Author Topic: Coolant Leak and Oveheating  (Read 693 times)

Offline Strommer

Coolant Leak and Oveheating
« on: September 28, 2010, 19:13:31 »
Went to get the bike out yesterday morning and there was green coolant all over the drive....    Checked the level (cold) and bizarrely it was fine.  No problems noticed that day (not that I'm very observant....).

Got back tonight and noticed the temp bars were all the way to the top - which I guess means it's overheating.

So, tomorrow morning the plan is to check the level cold and on the flat and top up with 50/50 solution if required.

But - is there anything else (easy things..) that I should check...?

Thanks.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Beerbelly

Re: Coolant Leak and Oveheating
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 19:30:18 »
The jubilee clips on the coolant hoses are often known to be on the lose side, make sure they are all pinched up. Failing that it's just a case of checking everything such as the cap on the radiator, around the water pump gasket area, the hoses for splits etc. The chances are that once it's up to temperature and pressurized you should be able to be spot a leak fairly easily, it's more difficult if it's weeping because it can evaporate quickly on a hot engine.

Offline Strommer

Re: Coolant Leak and Oveheating
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 13:02:06 »
Well, checked it and it's above the high mark when cold.  So seems it was overfilled at the last service 3 weeks ago...  bigger problems today anyway...see new post...

A disgrace to biking...