Author Topic: Brakes of butter!  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Bobb

Brakes of butter!
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:56:36 »
How, in the name of all that's holy, do you stop a strom??!!

I do the wacky-races in london and last week had to do 2 emergency stops - only the bike doesn't stop! I'm getting a lot of fish-tailing cos I having to stomp down on the back brake but the front just feels like it's not there - at all!

I've had a few bikes in my time and never had a problem before. Now with this 07 1000 I'm starting to poo myself about winter coming with slippery roads!

So what do you blokes do? Plough in to it / Drop it on the floor and let the tarmac slow it down / jump off?

Seriously is there anything that can be done to sharpen things up a bit. I'm loving the v-twin and the strom but I've got to be able to stop it quick when I need to! I've read you can uprate the brakes but I it's not something I'd be willing to attempt (especially looking at how some of my IKEA wardrobes have come out in the past!)

Offline Sven

Re: Brakes of butter!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 13:39:48 »
EBC HH pads are a good place to start :thumb:

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 13:40:03 »
http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2219&p=38503&hilit=gsxr#p38503

They are known for being bad, link above may help ;) although planning ahead helps lol ;)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 13:46:27 »
Braided hoses help as well
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 14:02:08 »
Maybe a brake fluid change could be a low-cost starting point?

Geeza

Offline Bobb

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 15:13:28 »
Thanks - some good stuff here.

Will look at up-rated pads next time they are due - hopefully not too long! and braided hoses and new fluid.

Looked at the caliper change thing but that is way beyond my skill set!

Thanks all

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 16:56:52 »
My brakes were really poo but I put new braided hoses on and Carbone Lorraine pads and although thet still aren't like a sportsbikes brakes they are 100% better than before.

I wouldn't upgrade the calipers as this will upset the soft front suspension and then you want to change that and so on

Its a Adventure Sports bike - the brakes aren't meant to be super sharp IMO

Lee

PS - don't forget to update your profile with bike and location :thumb:
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline jackie_black

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 17:10:13 »
Caliper change is easy, just get a mechanic to do it.
The GSXR brakes made my strom stop very quickly but were shite compared to my new abs braked hornet!!
Best you can do though is gsxr calipers, decent pads and braided hoses.
Worth every penny and makes a massive difference!!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 17:12:04 »
Quote from: "Sven"
EBC HH pads are a good place to start :thumb:

Ditto the EBC's, big difference for relatively little cash. A fluid change will help too but for a big increase a braided brake line kit will help a lot. As Dogpuf quite rightly says the caliper upgrade will have hidden expenses as the forks struggle to keep up, so you upgrade the fork springs, maybe fit a brace and then the rear shock feels mushy so you.... It goes on.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline jackie_black

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 17:24:40 »
This is very true, the bike needs better brakes and suspension.  If you throw a grand at one you could make it amazing.  The engine is already truly fabulous and its worth the expense if you are going to keep it.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 18:54:50 »
Plan Ahead .......

(Vintage Motorcycle is my second bike)

Offline chippie

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 21:14:08 »
First day I rode my strom properly, nearly shit my pants on first few bends!!   EBC HH went in next day and it now stops 100% better (not brilliant). Just hope you haven't already got EBC or its upgrade caliper time.

Offline Biccy Monster

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:13 »
Quote from: "billc"
Plan Ahead .......

(Vintage Motorcycle is my second bike)

Sorry mate, not wishing to sound condersending but this is true, I have ridden some real poor stoppers in my time and have found a sound approach to riding is more hepful then any upgrades....have you tried doing a BIKE SAFE day?

What ever your level of skill or experience these days out with an advanced police biker will help you plan your route and approach to hazards better. I communte right through town as well and so know first hand the sh#t standard of driving you can encounter but riding to "the system" should help you plan your ride better, smoother riding = less need for panic breaking.

Either way I hope you find what you need.

Ride safe,

Dave
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:08:21 »
After doing the HH pads plus braided lines on my Wee, I went for a somewhat cheaper and easier next step than going for new calipers.

I fitted a 5/8 master cylinder from an SV. This gives around 2mm larger bore size over the standard fit 14mm jobbie and reduces the lever travel quite nicely. These can be picked up quite cheaply off ebay and repair kits are plentiful and also cheap if needed. I drilled and tapped the handlebar to fit the remote reservoir and it all goes on nicely with the stock handguards..... Lovely and simple enough too.    :thumb:

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline doebag

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:41 »
I would always recommend making sure the existing system is working as designed before spending money on upgrades..
Are the discs warped ? If they are then a lot of lever travel is taken up in trying to straighten the disc.
Are the discs clean or do they have oil/grease contamination
Are the calipers clean so the pads are free to move.
Are the pads clean and unglazed.
I notice your bike is three years old, is the brake fluid three years old ?
Suzuki recommend fluid replacement every two years and hydraulic hoses every four. I would replace all the hydraulic seals every four years as well.

I would agree that the brakes are not superbike standard, but they are not killers straight from the factory.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Bobb

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 14:02:48 »
Hi,

Yep I think it's the original fluid so will change that and do the brake pads and braided lines as suggested.

Plan ahead - I've been commuting in London on a bike for 15+ years and have done bike safe (really worthwhile if anyone else is interested) - the problem with London rush hour is that you can be uber-safe and still have a problem from time to time (a few coppers even have 'incidents' and they are great riders with bikes you just can't miss!)  Still nothing  you can do when cager decides to pull a fast U-turn when you're level with their rear door. (on the plus side I have wing mirror for a rover 75 if anyone is interested :)