Author Topic: Side or vertical ?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Danny

Side or vertical ?
« on: September 26, 2010, 18:58:08 »
Well the user manual says change the oil on the side stand but the service manual says keep it vertical ?

I've just changed it on the side stand and the level is at the F mark ...

Any ideas ?

Offline Beerbelly

Re: Side or vertical ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 19:07:46 »
The bike must be vertical I.e. centre stand when you check the oil level in the sight glass. If you've filled it to full on the side stand you will have too much in, I wouldn't run the engine until you've corrected the level.

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 19:12:02 »
Sorry I didn't make that clear enough .. I changed the oil on the side stand but brought it up to vertical to check the level .. it's up at the F mark but I'm a little concerned that the two publications differ in their instructions ..

Offline beep

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 19:17:33 »
I'd say drain the oil on the side stand. You should always check the oil when the bike is vertical. Ideally you'd also refill when the bike is vertical (so you can see how much oil is in), but this would only be possible if you have a centre or paddock stand. Note that the level will drop if you changed the filter, once it's been run for a minute or two - check it again! Do not ride the bike with too much or too little oil, only run for a minute to let the filter to fill with oil and only at tickover.

Offline Danny

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 19:19:45 »
Thanks chaps .. the level looks fine so I'm happy with that ...

Offline Fenris

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 13:47:35 »
Out of interest - what's the danger of overfilling? I topped up recently but after running the engine it now seems to be over the F mark :( Am just wondering how serious it could be. I've done over a hundred miles on it with it like that before I noticed it seems a bit high - FWIW it seems to be running perfectly.
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000

Offline doebag

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 13:50:27 »
Quote from: "Fenris"
Out of interest - what's the danger of overfilling? .

If the oil is too high, the crank will keep dipping into the oil and will beat it to a foam, a bit like whipping eggs or cream.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Beerbelly

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 16:41:07 »
Out of interest - what's the danger of overfilling? I topped up recently but after running the engine it now seems to be over the F mark :( Am just wondering how serious it could be. I've done over a hundred miles on it with it like that before I noticed it seems a bit high - FWIW it seems to be running perfectly.
If you checked it when the engine was hot the oil will have expanded and read a bit higher than when cold.

Offline beep

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 14:48:40 »

Not sure of the damage, probably not a lot if it's only a millimetre or two over, but I used to have to regularly remove a bit of oil from my last bike (FMX650 with dry sump), when the dealer overfilled it. Lots of ways to remove it without undoing the sump plug: suck it out with length of clear pipe, use a squeezy bottle with pipe attached (like a scotoiler filler bottle) or even a turkey baster would work. Make sure you don't drop anything down that hole in the process!

Offline Fenris

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:58 »
Quote from: "beep"

Not sure of the damage, probably not a lot if it's only a millimetre or two over, but I used to have to regularly remove a bit of oil from my last bike (FMX650 with dry sump), when the dealer overfilled it. Lots of ways to remove it without undoing the sump plug: suck it out with length of clear pipe, use a squeezy bottle with pipe attached (like a scotoiler filler bottle) or even a turkey baster would work. Make sure you don't drop anything down that hole in the process!

That's not a bad idea - I'll have another look at the weekend but it didn't look odd or foamy. Cheers.
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000

Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 19:25:56 »
Fenris, I agree with what has mostly been said above. If you overfill your oil level by too much, if it's just a smidgen, it's no big deal, you can leave it. But if you have overfilled by several millimetres it's worth draining it out by some means as this increases the crankcase operating pressure and can lead to leaking engine oil seals. The engine breather won't cope if there's a lot more oil than there should be and won't cope with the pressure. The engine is unlikely to burn off any appreciable amount. You can if you wish just slacken the drain plug and carefully let a small amount drain out. This means almost completely undoing the plug with a gloved hand. When you reseal it, do it up enough to stop the main flow of oil, then with a clean lint free cloth wipe the threads of the plug and the mating surfaces where the plug sits, then just nip it up lightly. Don't torque it too much with very wet threads, you may strip them. Nipping them up is fine, take it for a short ride then just re-tention the bolt slightly, wipe it again, and just ride it. You will find it won't leak. But do keep a check on it for a few days.