Author Topic: Wobbly side stand?  (Read 988 times)

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Wobbly side stand?
« on: October 11, 2011, 20:52:48 »
How much lateral movement do you have on your side stand? I thought mine was pretty solid but has seemingly picked up quite a bit of play.. I inspected the nut tonight and it seems tight enough.. confused!

Can anyone else confirm or otherwise how much play they have in their stand  :shrug:
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline donny1972

Re: Wobbly side stand?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:41 »
My 06 big strom has a fair bit of play in the side stand. don't think its much to worry about.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:19 »
Mine has increased with time, but like yourself, I have checked the bolt and it's fine. I figured I have a centre stand that I use any time I part for longer than a few minutes. I'm not going to worry about it until it falls over one day when I put it on the side stand or it gets really bad.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:21 »
thanks gents, I have to park it on the side with a puck at work because the floor paint is so shit I'd rip it up with the c-stand  ###
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:26:56 »
The hole in the side stand bracket on the frame and the bolt that holds the stand on the bracket wear with the continual use of the stand. There's not much you can do about it except make sure the bolt is kept tight and perhaps every now and again take it off, clean, re-grease and replace it. Have a look at the bolt when you do this and if showing a lot of wear get a new one....

Offline Sven

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:20 »
Yep, I've got quite a bit of side play on mine as well. Can't believe its worn that much in 3 years, so I just assumed it was like that from new.
Since I noticed this (about 3-4 months ago), I've kept my eye on it & it don't seem to have got worse. :shrug:

Offline theshed

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 21:43:21 »
when mine seemed a bit loose I took it off and bashed the bracket closed a bit I think with wear it opens up a bit, put it back on and it seemed to have improved a little.
don't say our generation should recycle we did our bit...
We didn't produce rubbish to begin with