Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1313520 times)

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12480 on: July 24, 2024, 21:08:17 »
Thanks everyone for there advice, I'd be foolish to miss this opportunity whilst things are stripped down. I like the syringe idea coupled with brockets plan. Plus my 8year old granddaughter will be around on Sunday, she doesn't mind getting stuck in and little fingers are very handy at times.
On a more worrying note, after reading the moaning old git thread. I'm a bit worried about my new spring's turning up, they are with EVRI and they have a poor rep around here.
I can only hope :dl_hyperhysteria:
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #12481 on: July 25, 2024, 10:57:18 »
I hope you don't find this....
The bike, an M800 so not a strom, showed no signs of this. I had a look anyway and found this:

The seal under the bearing that keeps moisture from ramming up into the bearing also stops any moisture that gets in from the top, getting out.
The upper headrace was in perfect condition.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #12482 on: July 25, 2024, 13:28:02 »
Yesterday .... had a few hours spare yesterday afternoon so had a ride out to a cafe I've passed many times but never called in.
Beltonville Farm Shop, near Miller's Dale, Derbyshire. Cracking breakfast, friendly staff & quick service. Plenty of room too. They also have a campsite & welcome bikers, but not in groups! Bands on at the weekends & there's also a bar, what's not to like?
Entrance has a bit of loose gravel but quite manageable.
From there we carried had a ride round, eventually arriving at Ilam, where there just happened to be an ice cream van.
Nice day out, with 85 miles put on the odometer. 
A few photos to prove it happened .....

PS Deb, likes to know what trees she spots & she's taking a photo of the leaves to check it's ID later.  :crazy:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #12483 on: July 25, 2024, 13:45:41 »
Top researching Mick and Deb. I think the tree is a willow.

Edit. How is the screen with it's new screen fitted?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12484 on: July 25, 2024, 15:05:19 »
That looks a good cafe stop, ride past it quite often but always about 20mins after leaving Flash Bar so a bit early for more snacks.
May have to try it out as I do enjoy the route from Buxton Raceway to Castleton via the Quarry.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #12485 on: July 25, 2024, 15:34:32 »
Sure it's not a Rowan (Mountain Ash)?

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12486 on: July 25, 2024, 16:18:09 »
According to Deb's app (Plantnet) it's a Rhus Typhina, or Stags Horn Sumach. It's not a native tree.  :)   https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/20902/rhus-typhina/details
Rusty, Deb thought it was from the Ash family on first look. :thumb: Although the Rowan is not part of the Ash family the leaves look similar.

The deflector screen I fitted has sorted the buffeting out by maybe 80/90%. There's still a bit there around 55 - 65 mph now but I'm still trying different positions.
The only problem is it was a cheap thing & I think the 'adjusters' are going to break before I find the correct position!  :roll:

Rixington, we'll definitely be calling again. Don't know what it's like at weekends but wasn't busy yesterday. It's only 10 minutes from The Yonderman, but it's easy to miss or just ride by because it's between bends & by the time you've spotted it you're around the next bend & then it's easy to head elsewhere. 
Mick

Offline TLPower

« Reply #12487 on: July 25, 2024, 16:28:02 »
@Rusty, Rowan (Mountain Ash) is a good call, but I didn't notice any berries. The leaves are certainly a similar shape.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #12488 on: July 25, 2024, 16:40:40 »
@Barbel Mick, https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_Spares.html?gad_source should take you to the MRA spares page. I bought the MRA hinges for my home made deflector. Take a couple of brave pills before drilling. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #12489 on: July 25, 2024, 17:15:04 »
I'll dig the MRA X-creen out before you start drilling, Mick.
May be a foray into the loft.

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12490 on: July 25, 2024, 17:16:00 »
I do a fair bit of perspex drilling at work, and find a slightly blunter drill bit works better than a new sharp one. The new one tends to bite as it goes through the other side, causing the cracks you can get with perspex. I will sometimes stop just as the bit is just showing on the other side, turn it over and finish from that side. Always use a battery drill , they stop as soon as the trigger is released so are more speed controllable.

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #12491 on: July 25, 2024, 17:21:52 »
I've used tile drills in the past, abrasive flat bladed jobs. The MRA comes with 2 mounting options, big brave boy drill & bolt or Walter the softy clamp-on.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12492 on: July 25, 2024, 21:18:49 »
Quote from: TLPower source should take you to the MRA spares page. I bought the MRA hinges for my home made deflector. Take a couple of brave pills before drilling. :thumb:
[/quote
What are you suggesting Jonathan, use the Perspex from my cheap screen & modify it by fitting MRA attachments?
But looking at these, they look exactly the same as the same fitting that's on mine! Would you think that they could be the same or better quality for the money?
I could buy 4 of my screen for the price of those.  :whistle:
The one that you suggested is a better price but as you say it would involve drilling the screen & I'm not sure I'd want to take such a risk?  :icon_no:

Martyn, I certainly wouldn't mind having a look at it, even if it's just to see if it is a better quality product & worth paying the extra for.  :) And, if you want to sell it I'm sure we could do a deal.  :thumb:
Mick

Online Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #12493 on: July 26, 2024, 15:35:02 »
A blast up the Cat & Fiddle today. The plan was A54 to Willdboarclough, through Macclesfield Forest then back up to A537. However, A54 was closed for resurfacing so ended up doing it in reverse. Stopped at Peak View tea room for lunch (nice!) then back home via Buxton, Miller's Dale and A623 back to Chesterfield.  85 mile round trip. Currently downloading video files - could take a while to edit 3 cameras footage.

Online nigel s

« Reply #12494 on: July 27, 2024, 15:29:43 »
Run over to Saffron Walden today, testing the Garmin Zumo XT.
First thing is the screen is brilliant, in both senses, not once could I not see it at a glance, sun or no sun.
A definite improvement on the phone.
Going there I set it to the most adventurous route and it chose the route I would have taken :lala:
Coming back I tapped home and set about confusing it.
It didn't like that.
The first couple of times I went off route it rerouted no problem, but then things got weird.
It WOULD have got me home , but kept trying to reroute back to the nearest point on the original route.
Not necessarily the best  or shortest route from where I was then :shrug:
Hmm.
Going to have to look into that, I'm sure there is something to be done.
I just have to read the 4,00000000000 posts on the Garmin forum :icon_wink:
In the end , while in " explore " mode, I found the best result was to turn the route off and just have the map view on , that way I could zoom in and out and find my own way.
Early days yet but an impressive bit of kit, especially if linked to the app for live updates.
A couple of times it told me about delays up ahead and I detoured another way :thumb:
I did 275 miles all told , and yes I probably could have done it quicker following the route it gave me to go back....but for me that's not high on my priorities ...most days.
Will fiddle some more with it .

Ho Hum

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #12495 on: July 27, 2024, 19:48:18 »
I've just liked the above nigel s because you've visited my 'home ground' before jumping ship to France 30 years ago. I shall be back, in September ........  :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Online nigel s

« Reply #12496 on: July 28, 2024, 05:22:34 »
Saffron Walden is one of the nicest towns in East Anglia , I think , not too gentrified and the people are friendly.
Not at all Like Woodbridge :icon_wink:

Ho Hum

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #12497 on: July 28, 2024, 16:00:55 »
Yesterday ..... I needed a repeat blood test & looking on 'Swiftqueue earlier in the week, it would be 3 weeks before I could get an appointment at a local hospital or clinic but I could get one yesterday at Walton Hospital in Chesterfield, just a short 30 miles up the road.
We went on the bike, quick 5 minutes getting the blood test & then it was off to find somewhere to replace the protein, sugar & cholesterol that were removed from my body!
I'd heard of a café in Beeley which had now reopened after being close for a few months. It was only 20 minutes away so off we went.
It's called The Old Smithy (Chapel Hill, Beeley, Matlock DE4 2NR) and it's very nice. Not the cheapest café, or perhaps 'tea rooms' would be better, in Derbyshire but great quality food & friendly & attentive staff. Full English for yours truly & Eggs Benedict for Deb.
After that a ride over to Monyash for an ice cream but just as we got to Monyash it started raining so we took a diversion away from the big black cloud & took a long route home. The ice cream will have to wait.
Another 90+ miles on a lovely day bar 5 minutes of rain.

Mick

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #12498 on: July 29, 2024, 19:57:13 »
We had a good ride out today ,setting off at 7.30 and getting back home at around 3 o'clock covering 300miles.
We stopped for a cupper and sandwich for about 30mins but spent the rest of the day on the bike going up to scotch corner and back through the Yorkshire dales. The bike performed  brilliantly and both the wife and I consider the 800 to be as comfortable as any of our previous V-stroms.

We wanted a good run out as we are hoping to get a week away on it next month.
On some bikes in the past I have fitted comfort seats and changed the suspension but I don't think I need to bother changing these on this bike.

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #12499 on: July 30, 2024, 08:22:56 »
Sunday to be accurate but - saw a complegte bargain (in Cirencester) on a replacement sleeping bag for my upcoming jaunt into Germany.  Having never been over to the cotswolds I figured id make a day of it and popped over to Bourton on the water and Stow on the Wold seeing as I was in the area.  Both villages are stunning, very touristy on a day like Sunday and a complete traffic nightmare.  Kudos to those that live there and put up with it - I could not and was very thankful to be on 2 wheels.  I came back via Gloucester and Cheltenham and, again having never been to either before, enjoyed both and was mildly amused that GCHQ is so well signed.