Author Topic: Continental Road/Trail attacks  (Read 2119 times)

Offline used2bfast

Continental Road/Trail attacks
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:07 »
I need a new rear tyre for my v-strom 1000. I have road attacks on now, which are excellent, but I fancy fitting a rear trail attack instead.(The long term plan is too change the front to a trail attack eventually to match) The tyres look all but identical, but the trail attack has a lot deeper tread.

Anybody done this?  - any thoughts?
Thanks

Offline Sven

Re: Continental Road/Trail attacks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:20 »
I'm running trail attacks (front & rear) & am very happy with them. Very good in dry or wet. Would certainly recommend them. :thumb:  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline mrjames

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 22:17:35 »
I have the Trail Attacks but wearing thin now so thinking about doing the opposite and going for some Road Attacks.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 19:38:01 »
I've just stuck a second set of Trail Attacks on my Wee - I find them a great tyre for my use. The first set lasted about 9k miles and half of that was two-up and fully loaded Continental touring.

Still had some miles left in 'em too from a legality point of view, but the profile was shot to hell. As I was doing some other work on the bike I decided it would be easier to swap 'em out now rather than take the wheels out again later.....  :shrug:

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline chipshoes

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 23:44:36 »
I replaced front and rear with continental trail attacks. Suffered very bad steering shimmy. Got the front tyre replaced and defective front tyre replaced with another trail attack. Still suffers bad shimmy. Not dangerous but really annoying. Think trail attacks not a good choice for front of vee.  ###

Offline karleahdc

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 14:54:39 »
Quote from: "chipshoes"
I replaced front and rear with continental trail attacks. Suffered very bad steering shimmy. Got the front tyre replaced and defective front tyre replaced with another trail attack. Still suffers bad shimmy. Not dangerous but really annoying. Think trail attacks not a good choice for front of vee.  ###

Wish I'd read this back in June. Fitted trail attacks just before our trip to France. Got the same steering "shimmy". For me it's noticeable between 30 and 35 mph, more noticeable when backing off and slowing down through the 35 - 30 mph range. Adjusting pressures only moves it further up or down between 25 and 40 mph. Front off and rebalanced (just to make sure) after about 1500 miles and have now done about 2500 miles on them.

It is really annoying and I will probably end up junking out a set of tyres still with plenty of life in them. A couple of hundred quid down the drain. Wouldn't recommend trail attacks on a Vee
99% of Gargoyles look like Bob Todd

Offline chipshoes

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 23:08:34 »
Finally bit the bullet and replaced the front trail attact with an anekee 2 tyre. What a difference. No shimmy at all. Front wheel steers as though it's on ice. So much better than before. Wouldn't recommend the continental trail attack on the front of the vee.

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:25 »
Hi

Just like to mention that I am on my third set of Conti Trail Attacks, and have nothing but praise for them.
Never saw/noticed any sign of a weave or shimmy.

A very good tyre, wet or dry.

Crazyhorse

Offline karleahdc

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 08:50:56 »
Crazyhorse

Glad they work for you. I guess there may be plenty of other set-up factors that could be in the mix; weight, suspension settings, etc., but I'd prefer to be able to change tyres and not have to set the bike up again.

If it wasn''t for the little shake at those speeds I would be more than happy with them, great feel wet or dry and they seem to corner better than the standard trail wings - except when dropping into a roundabout at about 30-35mph and the little shake rears its ugly head again. For that reason, for me, they'll probably go

Oh, and I'm probably on a downer on tyres too - within the space of one month I had to have 2 on the Vee, rear on my Road King and 4 on the car. :bawl:

Karl
99% of Gargoyles look like Bob Todd