Author Topic: Brembo discs and brake pads  (Read 254 times)

Offline slaven

• Bike: DL650 L7
Brembo discs and brake pads
« on: September 26, 2024, 12:03:49 »
hello amigos,

does anyone has any experience with Brembo brake discs and Brembo brake pads?
The reason I am asking is, I have to change front discs on my V-strom 650 2017, and I managed to buy Brembo Serie d'oro discs, but now I am clueless which brake pads to install.
I choose Brembo as a brand because the idea is that their pads will fit best on their discs, and on their official website sinter pads are recommended for my bike, but I read really a lot of feedback that these pads produce squeeling to the point that people buy new other pads.
On Louis website there are around 40% of feedback reporting this inconvenience because apparently it works great on some bikes but on many does not and there is no effective "cure" for it. But to make it more complicated, those "reporters" probably don't ride with Brembo discs (can this make a difference, or is it more caliper dependent?)

On the other hand, if I buy organic pads, I am not sure if it would be appropriate for my style of ride, I ride everyday, really everyday for commuting, so in city traffic in the rain, and very low temperatures as well. I got contradictive opinions on sinter and organic pads from my local dealer and am really really but really tight on the budget at the moment so I would hate to loose 100 eur if I buy wrong pads and had to re-buy other.
I just want to be safe in rain and cold and not go crazy with squeeling noise everyday.
Can someone with more experience give me some advice?
 :ty:

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Brembo discs and brake pads
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2024, 12:35:42 »
Hi slaven,
Any pads will be fine with the Brembo discs. The usual choice on here is for EBC HH pads ( sintered), they improve the initial bite/feel on the 650s.
Organics are chosen by some for the rear brake because the lack of bite helps stop ABS lock ups /activation.But very rarely for the front.
When changing the discs ,be aware they will be loctited on, so heat will be needed to loosen them and the bolts tend to be soft and easily rounded.
The squeal is usually because people forget to move the anti squeal shims on the back of the original pads over to the new ones.
Also , it is rare for the 650 discs to give problems, why are you changing them? ,if you don't mind me asking.

Offline slaven

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2024, 13:07:32 »
Hello Nigel, thanks a lot for your kind answer.
And thanks for clearing out about choice of organic application to rear/front. :thumb:
OK, I get it about changing the discs , it will be done by my friend who is really experienced, but can you explain about moving the anti squeal shims? I am not sure I understand, maybe because english is not my mother language...

Well, my bike has 69000 km, that's 43000 miles, and they are really thin and especially scratched ( I am the third owner), and even 15000km prior (when I bought it) they were more or less like that.
What is the usual mileage for disks to be changed? I know it depends a lot of type of ride, but generally speaking? And I was told that also there sintered pads are aggressive toward disks and making those scratches...is there any true to that, or this also depends?
Thanks again :)

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2024, 13:18:29 »
My discs were done at 36k but the Vee is a heavy bike and the previous owner had been running cheaper HH pads.
The HH pads are harder on discs but some people think the extra bite is worth it. Personally I don't like HH pads in the wet so ditched them.

The anti-squeel shims are stainless plates which clip onto the pads, you can see them in the links below;
Front - Just the stainless plates
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/Suzuki-parts/2017-dl650axa-v-strom-motorcycles/front-caliper?_gl=1

Rear - plates and soft insulators
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/Suzuki-parts/2017-dl650axa-v-strom-motorcycles/rear-caliper?_gl=1

Mine had been lost so I bought an OEM pad set to get the backing plates, ended up liking the OEM pads so much I've kept them.

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2024, 14:35:59 »
I recently changed all my pads on the FJR (EBC HH) and they all came with new anti squeal shims in the packet.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 15:16:13 »
crump,
That is a result :thumb:
I would like to say  coming with the shims is because it is a Yam .... but that may get me hung on here :violence-smack:

Ho Hum

Offline nigel s

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2024, 15:29:06 »
Slaven,
Discs are a service item,a bit like Tyres, the more/harder they are used the quicker they will wear out.
The 69,000 km on yours is inside what can be expected, some wear quicker due to heavy use ..some last longer.
The EBC HH are sintered ( same as the std on a 650 ) and MAY wear the discs quicker, but the difference will be a matter of a few 1000 miles  less as to when they need replacing again. Always assuming the calipers are serviced.
Brake pad choice is a personal thing linked to riding style ( a bit like screens  :whistle:) but I have never experienced excessive wear with EBC HHs .
Hopefully Rixington43s explanation about Anti Squeal shims has got you sorted on that score :thumb:

Dr v strom gives a good service guide,

Online crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2024, 16:05:20 »
@nigel s,
don't know if it's just Yams, don't remember them being there with previous sets.

Offline slaven

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2024, 09:43:19 »
Thanks a lot for your help blokes, really appreciated. I will go with EBC HH then :)
Thanks again,

S. :obscene-drinkingchug: