Author Topic: Is this stupid?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Oldie

Is this stupid?
« on: October 13, 2011, 21:46:39 »
Firstly, I loved my Wee, but maybe found it too much of a bike at times (ferries and slow manoevoures, for example) and the transition to the Bonnie and Gladius brought back my confidence big time. Put on about 5000 miles since May and they're both so easy to ride. So, I'm a failed Wee owner, and not ready to get another, just yet.

However, neither of my current bikes is really suitable for long distance touring due to lack of wind protection and so I'm now looking at a Deauville. The bars are lower than the Wee, which certainly helps with moving it around in small spaces (albeit heavy (ish)) and the wind protection is probably better. Reports talk of good reliability, although my 5 Suzukis (so far) have been impeccable, and I was thinking of buying an older, lowish mile, Deau to experiment with. If I like it, then the Gladdie would have to go to fund a newer Deauville.

Or do I just trade in the Gladius for a new Wee and learn to ride the bloody thing properly? It's just that I'm now used to smaller bikes and their wonderful handling - stress free motorcyling!

Please help (unbiased, if possible  :grin: )
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline bencav

Re: Is this stupid?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 21:52:42 »
Quote from: "Oldie"

Or do I just trade in the Gladius for a new Wee and learn to ride the bloody thing properly?

Please help (unbiased, if possible  :grin: )

This!

The Deauville might be a very good Bike but it looks so bland! If you had said Pan I would have said go for it (I have a BIG soft spot for Pans - Goodness knows why!!)

The new Wee seem a little slimmer to me, perhaps have a bash on one?

Ben

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 21:56:50 »
A Deuville would be a decent choice, good fairing, luggage and comfort. It's an understressed motor so should be very reliable, low maintenance shaft drive too. They are a wee bit porky (like myself) but should be fine for low speed work. Dull as dishwater however... But if you're after big miles not big thrills it could be a good choice.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

rascaltrousers

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 22:06:57 »
Can I suggest something a bit different? If you want a relaxed and easy to handle tourer, try a Yamaha Majesty 400 or Burgman 400. Massive faring and fantastic weather protection, huge underseat boot for storage, and very low so easy to manouvre. Als very light and easy to ride and nimble. Quicker than you'd expect - cruising at 80-90mph is easy peasy. Not bad on fuel either at around 55mpg. Automatic so very relaxed which is what a good touring bike should be. I've had one burger and two majestys and can honestly say they are among the best bikes I've owned or ridden.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 22:25:38 »
I know a few folk who rave about their big Scoots but it's never really "got me" for some reason. All the elements are there, but I have an image thing about them.

It's the old story I guess, you can't actually say you hate it until you've tried it.

Food for thought.

Offline dsb79

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 22:29:27 »
I had a scooter pass me today, he must of been doing well over a tone as well, it had what looked like a skirt all the way round so I'm sure he was toasty as well.

Fancy a brew at Loomies PM me.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 22:38:00 »
I rode a 80cc scoot for a while when I was still at school. The bloke who lived in front of us wanted to start a business with some Chinese scooters and thought I would be his advertisement. The thing was 2 stroke and it went like a bat out of hell. Was good fun and did 140km/h. You should see the look on someone's face on a highway when you pass them on a scooter at that speed, priceless :clap: The centre of gravity was very low and it was scarily flickable. Combined with a 17 year old lunatic who had no fear of speed and every intention of going as fast as possible around every corner it was great fun. They pull away very fast with the CVT transmission and few things will beat you from traffic light to traffic light. All that said, my heavily tuned Suzuki RG50F also went 140 km/h (though I think the clocks were optimistic) and it still went better around corners than the scoot. If I think about that now, school clothes, a blazer and fake leather gloves was like not wearing any protection at all. Riding that thing taught me how to ride with my toes on the pegs or scrape the school shoes to bits.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oldie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 23:51:57 »
Oh well, things move fast.

Think that I've just agreed to part with £1500 for this Deauville (yes, I have been drinking).

Nice bloke though.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 09:04:18 »
Congratulations oldie! Looks really good nick. Its one of the older 650's, but a very good looking (comparative!) example. You can get extended pannier lids to increase the capacity for touring, I think. Am I right in thinking the colour of yours is 'beige' !?
Lets know how you get on with your ne w'one, oldie... :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:18:42 »
The Deauville in it's own right is a very good bike, but before buying one I'd suggest you get a good ride on one first. I was lent one a few years back when mine (not a Deauville) was in for a service and what really let it down was the handling. It wallowed and weaved about and you will probably find that it won't feel too clever compared to your Gladius or Bonnevile.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:56:33 »
Now you might realise how good a bike your Strom was :neen:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:46 »
OK direct comparison-
I have DL650 k6
the old man has a Deauville NT700VA 2007

I get off my loverly handling, comfy, quick off the mark Strom and get on the Deauville.
I feel 'at one with' the strom and like part off it, OK I ride it allot, but got on the Deauville and sat down on it, yes it's lower, but has a wider seat.
feels comfy but a I'm a little more hunched forward than on the strom, feet flat on the ground on both bikes but my knees are more bent and more tucked under me on the Do'h.
Clutch, gearbox and engine are both slick, smooth, but the Doh's didn't want to rev anywhere near how freely the strom does. the Doh does pull from very low revs, where the strom stutters.
Accelerating seemed to take a long time and cornering needed some manhandling of the bars to get her to turn.
my strom had OEM top box and pannier rails with hard top box and soft panniers fitted, the Doh had it fixed panniers and Honda top box, but I found the Doh a handful in the wind. Doh's boxes are well made and strong. the newer 700's (680cc) have the Honda 'french stick' tube connecting the two panniers.
The strom as we know is a little top heavy when full of fuel but the Doh is unwieldy and feel awkward at low speed. when on Honeymoon with the Mrs and tones of luggage and tank bags the strom felt as one-balanced as I do on the Doh. but then again I ride the Strom allot and not the Doh.
Shaft dive is great for low maintenance but they are known to have issues with worn drive splines, need checking regular. Fuel economy is approx. the same as the strom for the DL650 model- K6 and earlier strom paired with the NT650 and Twin Spark K7+ with the fuel injected NT700.
I'd happily have one but my freinds have told me they'd laugh at me every time they saw me on a Dullville. And I'm too young to ride one! :shrug:  But I'm not going to swap from the best all round bike on the market to a bike that does comfy touring well but little else. if I had the space and money I'd buy the old mans Doh but I'd rather have a Bonnie as a second bike. which is funny cos I'm trying to sell the old mans Doh and get him a Bonnie!  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Oldie

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 14:35:27 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
Congratulations oldie! Looks really good nick. Its one of the older 650's, but a very good looking (comparative!) example. You can get extended pannier lids to increase the capacity for touring, I think. Am I right in thinking the colour of yours is 'beige' !?
Lets know how you get on with your ne w'one, oldie... :thumb:

Not merely beige, but Honda Elegant Beige ! Suddenly become my favourite colour...hehe

Oh, and it comes with the extended pannier lids as well.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 14:52:24 »
Nice comparison of both bikes Mr Driver  :thumb:

I'm not expecting too much from the Do'h, just a bit more comfort on long motorway rides, especially to get me from Scotland to the south coast ferries. Once I'm on the continent, I won't really be doing big miles as I find myself more attracted to cold beer on sunny days - maybe just hopping to the next town every so often. Ideally, I'd take the Bonneville across although it's a bit too exposed for 500 mile runs in typical UK weather, particularly in the Spring and Autumn.

Still excited about picking it up though. Sat on one in the Honda showroom the other day and liked the general feel of the bike. I also looked into the spline issue and it appears to have affected only certain years where a lack of Moly appears to be the culprit, but it's easy enough to check once the back wheel is off. Anyway, if I really like the bike then I would consider buying a newer model, although if this one is sound I'd like to think that I'll keep it for a while. Brakes, tyres etc all good and it's costing less to buy than what I got for my Van Van - so things could be worse, (apart from the colour)  :lala:

Offline frez

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 14:53:09 »
I'm thinking that pink might have been a better colour  lol
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 15:49:58 »
Enjoy the new bike  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline kernow kamikase

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 19:58:56 »
Why not try the new Triumph 800XC - it's a great machine, smooth, comfy, reliable and it has that great triple sound.  :auto-dirtbike:
[/url]

Offline Oldie

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 20:38:15 »
Quote from: "kernow kamikase"
Why not try the new Triumph 800XC - it's a great machine, smooth, comfy, reliable and it has that brilliant triple sound.  :auto-dirtbike:

Sadly, it's about three feet too tall for me (lovely bikes though, especially in orange).