffeting  :lala:

Don't be too sure about that!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #7390 on: January 24, 2017, 17:48:05 »
Nice Belly Pan Spike.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #7391 on: January 24, 2017, 23:05:48 »
Tank & airbox off, partly to check everything was assembled & routed correctly after the recalls (it was) & partly because I wanted to get in there & check all of the electrical connectors.

I decided not to sheath the connectors so dismantled them, thoroughly & lathered them in waxoil then relocated them higher behind the frame spar, I hadn't realised there was so much room in front of the airbox - why oh why didn't Suzuki make a row of brackets to support the connectors....?
Anyway, a final gloopy dollop of waxoil to seal them up & all good.

It's good to see my several squirtings of spray grease to the connectors when I first got the bike, kept all corrosion away.

It also gave an oportunity to check & blow out the air filter & run wire from my relay fusebox to power the heated grips & Sat Nav.

Tomorrow, refit sump guard, chain oiker & the shit kit removed before it went in.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #7392 on: January 29, 2017, 15:44:20 »
The weather was coming in sideways today, I decided to fit my Oxford Heated Grips. I played around for ages trying to tuck all of the wiring out of the way neatly, in the end I stripped the side off of the bike.  :fix: I did a quick test of the grips connected directly to the battery and all was well.

Having done a sterling job with the wiring, I applied copious amounts of self amalgamating tape, stood back and declared myself a genius. Then, fired up the bike to find one of the grips not working  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Not to self: Self Amalgating tape creates a superb seal but is a twat to get off  :icon_batterup:

Anyway, all sorted now.

*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #7393 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:17 »
Broken down on the A1 on the edge of Newcastle  :bawl:

Engine just cut out & FI light started flashing. 4 miles from where I was going  :bawl: Awaiting rescue with bike on inside lane of A1...

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #7394 on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:01 »
Any idea what the issue is?

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #7395 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:10 »
Hope you get sorted, scary place being stranded at the roadside

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #7396 on: January 30, 2017, 11:07:52 »
Thanks. Took recovery an hour to turn up,  as loading it into the van Highways Agency put in an appearance - not good it took them an hour considering my bike was causing some congestion & a lorry laid down a large patch of rubber...

Anyway, bike taken to M&S Suzuki in Newcastle. Got it out of the van and the bloody thing started. No FI light either. Have left it there for them to investigate & gone to work. Hopefully nothing too expensive & hopefully fixable by tomorrow as work in Newcastle is finished then.

Not sure what the issue is, the voltmeter stayed above 13 all the way down, and seemed to be running OK.  Nothing obvious happened,  first I knew was the engine just cut out & FI started flashing. Glad I'd stopped filtering at that point and managed to get over to the side of the road.

Offline JonJo

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #7397 on: January 30, 2017, 13:01:25 »
That is a really scary place to breakdown. No way to get off the road now it's been 'improved' and most of the drivers are on zombie death march autopilot as they make their way into work so probably wouldn't notice you.

Took mine to Les Napier this morning to get the All Year Biker treatment. Looked lovely when he'd finished but it's mucky again now.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #7398 on: January 30, 2017, 15:27:32 »
Just had a call from M&S,  bike is showing email faults, 2 MAP sensors and Fuel Pump. They say my electrics aren't charging properly and could be rotor? They've swapped the Reg/Rec but no avail. I told them I've had the Stator changed recently and the 1st new one was duff, but they think that's not the issue (got queried on headlight relays & why installed). It's not the battery. I've said the only thing to have happened recently is Stator recall and this is my first decent run out, so my money is on that. They think otherwise but I've asked them to speak with Suzuki and see what they say as the voltmeter has never read as high as it did (13.6v as opposed to 14.2) since the Stator was swapped.... will see what happens.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #7399 on: January 30, 2017, 20:33:07 »
Will be good to find out what's caused this, as lots of us as you know, are down for recall work. Glad that you and your bike came to no harm.
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/