Author Topic: Tyre valve  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
Tyre valve
« on: July 22, 2011, 17:51:24 »
M'colleague took his '92 CBR600 in for MoT and to have a new pair fitted. Picked up the bike all OK, then on his way home felt there was something wrong, turned out they had apparently damaged the valve but not fitted a new one - he went straight back and they sorted it OK.

I might be wrong and if I was it's only be the second time ever, but I thought the valve HAD to be changed when the tyre is removed and refitted for whatever reason? :shrug:
No bike at present.......

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Tyre valve
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 18:48:37 »
most places will either cut the valve stem or gash the tyre to let the pressure out.
if they sliced the tyre they may not need to replace the valve.

but when I've changed Tyres on my own bikes in the past I never used to replace them, just let the pressure out by sticking a biro tube into the valve. if they were perished/damaged I would do so.
but taking to a tyre place I make sure I watch em, and they change it!
technically the bike is your property and they have no right to not let you watch, if they say H&S issues...ect say how are the salesmen allowed into workshop then?
surprise surprise when I went in to watch one service done they took an awful lot longer than they did for exactly the same job the time before! funny that!  :angry-tappingfoot:
I never will take the bike to a stealer to have work done, find a local bike mechanic tyre shop and give him the trade!

ps sorry about the rant... SWMBO wants to go shopping and I really don't want to go!

Ride Coordinator

Offline badger 1050

Re: Tyre valve
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:43 »
most places change the valves as a matter of course but they will charge for it as well most list it in  the price if they charged him for it then they should have changed it but if it was me I would have asked for another tyre if he had ridden it any kind of distance with the tyre very low  or flat due to damage to the tyre /side wall it was their fault after all

badger1050