Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1249447 times)

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12340 on: June 06, 2024, 14:55:51 »
Took the Givi Monokey adapter plate off the rear rack, on the ‘for sale section’ if anyone is interested. I really don’t like top boxes, so easy to over load… makes my front wheel feel to light.  fitted the SW-Motech Alu-Rack as I prefer to use panniers and just strap my tent to a rack. Will road test it this weekend, if it stops raining.

Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12341 on: June 06, 2024, 15:53:58 »
Fixed my gear indicator, followed a vid on Youtube to remove it (you do not have to drain the oil like Haynes and the service manual will have you believe, if it's on level ground). Sprayed liberally with WD40 and worked it round and round and round and rou....

Does anyone have a good way (or product recommendation) for removing old chain lube/grease flung under the front sprocket cover? I know that if you get it wet, it turns into black paint, so I've just been trying to scrape the majority off with a stiff brush/flat edge, but wondered if there was a better way.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12342 on: June 06, 2024, 16:14:51 »
Scrape it off like you did and then use an aerosol brake cleaner. Make sure it's compatible with rubber seals though. Some brake cleaner is only any good at cleaning discs and drums off, it's just a degreaser/cleaner and never meant to be used near rubber.
"LOOK AT THE STATE OF YOUR HANDS!"
Upt.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #12343 on: June 06, 2024, 16:46:12 »
I remove the majority with flat blade screwdrivers and put a drain pan of warm water underneath, paint on a neat degreaser like gunk and then keep brushing the area with the warm water and degreaser falling into the drain pan.
Chain cleaner spray is my personal choice for the final film of shite.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12344 on: June 06, 2024, 18:00:37 »
I think the majority is from the previous owner who had a scottoiler fitted - I use the Motul chain paste, and cleaned out the front sprocket cover last year and it's not built up inside the cover since. It is preventing corrosion though, just a bit unsightly!

I will be airing my dirty bike in a post soon on how to sort the sensor out... no teasing now!

Offline rus998

• Bike: DL650XTA L6, Vincent Comet
« Reply #12345 on: June 06, 2024, 19:26:46 »
Just got back from a fantastic day spent riding some fantastic roads with our South Coast member pb. Blue skies, nice coastal views and the best breakfast bab that I have had. Thanks Pete for a great end to my holiday.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12346 on: June 07, 2024, 05:34:39 »
For the front sprocket area, Gunk again, done on the concrete in front of my garage and rinsed with my pump up sprayer.
Repeat as needed.

Another big stain to add to the many already present.

Ho Hum.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12347 on: June 07, 2024, 17:14:21 »
At 12:57 today I decided to slope off early from work to take an unexpected , illicit (two of my favourite words ) ride .
At 13:01 I am mid slope off the yard and the Boss spies me , taps his watch, then grins and says "ride safe ".....nice man.
A quick 100 mile blart round the countryside has me feeling good, seems I was not the only one with the idea , bikes all over the shop.

Ho Hum

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12348 on: June 07, 2024, 20:52:16 »
Took a few bits & pieces off the old girl ready for p/x'ing to the 800.

I was offered what I considered a very fair price for the 650, but was also told I'll get the 800 at the same deal if I pay in full or p/x, so considering offering it up for sale on here at a similar price.
It's just, can I be bothered with the hassle. It sounds much easier to ride it in hand over the keys, pick up the new keys & ride away. (I'll have a tear in my eye either way.  :bawl:)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12349 on: June 08, 2024, 04:41:54 »
Mick,
Are you going to be sneaky and swap the Nitron shock for the std one? (if you still have it).
Someone on here will take it. :icon_wink:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12350 on: June 08, 2024, 06:40:29 »
Just back from spending the week in North Wales, camping near Bala.

Considering how close the area is to home (4 hrs ride) I really haven't spent enough time there, the riding and views are all utterly stunning.

Went to the Ponderosa cafe.... don't, it's decor is 1960's truck stop. Nice coffee though. The Horseshoe Pass was OK but the roads afterwards towards Ruthin are terrible, probably deliberate to slow down the speedy drivers / riders.

I got a little off the beaten track a few times and found some really exciting rides, good job I'm old and cautious cos a younger wilder rider could seriously raise their adrenalin levels.

Yes, the 20 MPH limits EVERYWHERE are a PIA. Worse are the ARAF SLOW road markings with bumps.... ohh yes, a suspension pounding right on the entrance to a tight bend / roundabout... just what a rider wants.

Overall it was an amazing week.

1100 miles door to door, I must go back. Soon!

Oh nearly forgot.

HELLO Ian. (Fellow VStrom 650 owner and forum member who I met on the campsite.)

I hope you had a good trip home.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12351 on: June 08, 2024, 10:43:07 »
Nigel that was my plan originally. Although the original shock has long gone & was replaced by a YSS shock. The story is on here somewhere, but I wasn't happy with that 2 up so put the Nitron on.
I still have the YSS (close to brand new & a spare spring with it) & went out yesterday to swap the Nitron for it, but the poor old bones couldn't manage crawling underneath it for an hour or so.  :old:
The Nitron will go with the bike & the YSS will go up for sale.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #12352 on: June 08, 2024, 16:26:23 »
Discovered the limits of my, and possibly the tyres, abilities in mud.
Went out with a few mates on more off road style bikes with slightly chunkier rubber under rim and had a crack at a few green lanes around the peaks.
It was all going well until I had to evade a mate stalled in a puddle. Turning in thick mud wasn't happening and, to coin a cliché, I tucked the front.
Bike all fine, crash bars earned their money, but the suit will take some work.
.... You think the outside is bad etc etc etc
Still, great fun though.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #12353 on: June 08, 2024, 20:37:18 »
Going, going, gone.

Offline buzzwold

• Bike: 2022 DL650 AM1
« Reply #12354 on: June 08, 2024, 22:38:38 »
Took my new Givi E22 panniers back to sportsbikeshop in Bristol.
Only picked them up on tuesday, went out around Chew valley lake on thursday and over Pontypool way on friday. When I got home friday and emptied the left pannier I found a loose screw in the bottom, closer inspection revealed that the screws holding the "cup" on the lid that limits the amount of movement of the box release mechanism had stripped out (short self tappers into  plastic with little purchase). Checked the other side and they had gone too. I've since found a lot of comments online about the mechanism and it seems the most popular way of removing them is to open the lid and push the release down by hand, a bit crap I think.
Anyhow, a quick phone call to SBS and arranged to return under warranty.
Great service again from SBS, and the lads in the Bristol branch are a right good laugh.
Only problem now is, I'm sat at home with a pair of 33l trekkers and a pair of trekker alsakas and can't decide on which. I shall be posting a question in the accessories section. :grin:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12355 on: June 09, 2024, 06:40:04 »
Bike wash day.

After a week in Wales with showers on and off and lots of country lane riding, it was time to give the bike a good clean. It's a job I dislike, but it IS necessary and I do like the results.

After the wash I always lube the chain to dive off the water, then I needed to attend to my Loobman chain oiler. It needed cleaning and one of the little arms (cable tie) replacing.

That all done it was time to check the front brakes. A couple of times in Wales they felt a little inadequate, although they always stopped me.

I didn't find anything I could put my finger on as the issue, I pushed both pistons on both calipers back, made sure the pins that allow the second set of pads to be drawn in were all lubed and that the mech was working and put them back on the bike.

One point though. I only had the calipers off a few weeks ago as I had a slight squeak that sounded like something might have been trapped between a pad and a disc. I didn't find anything, but I did put copperslip on the bolts and then torqued them to factory settings.... WRONG!

If you lube a bolt that requires torquing, you must reduce the torque setting by about 25% otherwise the bolt is very likely to be over tight. I reduced the torque settings and then pumped the pistons back up, the brakes now feel a little more positive when contacting the discs... but that could be placebo effect, I'll take it for a ride later.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12356 on: June 09, 2024, 15:28:39 »
Another run up to Hunstanton , this time to test a thing in the local rag.
It said on a clear day you can see across the Wash to Skegness.
Well you can ,but only by using my monocular could I just see the rollercoaster at the front.
Never been to Skegness so thought why not have a closer look ,and see if I can see Hunny from Skeggy  :icon_wink:
I have ridden through Lincolnshire many times heading North so know how tedious that road is but thought the A road to Skeggy should be better ..........no?
Wrong ..... so so wrong.
20 miles of 40, 50, 30 , 40 ............arrrrgh.
Anyhoo got my look at Hunny and came back.
Got so bored I started counting speed cameras and flashing speed signs ....11 in 20 miles ..... not counting the average speed section in a 40!!!!
Did wonders for the mpg/range though.
260 miles .........100 wasted on Lincolnshire............. Not make that mistake again :GRR:
Hun to Skeg
Skeg to hun
Not that you can see much in the pics :shrug:
And the dash when I stopped for a piss on the way back, Trip one was reset at fill up, it went up more till it peaked at a 324 mile range.....Damn.

Ho Hum

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #12357 on: June 09, 2024, 16:47:15 »
A nice wee run around the Lothians. Getting used to my Schuberth S2 which I got new from Two Wheels in Edinburgh for £235!
There were roadworks nearby and they wanted to generate footfall. It is quiet (very important) and a good, but not perfect fit. Time will tell how successful it is.
Also before I went out noticed I have lost the LH swing arm pivot rubber cover thingy ......... for the second time.  :angry-banghead:
Should I replace or do without?
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12358 on: June 09, 2024, 16:50:20 »
Replace it ,but this time stick it on with silicone bath sealer, it will still come off when needed  :fix:

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #12359 on: June 09, 2024, 17:09:51 »
Popped a fork seal on the NC500 a couple of weeks ago.  Tried the Seal Mate check being a cheap bugger but no joy so stripped the front end off this afternoon.  Only real issue I had was getting the stupid/notorious front mudguard bolts loosened from the spinney square washers.  Id obviously buggered both the retention wells when I tried to get them off to paint the forks a few months ago but at least with it upside down and having roped in my son to help we eventually managed to free them up.  Pointy pliers, plusgas and a long torque wrench for the win.  Fork oil was disgusting so I assume it's the original and therefore about 11 years old.  Every cloud etc.