Author Topic: 2023 650 side stand  (Read 231 times)

Offline MalcolmB

• Bike: DL650, Aprilia Tuono 1000RR, GT500
2023 650 side stand
« on: October 18, 2024, 06:33:06 »
Hi all - is it me or has anyone else had an issue with the bike falling off the side stand?
I'm not sure if the stand is positioned badly or missing a spring to stop it retracting too easily but I am never comfortable moving my bike with the side stand down.  It appears moving the bike forwards a small stone or even a blade of grass seems to catch the stand and move it back past its fully down stage meaning... when I want to rest the bike on its stand again it wants to fall over.
The bike did fall over a few weeks back only scraping the left mirror against my garage wall.  Luckily my body was between the bike and the wall so all I need to do is to wait for the 2 broken ribs to heal and learn to walk again  :grin:
I've been riding since the 70s and never had a side stand with an issue like this before - anyone else???

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: 2023 650 side stand
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2024, 06:59:09 »
I'm not sure of the angle that the kick-stand / side-stand opens up to, once the stand is deployed, on your model. Perhaps the stand is limited from forward travel / movement?

A possible solution is to increase the opening angle more by modifying the stand, as is discussed in https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/kickstand-modification.432423/.
Special attention to reply #64 of the linked discussion, wrt the new opening angle / forward range of the kickstand once deployed.  The pix help explain.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2024, 09:12:50 »
I don't think it's just you. The side stand on the 650 doesn't seem to go as far forward as I see on some other bikes & will pop back up with very little pressure, (although the blade of grass is pushing it.  :grin:).
I've almost done the same as you a few times but never dropped it fully because of that, however, I did become very careful putting the stand down & double checked it was in position & then the bike was solid before I let go.
Always leave it in gear when you stop/park, then it won't roll forward when mounting or dismounting.
My new 800 isn't much different either!  :shrug:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2024, 15:25:44 »
MalcombB,
Good catch :lala:, shame about the ribs though... ouch.

It is a bit vertical on my '22 too, not had a problem on flat surfaces, but on grass or when I park in a field to answer the call of nature :grin: sometimes it can catch on whatever? and flip back up easily, and have nearly lost it trying to reposition the bike to find a harder/ levelish spot 'cos it had sprung up when I thought it was down.

For reference it should have a double ( one inside the other ) return spring. When in the fully fwd position the over center nature of the pivot "should? " hold it fwd :shrug: ...but it is touchy.

If you are going to do the mod as referenced in Gerts post, take it easy and do a little at a time, then remount and check. It does not take as much as in that original post ,that is likely to weaken it too much.

I got round the problem by parking uphill/in gear and also got a center stand and use that whenever I can, useful for working on/loading the bike too.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2024, 15:38:19 »
Has the bike been lowered? Does the stand have a bigfoot type of attachment?

Offline MalcolmB

• Bike: DL650, Aprilia Tuono 1000RR, GT500
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2024, 10:17:07 »
Many thanks blokes.  I'll give the mod a go as the bike hasn't been lowered or have a big foot which incidentally look good but wonder if they'd alter ground clearance too much so never bothered.
Seems a shame an otherwise faultless bike suffers from this.  Hello-ho - can't have everything right...???

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2024, 11:55:31 »
I have a big foot on a DL1000A and it scraped the ground but now as it is ground to the profile it needs to be it happens less often, we are coming into winter though and the roads here are very mucky.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2024, 07:16:32 »
@MalcomB, do let me know whether you ended up modifying the kick stand arm or the mounting bracket and whether the mod was of any value in solving your kick stand complaint.

The StromTrooper link, from reply #1 above, discussed the practicality / pros and cons when it came to choosing from where the material should be removed (aka the kick stand stand arm vs the kick stand mounting bracket).
Do remember to snap a pix or three, as a guide to anyone else who may want to attempt the same mod.