Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1313517 times)

Offline Gillie76

• Bike: DL650A K9
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12460 on: July 18, 2024, 14:31:52 »
Looks great down there! Keep meaning to go and explore, always tend to go to Moffat or Langholm, would you say it's a day trip?

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12461 on: July 18, 2024, 15:35:11 »
I wanted to try out a couple of Beemers for size as I am looking at a fly and hire holiday next year.

BMW Motorrad in Exeter had both an F750GS and an F850GS so off I went and tried them both for size.. the 850 was closest to my L4 650, so, that done it was across the road to the Pitstop Cafe to try out a breakfast.... and very nice it was too.

Out of Exeter on the A377 heading for Crediton, with a plan to turn right and head over the hill to Tiverton... but, oh no you don't!

ROAD CLOSED

The diversion signs appeared to send me back to Exeter or through Crediton, neither of those options appealed, so I headed in the direction of Barnstaple, remembering that there was a turning right in Down St Mary that I took some while ago...albeit, I was following my Beeline.

Anyway, I bumbled along some amazing country roads, some narrow and slow, others open and fast and all of them deserted.

I just kept following my nose / the sun / the lie of the land and eventually found Black Dog and a little after that Nomansland, at which point I saw a sign for Tiverton 14 miles.

The road from here got a bit wider and the bends a bit more open / fast. I had a brilliant run and only saw one small tractor over the whole ride.

The other side of Tiverton I picked up the A396 for a short while until the Exeter Inn, then I swung a right to Bampton and then on to Wiveliscombe all on the B3227, which is a little bumpy in places, but has some really long sections where it's possible to 'make good progress'.

After Wivvy, I cut through to Bishops Lydeard, through Enmore to Bridgwater, then back to Weston the long way and it was blummin hot!

About 135 miles I think. Very nice.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline SD12463

• Bike: DL650A L8
« Reply #12462 on: July 18, 2024, 17:08:31 »
Gillie76
If we are still talking about D&G, ~ I came back thinking I need to consider at least an overnight to make it more enjoyable. My day trip was great but certainly one of my longer trips, it's just that feeling when you look at how far left to get home... confirmed this is about as far as I would want to go on a day. Each to their own though, reminds me of a biker we met many decades ago told us he did Scotland in a day....  all the way round. Eh? :shock:

Offline Gillie76

« Reply #12463 on: July 18, 2024, 20:34:04 »
Thanks SD 👍 sounds like there's more to explore than it looks then 😂

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #12464 on: July 19, 2024, 18:39:02 »
Lovely evening, warm and sunny at last! So had a blast up and down the Hartside Pass. Although I’m now selling my bike, it never fails to impress and put a smile on my face. These really are great bikes!
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12465 on: July 20, 2024, 12:01:13 »
Forecast was for 28/29 c today ,so early 7:30 start to get up to Kings Lynn.
22c already.So perforated leathers ,shorty gloves and a quarter turn off the scottoiler... Phew.
On the way up on a b road national the arctic in front waves me past, nice man.
Bit further up is a turning to my left with a red car ( Peugot , I think, not an expert, only owned 4 cars )
Spidey sense starts to tingle , so I roll off.
Sure enough, just as I hit the horn as "hello I'm here" and brake ...she tries to pull out, realises I'm there and stops.
I had left time/space if she had kept coming so a dark look will suffice.
Just past her I look in my mirror on hearing air horns ......and yep...... she just did the same to the arctic following!!!!! :icon_batterup:

Some times  :icon_no:

On to Lynn and 24c when I park up.
Quick shuffle to M&S for socks , cos I'm a style icon lol ,and back home on the main road to get some cooling breeze.
Mostly worked.
28c on arrival home ..Phew.

Ho Hum

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #12466 on: July 20, 2024, 15:57:49 »
So I was getting the click click and no start when I pressed the button.
I knew the earth connection was good
Battery is only a year old.
Once it does decide to start all is well for that day. So yesterday I started it by shorting the solenoid, worked first time. Then tried on the button: click  :angry-banghead:
On to eBay and bought a new solenoid at approx 3pm yesterday https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145503532401
Arrived this morning  :grin: and fitted it in a few minutes. Started first time and every time since.
Very satisfying.
Solenoid looks and feels to be good quality and of course it works! Shows the same makers name, but I don't really know the origin. Fowlers want eighty odd quid  :icon_exclaim:
So this one for less that a quarter of that seems very good value.
Off for a short run before the rain arrived. All good.
If only all repairs were so easy ...........
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Online nigel s

« Reply #12467 on: July 21, 2024, 14:38:12 »
Another go at the Beeline.
I set my phone up on the Ultimate Addons mount with the Beeline app showing while at the same time connected to the Beeline itself.
All good ......for a bit ........then the Beeline froze again but the phone is showing it has " auto stopped ,move to continue"
AHA
Go into settings and shut of the auto stop.
Try again and...........NAH.
The phone is pointing right.......the Beeline left :dl_smiley_banghead:
Give up and carry on with the ride, at least the temp is more reasonable today.
Karma is smiling on me when I get home 'cos I get an email from Bennets bike social about various money off deals.
Garmin Zumo XT now £277 with the Bennets discount. :grin:
Duly ordered.

More tech for me to Feck up.

Ho Hum

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12468 on: July 21, 2024, 15:16:32 »
That's a bargain price. I've been looking at Satnavs ever since my 2009? Tomtom car one finally gave up but have been reluctant to pay £350 for the Zumo or equivalent TomTom. Let us know how you get on with it.

Online nigel s

« Reply #12469 on: July 21, 2024, 15:36:10 »
I have been looking at the ZumoXT for a while now that the prices have dropped due to new XT2 being out but the Beelines Compass mode was great for the sort of aimless wandering I tend to do .
Now I can't rely on it .........it had to be replaced.
As to how well the Zumo will deal with me ignoring it and going my own way........ :shrug:

Will post on how I get on.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12470 on: July 21, 2024, 16:33:54 »
I was very reluctant to go the full Sat Nav route but the XT has been a revelation. I haven't used it abroad yet but will do in the Autumn. So far it's made life easier, which is a good thing.
Before that I used phones and apps which is borderline crap. Just my opinion. I did consider the B Line thingymabob but I wanted hotel, fuel, choice of routes etc and it's nice to look at a map.
Obviously I still carry a paper map, I do like spreading a real map out on the Café table to plan the next day.
Good luck fella, I think you'll love it.
Upt.

Offline Gillie76

« Reply #12471 on: July 21, 2024, 17:14:33 »
Did the fast bit first and hit the A7 to Langholm, stopped for a quick leg stretch, then the b road twisties home. Didn't even take any pics, was in the zone and didn't want to lose the flow 😀😂 So glad I bought this Vstrom, it makes me happy. Found out one of my screen rubber grommets with thread in it was cracked and making the left hand part of the screen wobble, ordered some new grommets so hopefully they are the right ones!🤞

Offline Sir Trev

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #12472 on: July 21, 2024, 18:11:40 »
Took Bullseye out for a run round the fringes of the Cotswolds. I need some new textile strides so stopped in the Megs Store in Swindon and then JnS near Eynsham to peruse my options. Before I set out though I moved the screen down to the lowest of its three positions. My 800 came set in top when I picked it up and oh my gosh, the turbulence has all but gone. So much calmer around the bonce now.

Another plus is I now have the magical 600 miles on the clock for the initial service. Shame I still have more than two weeks to wait for my workshop booking but the motor is loosening up a bit now and I'm loving it more and more every time I go out on it.
We are the Goon Squad and we're coming to town - BEEP BEEP!

Offline Rookie

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #12473 on: July 21, 2024, 21:10:23 »
Finally bit the bullet and decided to get the forks off the bike and service them. Actually forced to do them as one was starting to weep a bit. What could go wrong...!
Actually for a 16 year old bike and I doubt it they have ever been touched before, the only hard part was undoing the bolts that retain the damping rods from the form bottoms. I did think I was in trouble there. It's funny how one thing always leads to another, on inspecting everything I found that the fork springs where about 1 cm under minimal length. Everything else seems to be within tolerance according to my limited abilities.
So to add to the cost of new fork springs, question of the day is. Do I replace the shims at the bottom of the forks or go with what I've got.I

And yes I know while it's all off I should check and regrease the head bearing, but I'm not certain of my skills and any extra costs either.

As upt North would say

Ho hum!
That ain't rain it's liquid sunshine 🌞

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12474 on: July 21, 2024, 23:14:05 »
Checking and greasing the bearings is pretty easy but I did buy the proper castellated socket for the lock rings, only about £20 and well worth it. There's a bit of trial and error to get the preload right but it's not difficult. If the bearings are shot then it gets a bit trickier for sure so best to head (pun intended) that off at the pass if you can.
I got out for a few hours today around The Peaks, great run once we got past the road closures for a cycle race. Did have a few issues with lycra louts cutting us up at junctions to save race time but an enjoyable jaunt none the less via Flash Bar for lunch and Mortimer Road to the folks for a brew.
Ticked over 37.5k miles so treated her to a tank of premium on the way home.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #12475 on: July 22, 2024, 08:42:23 »
Rookie - If you undo the fork stem nut(s) a few turns you can check if there is any grease in the lower headrace.  If all is well you can just tighten the nut(s) again. If the bearing is a pile of rusty balls then they really should be replaced.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12476 on: July 22, 2024, 17:01:59 »
As suggested in the LED light thread on this very forum, I ordered some LED replacement lamps for the sidelights of my 650 and today was fitting day.

Well, what an absolute phaff that was!

Never mind that the instrument panel has to be undone and pulled out of the way to get to the lampholders.  You then have the joy of trying the grip the connectors to try and release them from the lampholders, and that is nothing like as easy as it sounds. But that's the easy bit. Once the connectors are removed you have to turn the small and sharp holder a half a turn anticlockwise.

The o/s holder was relatively easy to get a hand or three to. It's too sharp and difficult to grip between thumb and finger of one hand but using the index fingers of both hands, one pushing at the top, one pushing at the bottom, the holder released.

The n/s holder is a lot harder to get a hand to, but actually a 14mm open ended spanner fitted on perfectly and the holder was out and back in again in short order. For reasons unknown the spanner trick did not work on the o/s, so there was a lot of pushing and twisting and complaining until it locked home.

And then it had to come out again as I had not realised the LED's were polarity sensitive.... actually it's obvious when you think about it... anyway, job finally done and lamp checked BEFORE I put the holder back, it was time to fiddle the instrument panel back into place.

Finished!

There are some photo's on the LED thread, the lamps do look a lot whiter and a little more sparkly, and will use a little less electrickery... which is nice!
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Kevrid

• VStrom = Vlad the strom one
  • Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #12478 on: July 24, 2024, 08:26:17 »
Just spent last two weeks doing oil, filter, chain and sprocket and brake pads. I’ve brought mine to work today to show her off. She’s all ready now for Scotland early September
The force is Strom in this one.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #12479 on: July 24, 2024, 20:54:04 »
Went for a short run. It started reliably thanks to the new solenoid. Joy!
Also went far enough and fast enough (not very fast!) to prove that for me at least removing the hand guards has been a good move as it calms down the turbulence.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"