Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1314556 times)

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #10960 on: February 04, 2023, 18:11:12 »
180 miles over to SportsBikeShop in Boston so the missus could try on some boots. Should didn't like them so we had a burger and a brew then rode home via Horncastle and Market Rasen.
It was not as warm as I had hoped by the end.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #10961 on: February 04, 2023, 18:16:03 »
Hmmm, a new page but we don't forget Mick. In fact I thought it was such a good line from Brockett it deserved a place in The Quotes Museum. So I've put it there.

Also didn't you have a similar moment only a couple of weeks back?  lol
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #10962 on: February 04, 2023, 20:03:38 »
Hello Rixi you deserve a  :text-bravo: for that ride
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10963 on: February 04, 2023, 22:04:23 »
Had another 'fun' day trying to change the number plate bulb. What should be a 10 min job turned into a 3+hr pain. Last time I changed it (few years ago), the nut in the mudguard had rusted on and undoing it broke the lugs holding it in place. As it was MOT time, I'd 'temporarily' repaired it and reinstalled it whilst ordering a replacement but never fitted it. Today was the day to replace it but my repair was a nightmare to remove again. I finally removed it only to remember I'd used the wiring to trigger the relay for the accessory block so that needed redoing too. The final insult of this stupid design was dropping a nut when reinstalling it which somehow found the only awkward space in the rear mudguard to disappear into  :dl_smiley_banghead:
I'm not one for violence but whoever decided this was the best design for changing a bulb needs a good  :violence-smack:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10964 on: February 04, 2023, 22:10:40 »
Heartily concur. I managed to break the stud free of its anchor in the plastic housing by swinging on the seized nut. Seized due to its being in the firing line of all the crap from the rear tyre. Said stud is knurled at the end where it sits in the housing, I had to Araldite it back in. Stupid, awkward design.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10965 on: February 04, 2023, 22:28:50 »
Honda's tend to screw on from the outside rather from inside the wheel space.
Same goes for the tail light, OK you get to see the nasty little screws, but it's a feck load easier to change!

I remember taking all the skin off my knuckles changing a tail light on the Wee, head lights weren't much better.

Josh had a failed dipped beam on his Gleek2 on our Snowdonia camping trip last year. I said we'll pick one up in a garage and change it. He said the whole front end needs to be dismantled.  :shock:

These designers need to spend a few days in a workshop dealing with their creations!

Ride Coordinator

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #10966 on: February 04, 2023, 23:55:43 »
I feel your pain UK_Vstrom after having to repair mine.

After having not ridden my bike for a short period, it appears my throttle is, yet again, sticking slightly open. Open it and let it go, and it'll go back to idle, but it's got a noticeable "sticky" bit right at the point of opening, so if you open it just past that and let it go, it won't go back to idle... until you forcibly roll the throttle back. Didn't notice it when I first went out, but after about 10-15 miles it was becoming very noticeable, almost like heat was making it worse...

Pretty sure it's not the grip/tube, and have wound the cable adjuster off on the pull cable and it's still there, so tank off job tomorrow to have a look and lube everything. Thanks to this forum, seems to be the consensus that removing the tank and checking the throttle linkages is the fix, and realised it's not as big a job as I thought it was after watching youtube!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #10967 on: February 05, 2023, 13:54:12 »
@Rixington, some fabulous roads out that way. B1202 Market Rasen to Bardney and then the B1190 to Woodhall Spa being my standout faves.

A rideout to Boston is on the cards.....
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #10968 on: February 05, 2023, 14:54:57 »
Yep, that's the route we took but in reverse. It's a bit point and squirt cabbage slalom in Lincolnshire with a lot of 90 degree bends but it certainly beat the A17 slog eastbound in the morning.

« Reply #10969 on: February 05, 2023, 18:18:56 »
It's been a tank off kind of day...

Ends of the throttle cables were frozen in the throttle body, took a bit of penetrating oil and persuasion to get them free. Cleaned up, greased well, and put back. The in cable adjuster on the pull cable was fully done up so I readjusted the pull cable at the TB so I had some loosening/tightening adjustment on it. Sprayed a bit of maintenance spray around on the springs and by shafts as couldn't really see anything else that would be "sticking".

Nothing else looked really suspect, everything moved freely, and aside from the tape holding on the TPS connector it all looked OK. So buttoned back up.

Started the bike - FI c21. Bugger. Tank back off, I hadn't fully clipped in the air temp connector. Tank and plastics back on, started up again, still got the FI.

Took a short ride to clear (wouldn't clear just on idling/key off and on), but much improved, smoother throttle response - may well just have been an overly tight throttle cable that is now adjusted well... Who knows!  :lala:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #10970 on: February 05, 2023, 18:53:38 »
Glad it seems to be sorted purplebikeunicorn. Fingers crossed that's the end of it, but definitely worth lubing under the tank every now and again.

I finished installing the new number plate light assembly having retrieved the missing bolt. Also adjusted the rear brake light switch as it keeps coming on. There might be a bit of play in the brake pedal - one to keep an eye on.  :fix:

« Reply #10971 on: February 05, 2023, 23:18:31 »
Aye! Totally different bike after (although the ride out to the point where I cycled the ignition was a bit weird, possibly just the default fuelling map because of the FI light being on?), bit stuttery at slower speeds. The ride back was fantastic, smooth as silk compared to before.

Which does make me wonder if I've been fighting this all along (including before the previous throttle tube replacement)... anyway. Need to get some coolant next as noticed I'm a little low... so the tank is going to have to be lifted up again soon! That plastic fuel outlet pipe doesn't fill me with confidence though, all the videos I watched of previous gens were metal, I guess since 2017 they're plastic!

Next task is to lube the center stand as it's a bit sticky and doesn't fully return by itself, and whilst I'm under there doing that, I might aswell tackle the rear suspension linkage since I've been putting that job off, plus the side stand whilst everythings out!... I think next week is going to be busy.

Offline legio

• Bike: V-Strom 650 K9
« Reply #10972 on: February 06, 2023, 08:01:38 »
ello everyone, since December 2022 I have owned a V-Strom 650 K9. Since I got it I've changed and added quite a few things to it, new higher seat, Givy Air-flow windscreen, mirror extensions, radiator guard from cosmo, and yesterday I also fitted fog lights, as well as a scotoiler with touring soft tank and double injector scorpion.  :lala:

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10973 on: February 06, 2023, 09:24:43 »
Welcome Legio from Northumberland, England.
You know we want pictures.
Upt'North.

Offline legio

« Reply #10974 on: February 06, 2023, 10:13:39 »
Yes, I know, here are some working pictures:

Offline legio

« Reply #10975 on: February 06, 2023, 17:32:41 »
Here are some pictures from half an hour ago when I was adjusting the fog lights, what do you think, should they be set like this?
Short lights:

Long lights:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #10976 on: February 06, 2023, 19:11:42 »
I have mine pointing downwards as they're on all the time and I don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

(you don't want Mr. Magoo driving towards you)

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10977 on: February 07, 2023, 13:17:52 »
I would say just a smidgeon too high.
Upt'North.

Offline legio

« Reply #10978 on: February 07, 2023, 13:59:54 »
Yeah, I saw that too and will take them down a bit. Thanks.  :thumb:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #10979 on: February 07, 2023, 21:42:38 »
Put the panniers back on for the first time in about 6 years as needed somewhere to store the bike kit when I got to the destination.
Forgot to turn the preload up though so could feel the handling being affected, must remember for next time.