Author Topic: DL1000 K3 v DL1000 K7 GT  (Read 1147 times)

Offline mully

DL1000 K3 v DL1000 K7 GT
« on: September 18, 2010, 20:30:01 »
Some of you might have noticed that I have a K3 Strom & a K7 GT.  I don't intend keeping both bikes, my son may well take the K3 off my hands. He is a retro bike fan & has a W650 & XS650. He is not a realy a fan of modern bikes. He also thinks that as he is a high mileage rider, he might keep points off his licence riding a retro. Ironic, I started off with old British iron & have worked up to modern bikes.  Anyway, I reckon the K3 is the better looking bike by some margin.  I am happy with the K7, but half wish I had added some decent luggage to the K3, as the Suzuki luggage is very flimsy & the locks of cheap quality.  I  also reckon that the paint / finish on the K3 is better than the K7. Does anyone else agree that the older Stroms are better in looks & build ?

Commander

Re: DL1000 K3 v DL1000 K7 GT
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 21:06:58 »
Not too sure about that. I've ridden but not owned many Strom 1000's and 650's of all ages, they are all great bikes especially the 1000 that I rode that had 94,000 miles on the clock and was all original too. It went fine and inspite of a hard life the finish looked good. I prefer the instrument binnacle and screen on the later models I have to say.  I own a k8 DL1000 GT. My bike is two years old and in pristine condition, inspite of me using it in all weathers, snow, ice, rain etc etc. In fact at work it stands out in the rain all day and every day, or in the blazing sun in the summer. My luggage has never leaked, and seems OK for everyday use. I think for long distance touring you may want to invest in bigger and maybe more sturdy stuff, but generally I've found it OK. I have my laptop, full change of clothing and all sorts of other stuff with me on the bike all the time and no problems. The finish on it is actually very very good. According to my dealer, there is some evidence to suggest that the later models are better finished ie: deeper richer paint, better welds and some fixings are better too. But I've never noticed. All Suzuki's are pretty darn good on the finish front...I think!

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 22:10:48 »
I love my K2
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Beerbelly

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:27:20 »
I agree, I preferred the silver frame of my K2, however, the K7 I currently have ran better when stock, probably due to the upgraded ECU on later bikes.

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38:10 »
I loved my K2 as well for 3 years, it cleaned up very well even after 3 winters of infrequent cleaning.
It's now gone to a new home after being replaced by a 2010 Versys

Offline mully

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 18:39:13 »
Hi all. Have not responded as have been away for a few days hol. I prefer the silver frame of the older models. Apart from looking better, I think its more durable than the black frame which soon shows wear marks. I also prefer the darker blue of the K3. Regarding the Suzuki luggage, it does not compare in quality to the Givi top box I have on my K3. The adjustable screen on my K7 is a big improvement over the K3. In fact the first few times I rode the K7 when I glanced at the speddo, I was doing 90 mph, when I would have estimated my speed as about 75 ish.
Having said that I do intend to upgrade to a vario. I agree that the K7 is smother than the K3, but to be honest, I thought the K3 throttle bodies needed a bit of adjustment. I have also owned many bikes of all types over the years. Its the first time I have bought the same model again which shows how much I rate it.  Commander, I am intrigued, how come you have owned so many Stroms ?