Author Topic: Carry a tyre repair kit  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: Carry a tyre repair kit
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:06 »
Just read the thread and its inspired me to get a tyre inflator . Always carried a TipTop puncture kit on every bike .
Think ill get the airman from screwfix.

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2011, 10:24:58 »
Well I just called the bike shop and got what sounds like a very honest response.    I was told that they have tried repairing tyres where Slime has been used but it gets into the layers inside the tyre and affects the bonding of the repair.  They have tried to repair these before and had customers return with leaking repairs.   They said it is better to use a plug and gas cannister kit and that they leave the tyre in a better state for repair.  

This is my front tyre and I'm taking no chances.    I have opted to go for a new front tyre only - Anakee 2 - as recommended by many good folks on this site.  I will quiz them more when I go in this week to get the tyre replaced.  

So maybe for a mechanical breakdown I'll keep the AA (they arrived in 70 minutes of calling) but for tyres I'm going to attempt to get myself back home with a plug/cannister kit or some variant.

This week's commute just cost a whole lot more.

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 22:24:10 »
I think I'm going to pick up one of these when I get my air filter tomorrow morning. I've got ADAC cover but, if it saves me waiting on the side of the road for a couple of hours waiting for a "very nice man!" it has to be worth pennies.

http://www.louis.de/_40a5b74fef40141f19 ... r=10032076

Offline metbandit1

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:50 »
Does anyone bother with having 'Recovery' when they break down? or do you just go with roadside help and towing to a garage within 10 miles?

Offline Dan The Man

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 11:08:45 »
'Recovery' as well as roadside, home start and return etc are included AA Stylie with my bank (bizarrely) and works out cheaper then 'Proper' AA Membership

Always have a Pocket Tyre Plugger on me ever since watching Atlasriders videos on YouTube, thank god the Vara at the time was tubeless, same on the Strom I beleive lol
Be Safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you can't be safe..........BE LETHAL.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2011, 12:33:51 »
I have breakdown recovery too, only had to use it once on the Strom, chain snapped due to my own negligence. Believe me, you're so glad that you have breakdown recovery when that happens. I also have European breakdown recovery. Touch wood, I've never had to use my tyre plugger kit, but it's there and I know how it works when it eventually happens.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog