Author Topic: Fork Seals  (Read 750 times)

Offline TheFamousGrouse

Fork Seals
« on: April 11, 2011, 15:37:36 »
Hello chaps,

One of my front fork seals has decided that it no longer likes to keep all my oil inside my fork.  Its slowly dribbling its way down onto on of my brake discs (thankfully the other is fine, so braking is'nt to hairy...yet!)

How much should one expect to pay to get both front forks seals (and oil) replaced including labour?  (As I understand it, the parts are only £20.)

One garage in Glasgow has a labour rate of £72 per hour.  Which I find simply abhorrent  :angry-tappingfoot: .  I'd never use a car garage that charged more than £40, so why would a bike garage be more expensive?  (If I'm honest I almost never use garages as I do the work on cars myself.  But being new to bikes, I don't fancy making a pigs ear of it and dying).

Anybody know a good bike garage/mechanic in Glasgow/Falkirk area?   :thumb:
*Insert intelligent quote here*

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Fork Seals
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 17:01:11 »
If you're used to doing stuff on cars yourself then this is an easy job for you, it only takes a bit of time if you decide to clean it all well. There's an article in the Howto section with pictures and you can pretty much follow the service manual (what I did, with the exception of loosening the fork caps beforehand to make it easier to get them off.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline TheFamousGrouse

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 17:25:22 »
My main constraint at the moment is time (as I've got none).  I'd have a bash at it myself if I could spare an afternoon but I'm presently trying to write up my Uni dissertation (which isn't going well).  :rain:
*Insert intelligent quote here*

Offline Steve33

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 13:02:39 »
My local independent bike shop charged me £60 (labour & parts) for replacing the fork seals on my Zephyr 750 - so about 45 minutes labour plus seals/oil. This was just doing the seals - I'd removed the forks from the bike myself, as I've yet to find a bike shop that likes parking a motorbike & sidecar in their workshop.
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar

Offline Steve33

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 13:04:25 »
.. also, £72 per hour does sound a bit high. Does it include Bed & Breakfast?
2002 DL1000
1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 with ST2 sidecar