Author Topic: what's your fuel gauge say?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline lankyone

what's your fuel gauge say?
« on: October 10, 2011, 19:09:22 »
I have been getting to the last block and 10 miles or so later it goes to the last block flashing and I panic and fill up to the brim, I have just realised though that I'm only putting 15 litres ( ish ) in, am I being really daft or have I still got 7 litres of juice still to go and I'm panicing for no reason?

I'm filling tank when sat on the bike so its totally upright

whens anyone elses start showing warnings?

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Re: what's your fuel gauge say?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 19:21:36 »
I can get 17 litres in when three bars are still showing at about 220 miles. Mind you the top bar doesn't go out until 115 miles have gone then the next after another 60 - 70. I think one the one occasion I had the bottom block flashing I'd done over 260 miles..
No bike at present.......

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 19:28:27 »
When it hits the last segment and flashes you have 4.5 litres left, when the pump symbol also flashes you have 3 litres left (or about 60 miles and 40 miles respectively when I ride economically).

It only holds 22 litres if you completely brim it, and to do that you need to trickle the fuel in at the end. Personally I fill till the fuel completly covers the metal bit that you can fit the nozzle into, it takes a bit of trickling the fuel in to get to that stage as when you stop the level drops. I figure I'm probably 0.5 to 1 litre shy of the 22 litre brim.

It depends how I ride but usually I get to about 230 miles before it moves to the last segment.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Strommer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 21:03:27 »
Quote from: "frez"
...Personally I fill till the fuel completly covers the metal bit that you can fit the nozzle into, it takes a bit of trickling the fuel in to get to that stage as when you stop the level drops...

Nicely timed post as I filled up like that today (usually do in fact).  It sounded like it was choking for the first few miles though, so I wonder if filling it up this far is a good idea...  Could it be the cause of my FI errors...?

Oh...and running it nearly dry is supposed to wear out the fuel pump   :shrug:

A disgrace to biking...

Offline lankyone

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:43 »
cool, I've prob got a bit to go then, I've only 180 miles since last fill, and my new commute is less miles but slower roads which keeps my speed right down, was burning through fuel on the motorway going quite quickly!!

cheers blokes

Offline lankyone

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:02:42 »
silly american filter

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 14:25:05 »
Quote from: "lankyone"
I have been getting to the last block and 10 miles or so later it goes to the last block flashing and I panic and fill up to the brim, I have just realised though that I'm only putting 15 litres ( ish ) in, am I being really daft or have I still got 7 litres of juice still to go and I'm panicing for no reason?

I'm filling tank when sat on the bike so its totally upright

whens anyone elses start showing warnings?

Hi lankyone
There have been many threads on this subject before, you've answered your own question and you are not being daft :thumb: I only ever take notice of the first two bars on the gauge after each fill up ater that ignore it :violence-uzi: ,

On my 1000 the first dissapears approx 60miles and the second approx100 miles (likely to be higher if you have a 650) and after that I let the miliage tell me
 ie: I've done 140 miles used 14litres, 180 miles used 18 litres and so on ....this bears out everytime I fill up and have never run out yet :shy:  I expect the DL650 will return prob more, like 12miles per litre. You will soon get some confidence  if you monitor this everytime you fill up.

Mark
KLV1000 A2H plus Madstad bracket with sports screen, Corbin touring seat,Remus revolution alloy slip ons ,PC3, K&N filter, migsel mount, R&G frame sliders, rox risers, renthal bars, fork brace,carbon fibre rear hugger, goodridge hoses..

Offline lankyone

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 07:02:26 »
put another 20 miles on it which was a far as I dared then filled up and it took 17 litres and that was over the metal bit so quite a way off actually running out I guess, probably still safer to fill at this point though and also I can tell my missis that it only costs 20 quid to fill mine and her little yaris takes best part of 50! makes me feel that little bit smugger when riding in this rain!!

think I saw an ark yesterday in leeds, how much more rain could there possibly be!!