Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1313453 times)

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12540 on: August 10, 2024, 07:23:27 »
Just home from a couple of days in Cornwall.

A bloke on YouTube that I follow (Helmet Head) wanted a few of the Patreon's of the channel to meet at the Chapter 1 Diner in Indian Queens for the Thursday Bike Night, so as I have never been I thought "why not".

Things did not go exactly to plan.

First the weather was looking poor. Second the google link that was tracking HH as he came down the M5, under J21 where I was due to catch up with him, was not updating fast enough on my phone, so that even with a 'high speed pursuit' from W-s-M to Taunton, I never caught up with him, no matter, I'll tootle down to my hotel... which was fine, until Oakhampton, when the rain started and then later on the A30 over Bodmin, when it really got going.

I was going to pop into the diner before heading to my hotel, but it was chucking it down, so... Turns out 3.00pm check in to Premier Inn means 3.00pm. So I put my wet gear on the floor behind a chair and waited the 20 minutes in a nice warm reception.

Sorry about the puddle Prem Inn!

After several cuppas and extended use of the hairdryer in my room, my kit was acceptably damp.

The Bike Night was wet, so it was just a small group of us, lots of chat and good few laughs.

For Friday, the arrangement was, meet at the diner at 9.30am for a (Helmet Head) breakfast (two of everything), and then I had agreed to lead a ride up onto Dartmoor, where HH could get lots of footage of a Morbidelli 1100 cruiser he is reviewing.

VERY long story short. I had my breakfast at 8.30 and waited for everyone else. I had banked on a 11.00am depart... at which time, one of our party was just starting to eat his breakfast.  :dl_smiley_banghead: Just outside Tavistock, I stopped to allow a couple of blokes to get petrol... which turned out to be a 20 minute fag break. Another 'brief' stop on Dartmoor turned into the same, only a mile from the stop I had planned.. which also happened.

We eventually made it to the lunchtime stop at Jolly Rogers in Bovey Tracey just after 3.00pm. It's well worth a visit and everyone was enjoying the place so at 4.00pm I abandoned any thoughts for the second part of the ride, made arrangements for one of the other blokes to route HH and a couple of others back to St Austell, where their hotel was, and headed for home.

I did the whole trip home across country, as Friday afternoon, in August, in the school holidays the M5 is a car park. Made it home in two and a half hours of gorgeous, mostly deserted A roads.

Final miles, just a touch under 400.

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12541 on: August 10, 2024, 09:27:29 »
NeilM,
Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure there :thumb:
I am severely jealous, I have not had a good long run on the bike for weeks ,seems like.
This weekend will be no different,first game of the football season ( I know ..sad ) later today then tomorrow taking Mum out for her Birthday....
Did manage a short  spirited  :icon_wink: ( cough ) run early this morning , out  at 6.00 dodging the muntjacs (2 of) the pheasants ( about 50 ) and the suicidal pidgeons ( I lost count at 9000 )
Even the trees had it in for me (Infamy Infamy ..they've all got it In for me )
I managed to get round the broken bough to the right .
Stopped for a piss an hour in, next to an abandoned church, they used to let you up there, but people were climbing over it , so they stopped access.
Halfway round  break for petrol and a layby hotdog ( the sheer glamour of it all.. Monte Carlo eat your heart out )
3 hours and 150 miles , that itch has been scratched... at least for now.
Still jealous though.

Ho Hum

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #12542 on: August 10, 2024, 10:59:42 »
@NeilM, you managed to convey your seething anger and resentment very well. A post well worthy of the 'Moaning Old Gits' thread if ever there was one.

I sincerely hope you have stopped your patreon and one-subscribed the self entitled waster.

I really enjoyed your thinly veiled rant. :clap:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12543 on: August 10, 2024, 13:32:04 »
Unsubscribed, without the hyphen, doesn't get filtered. 

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12544 on: August 10, 2024, 14:31:42 »
I have to add, the diner is excellent, I had a lamb and apple burger at the bike night and the big breakfast the next morning and both were outstanding, but...

I don't ride in groups as a rule, but I have ridden with Helmet Head a few times and I do understand that YouTubers stop a lot; to get shots, pieces to camera, drone footage etc.... all of that is a given, but it was the fact that on a ride we were supposed to be doing in order to get on the road 'content' of the Morbidelli (which looks a beast), every time we stopped, for petrol, to point out a feature... whatever. Bikes were parked, helmets and jackets removed and fags broken out... and there would go another 20 to 30 minutes... hence arriving at the 'lunch' venue at 3.00 pm.

The Chapter 1 diner I would happily visit again.... review riding.... ummm, been there, done that, don't need to repeat the experience thanks.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #12545 on: August 10, 2024, 18:22:01 »
Checked my tyre pressures ready for a ride tomorrow…. no idea where I’m going yet.

Neil M…… the only person I go riding with now is my son. Group riding, and catering for several individuals needs no longer appeals to me.

I know…. I’m a miserable git.🤭

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12546 on: August 10, 2024, 18:41:51 »
140 miles over to Llanrwst to retrieve some items we left last weekend.
Glorious sunshine when we left Sheffield, utterly vile wet misery through Staffordshire (as always), back into glorious sunshine in Wales. Lots of fun exploring some rural 'roads' around Mold,Gellifor,Ruthin area and then a great blast over the Denbigh Moor Road to Cerrigydrudion and the hill top route into Llanrwst. Off to the chippy for tea before a rural ride home tomorrow, hopefully in less precipitous climatic conditions.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12547 on: August 10, 2024, 20:40:12 »
Met my brother for another ride together. Headed in the direction Layburn and we were supposed to go on towards Hawes, but the main road through was closed at Middleham, so we did our own detour from Middleham to Kettlewell via some single track roads though stunning scenery. We were then supposed to loop around towards Aysgarth but due to some expert(??) navigation by me, ended up in Skipton  lol
Another run back towards Ripon and on to  Boroughbridge before parting ways. Good run out with c. 150miles covered  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #12548 on: August 10, 2024, 21:01:52 »
Managed to sneak out for a little blast up the Kirkstone pass, such a lovely evening. I’m looking forward to trying the same twisty roads on the 1050 at some point. Will be painting and tiling come next weekend for at least a few long weekends, not sure I will get much riding done. Still, this evening was great, hope you all enjoy tomorrow.
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #12549 on: August 11, 2024, 10:02:23 »
NeilM - there's an old saying - "No good turn goes unpunished". to be honest The only group that I felt safe and happy riding with were V-Strommers.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #12550 on: August 11, 2024, 10:07:48 »
nigel s  - pidgeons on the road in the morning are maybe just enjoying the latent heat from the day before that is held by the asphalt. Just to warm their feet.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #12551 on: August 11, 2024, 10:54:23 »
Managed to get in a 150 mile run yesterday then checked the bike over this morning before its mot later in the week.
  Park, position bulb gone in the headlight, not sure it would fail for this. We don't have dealer mot's here but government run centres so if you get a jobs worth you never know.
This is the third bulb I've had to replace in 10 years, come on Suzuki up your game!

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #12552 on: August 11, 2024, 13:19:27 »
In the old days when we had a parking /side light option on the switch they might have noticed it but as our headlights are on all the time they might not  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
With that sort of reliability you might want to look for a new bike :)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12553 on: August 11, 2024, 15:54:44 »
Brockett,
I think you are correct about the pigeons(no d..I spelt it wrong too.. doh.. sorry ) at least in part. I am no bird expert , but have developed a passing interest since feeding the birds at work (I am on the third generation of sparrows and they will come right up as long as I sit still)
Pigeons pick up grit from the roads for their crops to grind the seeds they eat is part of it too , but I THINK  :shrug: the main reason ,as ever, is sex :icon_wink:
It seems often to be 3/4 birds , 1 female and 2/3 males trying it on and they play chicken (HOH) and don't want to be the first to move away from the female. That is why they scare the shit out of me on early runs when no one else has been down those small roads to "sweep" them away.
I had one destroy the screen on my fazer 1000 at 60mph , then what was left of it hit the top of my lid...It is quite a bang.Claret and feathers all over.

Ho Hum

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12554 on: August 11, 2024, 17:28:28 »
Mega ride home from Wales in the heat. The holiday spots (Bala, Llangollen etc) were rammed as expected but we found plenty of alternative tarmac which was deserted and gorgeous. Wonderful lunch at The Sun Inn at Trevor and then a cold drink and an ice cream at Beltonville just before home.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #12555 on: August 11, 2024, 18:18:18 »
Rixington43   I love the way you both ride together 👍

Offline buzzwold

• Bike: 2022 DL650 AM1
« Reply #12556 on: August 11, 2024, 20:45:00 »
Very pleasant ride over to the Honey cafe at Talgarth this morning, accompanied by my daughters partner on his Trident.
Was thinking of heading to the Baffle Haus originally, but decided that it would probably be rammed. As it was, there was quite a lot of bikes at the Honey cafe with all outside seating already taken however, plenty of room inside where we both enjoyed a breakfast and a brew.
Really getting used to, and thoroughly enjoying, riding the v-strom. My first "big" bike and
I reckon, the perfect choice for me. Hopefully first time moto camping in a few weeks time, looking forward to it.

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
What I haven't done to my V-Strom today. Help Needed Please.
« Reply #12557 on: August 13, 2024, 18:23:11 »
I got a puncture in my rear tyre just before going on holiday, over a 100mph at the time. I ordered a new tyre on my return, took the rear wheel to a man who fitted the tyre for £5 (I gave him £20). Exited I returned home and re fitted the wheel but had problems with the rear brake caliper. I took the bracket that holds it on, off to get the wheel off and can't refit it.

I have replaced brakes on most types of bike in the past and something I find simple and easy but this time I have a mental block. It's a Suzuki DL1000A 2014. I can't for the life of me figure out how it fits even after photographing it and going and asking the chap who fitted the tyre I still can't do it.

I haven't got a manual but I did find an exploded view of the caliper but although I can see how it fits, I still can't fit it. Is there anybody who lives near Whiddon Down, Devon who would like to pop in for a cup of tea and maybe a piece of cake then show me how it fits? A reasonable payment would gladly be paid too.

I will get my hands dirty and I'm sure that when you tell me how it fits I will kick myself (or you can oblige) and have it on in a jiffy. I asked the tyre fitter, mechanic to come the 3 miles to my house and do it (obviously for a payment) but he said he didn't work like that.

If you or someone you know can help, please pm me. Thank you in advance.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #12558 on: August 13, 2024, 20:20:37 »
Remove the exhaust end can for some room, remove the brake caliper and pads from the caliper support bracket, 10mm and 14mm bolts. Fit the wheel in place, chain on, wheel spacers in then fit the brake caliper support into the brake disc, the lug on the support brake fits into the swinging arm. Can be a fiddle to get in without knocking the wheel spacer out, helps if you have the wheel lifted up an inch or so on a bit of wood or the like.
  Fit the pads back into the support bracket, push the rest brake piston right in, slide it over the pads, fit bolts, go easy with these till you know every thing lines up.
 That's how I do it anyway, good luck.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #12559 on: August 15, 2024, 11:34:26 »
Completed my Strom's 21st Service and 18th MOT and that will take me in to a third decade of owing it.

It's mad to think how much time has passed with a lovely Silver Frame to admire.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi