Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1314269 times)

Joe Rocket and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #10760 on: September 27, 2022, 07:28:08 »
I use grip puppies for about 5 years. Got to use to the increase in diameter but now it feels weird to hold the grip on the bikes without them :D I also have them over Oxford heated grips.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #10761 on: September 27, 2022, 08:37:31 »
Dicky, yes they are.
Because of circumstance we did a 200 mile + day ride with only the clutch side fitted. The difference was instant.
1. First noticed it just felt comfier.
2. It was instantly warmer than the other oem grip, but the heat doesn't build and equalised after a while. Note I have not got heated grips.
3. No difference in how the bike rode, inputs required etc.
4. The not too intrusive vibrations were lessened anyway. There was no buzzing in my fingers after a 2 hour stint. Again better than the other grip.
5. On the return journey my right hand fingers started to cramp up and there was pain in the knuckles, the grip puppy side was all day comfy. The cramp might be just me, I started with it on the Pan in Spain this year. Repeated long days also lead to trigger finger. There was some of this in my right hand on the day ride but none in my left.
So again, yes, I like them and wonder why I never fitted them before. Be aware the original grip may loosen if you need to wrestle them on, with the zip ties this wasn't an issue.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Offline pieman53

• Bike: DL1000 K6, DL1000A L9
« Reply #10762 on: September 27, 2022, 09:55:00 »
Have used grip puppies for the last decade, can't remember when I started but they do work for me. Have them fitted over heated grips and find that they pose no problem, they get rid of a bit of vibration and save me having sore hands at the end of the day. For what they cost it's a no brainer. :crazy:

Offline Cartejo5

• Bike: DL650XT L8
« Reply #10763 on: September 27, 2022, 11:17:23 »
Uptnorth, is that the grip puppies fitted over standard or oem heated grips?

Offline Dicky

• Bike: DL650 K4
« Reply #10764 on: September 27, 2022, 12:56:48 »
Thanks all for your advice and hints. The pups are now in place. Took about 20 mins with some soapy water and a pair of thin disposable rubber gloves. Left the handlebar weight on the clutch side and a bit of pushing and turning got the pup on. Took the handlebar weight off the throttle side, placed a couple of large zip ties, one at 12 0'clock the other at 6 O'clock, over the throttle grip and pushed, pulled and turned the pup a bit and on it went. I'll have a test ride when the weather brightens up a bit.

Cheers,

Dicky.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #10765 on: September 27, 2022, 16:53:03 »
Standard oem non heated grips. Why would we have heated grips in the lovely perpetual summer of the North East.
 :sunny:
Upt'North.

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10766 on: September 28, 2022, 16:40:31 »
New exhaust clamps, they shouldn't be rusting as previous. 316 stainless steel Mikalor W5. I had Mikalor W2 previously and clamps were fine but bolts rusted shut.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #10767 on: September 28, 2022, 16:45:25 »
I might be wrong and it may be hidden under the clamp but I can't see any evidence of the sleeve gasket for your rear downpipe connection.
Do you get any blow by at this joint as I have had exactly the same issue twice due to failed clamps allowing the exhaust to blow by and evaporate the gasket.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10768 on: September 28, 2022, 16:50:49 »
I turned both my heated grips and heated jacket on today on the way over the M62... :shock:

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10769 on: September 28, 2022, 16:58:56 »
Hello Rixington43. You are right. It is blowing there. This is next task to do. Remove whole exhaust and replace all the gaskets + new exhaust cement. Thanks for pointing this, now I know where it pops and bang on overrun :)

Online Rixington43

« Reply #10770 on: September 28, 2022, 17:05:38 »
Well I see you've already tackled the worst part of that job which is the front header bolts so you're half way there. I'm about to do mine for the second time as I got the rear downpipe slightly misaligned and didn't use enough exhaust cement. Live and learn, it's not a bad job once you realise the front crush gasket doesn't just push in but needs to be pulled into place by the header pipe when you tighten the flange bolts .

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10771 on: September 28, 2022, 17:28:51 »
Yeah. I bought the seals just now + exhaust cement. They ask for £15 per seal but managed to find pair for £16, so bought all four. In my case shouldn't be a problem to remove full exhaust :) I will probably leave lambda in. How difficult is to unplug lambda? Does it require anything disassembled?

Online Rixington43

« Reply #10772 on: September 28, 2022, 18:02:58 »
Unplugging the lambda is easy, it's on the clutch side behind the plastic belly pan if I remember rightly and then it's just a case of taking note of the cable routing for when you reassemble everything.
A couple of tips if they're any help (you may know already);
- Removing the front crush gasket is a destruction job with a screwdriver then just get the new one to hold in place before attaching the front down pipe.
- Assemble the whole system with all the fixings super loose at first.
- Have a second person or use a jack to lift the collector up against the link pipes to get the collector as far up on to the rear down pipe as possible and then tighten everything up.

If you have after market exhausts then the rear link pipes may not use sleeve gaskets, in which case just use assembly cement or an ultra high temperature silicone.

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10773 on: September 28, 2022, 18:14:12 »
Thanks for the tips. Bought crush gaskets as well so no problem. Tip with jack is a life saver!! I tried to push the midpipe up today when replacing clamps by using hammer and wooden block. It was barely going in.

I am thinking about leaving rear header pipe in place as the access to the bolts is terrible :/

Online Rixington43

« Reply #10774 on: September 28, 2022, 18:17:54 »
Agreed, I wouldn't touch that one for all the tea in China unless it's actually leaking.

.... And I LOVE tea😉

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #10775 on: September 29, 2022, 20:11:17 »
A 210 mile trip around the best B roads of South Norfolk and North Suffolk, with a large group of friends. Lovely weather and great company, on fantastic roads.
Beforehand thought my new Scottoiler X System was set a bit too high so turned it down a notch to dispense less oil, using the simple control panel. I’m obviously more simple as I turned it up, instead of down so chain now ‘really’ well lubricated along with a lot of the bike! Oh well, it was due a wash anyway...🤔

Offline Upt North

« Reply #10776 on: September 30, 2022, 11:07:32 »
It went a bit like this.......
That rear mudguard is just about useless.
Let's have a Google.
Why don't someone make universal rear mudguard extenders for the VSTrom.
Perhaps they do but I can't find em.
How much is plastic.
OK, what do I know about plastics......naff all, nowt, not a sausage.
Polypropylene sounds like the stuff you need.
Let's get cracking.
Including the longer number plate screws it was less than £14.00 plus quite a few man/woman/non binary hours.
All property and intellectual property rights are owned by myself and the patent is pending, unless you're in China, in which case just steal it.
I'd like your HONEST feelings please.
Upt'North.

Online Rixington43

« Reply #10777 on: September 30, 2022, 11:13:24 »
Very smart recreation of the Gen 1 mudguard that worked fine until Suzuki got all stylish on it ;)

Offline Whiterose

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #10778 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:42 »
My neighbours are Chinese I'll let them know.  :icon_wink:

Great job.  :text-bravo:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #10779 on: September 30, 2022, 17:38:00 »
Mudguards that actually keep muck off the bike and rider eh? That'll never catch on.
However, I  :clap: your   :fix:   I need to do something about the V7 so I am interested to find out where you sourced the plastic.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.