Author Topic: Service activated warranty  (Read 373 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Service activated warranty
« on: September 11, 2024, 19:37:41 »
Quick heads up for those that keep the warranty up.
The service activated extended warranty ( Post 3 years up to 7 years/70,000 miles) needs a service to keep it up, it is NOT automatic.
Sounds obvious.
There could be a period between the 3 year warranty ending and you getting it serviced again that the bike is not covered.
My dealer said due to the miles I do it shouldn't be a problem, I have had the bike 2 years 3 months ( it was however pre registered so only have 6 months of the 3 years left), but said they have used the 30.000 mile service to start the extended warranty, just in case I suddenly stop doing the miles.
I was given a form with a web address and a one time code to start the extended warranty.I got an email confirming it 
 when I used it straight off.
You need to start the service activated  warranty at the service BEFORE the 3 year warranty finishes,to be fully covered,with no gap, whenever that will be for you.

One to keep half an eye on.

Offline minkyhead

Re: Service activated warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 23:45:23 »
  tbo   I've a totally different take on  dealers and service costs  ..
  I buy  near new bikes online    delivered    service them myself   and   never go near a dealer  I don't like them  don't trust them   and   tbo if id paid the local stealer   the 13500 quid they want for the new model  id be slitting my wrists now   as  my 23 plate  de   is worth   6500 quid  according to there  computer  ..which to be fair is probably what id get private  ...
     pre reg with 150 miles and 6 months old  when I bought it   for  9k   take off the two services   they  charge daft money I do my self ,,  and   I'm about   two grand  out of pocket already
   imagine buying it  brand new and paying em to service it  .. id be around 7 grand   lighter now   ..ill take the   5 grand  in me back pocket and   back the Suzuki to   rack up  another two seasons  with little    trouble .. if owt goes wrong I can't fix   I've  got the 5 grand  in me Donkey pocket to fall back on    an one day no doubt ill have to have somthing  fixed  somwhere  when it gets beyound me   ?

it isn't the v strom  it all of em     ride for 15k miles and your prize shiny machine is worth nowt to them  ..tbo  when I feel the need for a  comedy sketch  I  ask them for a trade in price  on whaterver it is  at the time I'm riding  ..they never ask anything   about it   they put the reg number in a machine and it spits out what it spits out   and that's it  it doesn't amtter what extras you may have  how ell its looked after  or any of that   ..they just don't care  ..
the biggest  enemy is depreciation  and miles   cost   shitloads  ..I pay for me recovery service     put oil in and ride it  if it shits itself   my bad and my problem  that said I'm no master mechanic but I know my way around a bike OK and   keep on top of  what's important    with very little in the way of costs      ..but   it make no sense to  me  to  pay em all that money  ..I don't know what a dealer would charge for   a 70k service program but   at 3500  intervals 7k major  and15k valve checks    the maths are already making no sense to me   as I reakon I could buy a new motor off ebay and put it in for less than  a15k service bill      ?

its just a alternative   take  ..id back a ve strom or indeed most mainstream  jap bikes  not to spew its guts   sufficantly to    justify   the servicing costs   they   want to command  ...

What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 05:02:42 »
I get you minkyhead, I have previously always done the same. I tend to keep my bikes and pile miles on them, they do depreciate quickly so why not is my thinking :shrug:
The 650 is only my second  brand new bike in 40 plus years ( the first was a TSX125 when learning) so I treated myself to a warranty ( a novelty for me ), and I am lucky to have a dealer I trust (CJ Balls).
I was going to make this the last warranty  keeping service ( though I change the oil mid way myself ) but the next one is a minor service so is not expensive and will mean I have another 15,000/ a years more warranty for a couple of hundred quid.And parts is half of that  which I would have to get anyway after all.

As a side note the tech came and spoke to me when I picked the bike up to congratulate me on the condition of it and said it was " good to service...unlike some " ,he thought it was in for a 15,000 mile mayor / valve check service and was surprised when turning it on to see 30,000.
I thanked him but didn't have the heart to tell him it  has only been washed once this year ( just before the service )........GT85/ACF 50 rocks , or that I service the brakes myself too, and know how to use grease/ copperslip :grin:

Ho Hum

Online The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 11:26:35 »
At a tender 19 years old I bought a new car and after selling it swore I would never do that again and haven't. Many years later I stupidly bought a new bike. I have never done that again either. Having said that, someone has to be stupid or rich enough to buy new or I wouldn't get my almost new low mileage bargain's.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 12:27:11 »
I deliberately buy lower mileage but older machines. You pay a slight premium for the low miles but the (IMHO) valueless depreciation losses incurred by the 'Keep Up With The Jones' crowd are long gone.
That way any faults from the factory will already have happened, but the purely age related ills are hopefully still a way off.
Older machines also have a wealth of owner knowledge wrapped up on sites like this which is worth it's weight in gold to the home mechanic.
Downside is, once they get too old, the jobs where you HAVE to take it to a pro become trickier due to parts and finding a mechanic who'll ordain to work on something beyond a certain vintage.