Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1313375 times)

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12620 on: September 03, 2024, 22:07:01 »
I’m off touring next week, but picked up a slow puncture and wasn’t prepared to mess about……. just over 2000 miles on the outgoing tyre.🤦‍♂️

£175 fitted, ride in. Bridgestone A41.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12621 on: September 04, 2024, 08:00:37 »
That is the cleanest, least cluttered workshop I've ever seen.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #12622 on: September 04, 2024, 09:42:07 »
Protyre, Church Road, Bristol.

They’ve only got one motorcycle mechanic / tyre fitter, but the biggest motorcycle bay I’d every seen.

I had to go to Bristol. The Suzuki dealership in Weston couldn’t fit me in until the 11th September, and they wanted £200. The two other places wanted more than that! One of the fitters at one place asked me what type of bike was a Suzuki V-strom!……. That didn’t fill me with confidence, so walked away.👍

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12623 on: September 05, 2024, 07:14:43 »
Rode the length of Corsica to catch the ferry to Sardinia only to find the ferry company had cancelled all sailings. Rode all the way back so we can catch a different ferry to Italy instead. Didn’t want to risk not getting to Italy to see the Moto GP race.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12624 on: September 06, 2024, 12:38:10 »
Next summer I was supposed to be leading a ride in North Wales. That won't be happening now for reasons I won't go into but I felt it was a waste to bin a potentially nice route, so Wednesday, after lunch I headed up to a campsite I have used before at the far end of Lake Bala.

The weather up was great until I got within about 25 miles of the site.

The ride up was straight up the centre of Wales. Motorway and dual carriageways to Raglan, then A roads to Crickhowell and up to Builth Wells, Rhayader and on up to Llanidloes, all on the A470. At this point I turned onto the B4518, which is an outstanding little twisty road past Llyn Clywedeg that just cuts the corner of the A470 which I stayed on until the Cross Foxes Inn, where I took the tiny B4416 in order to get to the A494

All the roads were bone dry and pretty much deserted until I got to the Foxes Inn, at which point I started to run in and out of showers, most light but occasionally very heavy. My gear is all waterproof, so I rode on and when I got to the valley Bala is in all the roads were completely dry.

There was a shower in prospect, so I threw the tent up ASAP and got all my gear inside before any rain started. I was already cooking when it finally did, and I remained dry, albeit with a very wet jacket and a soggy pair of gloves to deal with.

Thursday morning I was up early to find a bit of a misty morning and by around 8.00am I was rolling out of the campsite, heading for the petrol station at the far end of the village (£1.35 a litre.... what's that all about).

The ride I had planned was around 130 miles and four hours to ride. It was a loop and there was a decent cafe around three hours in.

Anyone who has done the Mac Loop will have done many of the same road. My modifications were to ride in the opposite direction, and just outside Tywyn chop a section of coast road out and instead head down the B4405 towards the Cross Foxes Inn. By the time I was at the top of the first proper climb, the sun was doing it's thing although it was a little chilly and very breezy.

Again, bone dry deserted roads, just shows what going to North Wales mid week, out of season is all about.

The ride was fantastic fun and breakfast was heartening, to say the least.

Once back at Bala, I loaded up my return route home, but with the dire warning of terrible weather close to home in Weston-s-Mare.

Forewarned, I put on my massive Frank Thomas one piece rain suit. Nodding at the occasional other biker (not all nodded back), I felt a bit of a plonker and highly overdressed in the sunny, breezy conditions..... more later.

I took a completely different route home to the one coming up, although over a couple of the same roads I had covered in the morning. This time my four hours were going to be over about 170 miles.

A494 from Bala to Dolgellau, then A470 / A489 towards Machynlleth then turning left with the 470 / 489 until turning right towards Newton. Here I headed down the magnificantly twisty A483 and just like this morning, all the roads were dry and very lightly used until just outside Crossgates where I came across a line of local traffic and a ...... camper van.

To be fair to the van, they did eventually pull in, but I knew from the Sat Nav I was only a couple of miles from Llandrindod Wells, so there was no point stressing.

Next town was Builth Wells, but instead of taking the 'new' A470 I used the old road, the B4567. I was in company with a local in a mini bus on his way home from the school run, but overtook him to enjoy the deserted twisties all by myself.

From there it was a rerun of the day before, Talgarth, Crickhowell, round Abergavenny, down to Raglan where I would hop back on the fast roads and motorways all the way home. And it was at Raglan that the rain started... and did it rain!

It was that was pretty much all the way home, with the heavy traffic either being sensible, or more likely scared by the conditions. Either way it made life easier for me with all the car drivers behaving themselves. Door to door.... well lake to door pretty much four hours exactly including a couple of stops.

Total miles for the trip was 480 and my trusty 650 never missed a beat, damn! I do love this bike.

Next job, sort out the washing, dry off and clean the riding gear, get the tent on the washing line... when it stops raining, and get ready for the Adventure Overlanders show at the end of next week, where I will be going with a handful of mates.

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #12625 on: September 06, 2024, 12:57:24 »
Great ride Neil, sounds like a perfect short break.  :thumb: :text-goodpost:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12626 on: September 06, 2024, 18:58:03 »
Replaced the sidelight bulbs on the Vee.
If you know, you know. Time for a stiff drink 🤣.
Also fitted the Comms to my new lid, after a lot of searching I got creative and went for the same one again but in the pointlessly showy blue carbon this time.

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #12627 on: September 06, 2024, 19:44:00 »
Nice ride Neil - it's not bad that Wales lark is it

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #12628 on: September 06, 2024, 21:46:22 »
Lovely evening, couldn’t resist a nice backdrop for the bike  :grin:

DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #12629 on: September 07, 2024, 08:45:06 »
Great pictures 👍

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12630 on: September 07, 2024, 09:37:00 »
"You can't park there,sir!"  lol
Lovely evening for a bimble round, especially when the day's tourist traffic has disappeared. Spent a week in Keswick in June,sadly in the car. Going back in July next year on the bike.  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #12631 on: September 07, 2024, 09:47:40 »
It’s the best and only time to explore the lakes, unless you like following tourists at 20 mph with there camera phones stuck out of the windows!  :roll:

It was 19 deg last night, perfect temp for an evening bumble. Only issue I found is the LED headlight on the 1050 looks good, but is no where near as effective as my old 2005 DL650. The twin lights were brilliant at night… will have to fit auxiliary lights just to make night riding easier.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #12632 on: September 07, 2024, 09:53:25 »
By the way great spot there Rusty Nuts, not only did I not spot the double yellows but you guessed Derwent water from one shot! Very impressive  :thumb:

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12633 on: September 07, 2024, 14:17:02 »
Out early into a milky dawn and wet roads to use up the last 300 miles before Tuesdays 30k service ( hiking with the family tomorrow so today is the last day).
Headed inland to get away from the coastal mist and after 20 or so miles the road was drying nicely.
Stopped at a new spot in Boxted for a piss and a stretch (the bike is looking good for 30,000 miles ) and in the background was an old bridge.
I like an old bridge , so I ambled down.
Found a rusty gin trap...huh.
Also , as is my want , I had a look under the bridge and found what at first I thought was an earplug case hanging off a bolt, it would have gone unseen from above ?
Odd....How did that get there?
Found a stick and hooked it off the bolt, opened it up and found it was a Geo Cache ( it said as much at the top of the list)?  :shrug:
Inside was a list of names and dates of people who had found it starting 2017 , the latest a month ago.
Very odd.
I buttoned it back up ( I had no pen to add my name to the list) and redeployed the stick to get it back on its bolt.

Anyhoo carried on with the ride and found a great stretch going to Orford, curly roads, no straight bits at all...bliss.

Got home with 29,987 miles on the odo, not bad... the dealer is 15 miles away :grin:

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #12634 on: September 07, 2024, 15:28:42 »
Looks like you stumbled on a geocache.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12635 on: September 07, 2024, 17:09:32 »
 Rusty,
Old school here ............I could google it but.....

What is a "geocache"  for/do ?

Anyone?

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #12636 on: September 07, 2024, 17:25:59 »
People post a location of a box/container to find by GPS coordinates. In the box is usually just a bit of paper where people have written their name and date found, pop everything back for someone else to find. Sometimes people put little toys or painted stones inside, if you find them then you should only take if you replace with another object, keep it going.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #12637 on: September 07, 2024, 17:31:40 »
Couldn’t resist another trip out, this time to Buttermere up the Honister Pass… big mistake! Road was full of cyclists and camper vans, irate car drivers and badly parked morons. I had fun regardless but I forgot that the best time to explore is when they have all gone home. Oh well I’ll head home, will give her a clean and fit some Oxford heated grips instead.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12638 on: September 08, 2024, 05:23:09 »
Ta for the explanaition re geocache, graingerblaze,

I reckon there are worse ways to spend time, it gets people out of the house,if nothing else.

Ho Hum

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #12639 on: September 08, 2024, 08:33:35 »
I knew about it, but don't quite get it.
You put something somewhere.
You tell the whole Internet where it is.
I go there and 'find' it exactly where you said it was.  :shrug: