Author Topic: France - Speed camera detection  (Read 4478 times)

Offline tiberius

France - Speed camera detection
« on: January 23, 2012, 18:54:01 »
Greetings all
pretty sure many will have seen the article in MCN about satnav's with camera detection devices possibly being illegal.

Does anyone have a definitive answer? as I read it you can switch camera locations off and we should be OK. law enforcement types apparently have no right to stop and examine your device either. even so, I don't fancy risking a E1500 fine...

Does anyone have any definite info?

Cheers
Tiberius :shrug:

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
Re: France - Speed camera detection
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 19:13:48 »
I have just done some map updates to my Garmin + Safety Camera Subscription.............. All the updates for Safety Camera in Europe are listed as Safety Camera, for France they are listed as Dangerous Zones This may be their way round any fines!!  :shrug:

Update
TomTom's answer to the problem is just to remove safty cameras for France...........just updated my TT rider & they have been removed!! :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 19:26:32 »
That's brilliant :clap:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 19:46:49 »
Have checked the TomTom Website for updates to my RiderV2 but as yet they are still working on a new service for France that warns you about danger zones instead of speed cameras.............will update this when I hear more

Update :-

Just had this from TomTom
' I regret to confirm that Danger Zone Update is not available for Rider v2'  :wtf:

Offline tiberius

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 19:34:58 »
Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm hoping the motorcycle press will print something definitive too.  :grin:

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 21:20:15 »
Quote from: "tiberius"
Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm hoping the motorcycle press will print something definitive too.  :grin:

Best not rely on MCN then :)

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 22:53:37 »
If you are are planning to ride here in France all the fixed speed cameras I have seen have a warning sign followed by a sign telling you the speed limit (usually 70, 90, 110 or 130kph) and finally followed by the speed trap/camera itself. This may be forward facing, which means all they'll get is your smiling face or rearward facing which means they'll get ayour UK number but luckily no summons will follow you home. The concern is that if you're using a satnav with these camera warnings you may get fined. However how this will be implemented is unclear. Are the French police going to be trained in how to check the vast number of devices to see if cameras warnings are present and/or enabled? I think not.
       I've been riding in France for 12 years and living here for about 18 months and only been stopped once at a road block where everyone was being breathalysed. They are getting increasingly hot on drink driving here and I'd strongly recommend staying off the wine and beer when riding. Random speed traps are also common and can be set up anywhere in towns, villages, back and main roads and of course motorways. The only warning you are likely to get is other drivers coming the other way flashing you with their headlights. They can issue on the spot fines and may accompany you to a cash machine or bank for payment or if you are seriously over the limit they can instantly suspend your licence and impound your bike.
    In my view you are much more likely to get caught speeding with a randon trap or fail a drink test from too much drink at lunchtime than getting busted for using an illegal satnav and the first two can easily be avoided by good observation and some common sense.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 23:28:07 »
Don't know if it makes a difference, but sat navs do not "detect" cameras, they "announce their position from reports of other drivers. So they are not radar detectors as such.
This is why mine goes nuts at the end of the M74, but before the M6, cos there used to be loads when they were 'improving' the road, but they're all away now.
It's better to regret something you've done, than something you haven't done.

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 19:04:10 »
Just had a brainwave:

How about getting a French lawyer to write a letter (in French) addressed to V Strom.co.uk members stating that it is not legal for the Police to search your GPS, or to have it removed from your bike.

So if the traffic police stop you and try to search your GPS then you produce your letter and say please read this !!

For max effect get the letter written by a Parisian lawyer, and it could be copied to all V Strom.co.uk members and those willing could chip in for its cost.

(just a brainwave had has not undergone rigorous analysis ! )

Offline tiberius

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 20:17:13 »
Result so far:-

Tom Tom want you to download a new bit of software which removes location speed speed camera devices. this will be replaced with a new danger zone warning in due course.... at least we know all is now legal..

Tiberius :auto-dirtbike:

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:57 »
you don't want to be speeding in France anyway co,s the fines are crazy plus there are more and more fixed cameras in France now several on the A16 around calais . in France nearly everyone sticks to the 50klm speed in villages and I know its a pain to have to drop your speed when your out on them lovely roads but if there's a speed trap "you are going to have a big hole in your wallet "-ie- 20klm over the limit in villages 900 euros ?..

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:27:19 »
Wow, that's quite hefty :shock:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:59:55 »
Now, I know I'm going to sound like a grumpy old git here, but.. Lots of visiting bikers come to Scotland in the summer and they are very welcome. There are plenty of roads where you can go fast, there is really no need to go speeding through people's villages. I suspect the same is true in much of France.

Fast when it's safe, slow down when it isn't, simples!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:14 »
That's my take on it too. If you lived in one of those villages you'd want people to pass through them slowly and quietly. If you are a visitor somewhere it's the decent thing to do. Besides, you might miss the nicest little restaurant/shop/etc. ever if you go by too fast to see it :grin:

Offline smal

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 14:05:24 »
It will be good to get a definitive answer about this.

My Garmin keeps binging up alerts about speed camera zones and sometimes there aren't any. So I feel it goes on where the fixed ones are, but also it warns about mobile ones.????

At the end of the day I thought these cameras were to stop speeding. The Garmin tells me what speed is OK, so I slow down to that speed... is that not the intention?

Obviously any government that wants you to accidentally fall foul of a camera trap is NOT really trying to slow people down but stealth tax them for the revenue it brings.   :wtf:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 17:08:56 »
I have to memorise that priority stuff each time, does my head in.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 22:14:11 »
Just  to make us feel better they are increasing th number of fixed speed traps in France from 2,080 to 2,480 during 2012! Have seen a few that have been "modified" with paint and suffered spontaneous combustion. Shame....

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 22:28:13 »
Great update Ali, will I remember it all at the time ?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Kaboo

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 23:25:04 »
Aren't the junctions where you are supposed to give way to traffic marked with a white triangle "Cedez le Passage"  in 150m for example ?

Offline hookie

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:14:53 »
These "Priorité à Droite" junctions are not that common and are very unlikely to be found on anything but minor back roads and occasionally in villages. However, they have no warnings as you approach them. It does appear that they are slowly being phased out by putting up stop or give way signs and white lines at junctions. You can ride for many miles and never encounter one and only then realise that you have when you've either passed it or had to hit the brakes to avoid "T boning " an old 2CV.    
               There are also "Priorité à Droite" roundabouts where the priority is exactly the opposite of a proper rondabout. There is no sign to say that you're approaching a roundabout. No white lines. No arrows telling you to bare right, but it looks just like one except that you have priority entering it and those coming round have to give way to you. There is one of these a few miles from where I live and I've been across it loads of times and still find it very confusing!
              The one characteristic of French drivers seems to be to largely disregard most road regulations a lot of the time and certainly more so tha UK drivers. It means that you have to ride a bit more defensibly than in the UK, but the traffic density here in rural France is so much less than the UK that it feels much safer and is a breath of fresh air after riding in the UK.