Author Topic: First bike trip  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: First bike trip
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2024, 21:55:49 »
Daft I know in the world today but go without a phone! You can do what you like without the distraction, must report in, must get the latest info, must login to my sites, read my mails, even play those games. Take it as it comes, read the road signs without GPS. Take a map though like we all used to.

I hope others will take note too........  :roll:
So how's it going so far then?

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2024, 23:33:33 »
Thankfully there are photos (possibly from said phone) to show all went well but..
In an emergency you should only need to walk 1 to 2 hundred miles to find a functioning call box, assuming you're able to walk 🤣.
By all means turn your phone off during the day but I'm not sure I'd actively go away without it with me at all 😉.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2024, 13:08:20 »
Fully agree Rixington. I will always have my phone on me, it doesn't mean I have to use it.
I used to carry an DSLR camera, sometimes with an extra lens, but for the last couple of trips I've left it at home & used my phone for photographs.
Maybe not quite as good quality photos as the DSLR but phones nowadays are good enough for 'holiday' photos.  :thumb:
Plus it's also connected to my Garmin XT & it gives me all sorts of information via it.
A paper map can't do that, nor can it be easily read when you're riding.  :grin:   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2024, 20:47:10 »
No adventure, you blokes!  Apologies, I did bait 'the phone' as I know how important it has become to so many. However I don't take my phone (nearly anywhere) on bike trips and if I do it's turned off unless I have an emergency and so far I haven't had to use it since 2015 on a motorway in France to get assistance on a tyre blow out.

So yes, a tongue in cheek post but I have also suffered on trips where the phone simply delays why we went there, other folk who must check all and sundry and play 'Wordle' (is it?) before talking about the biking day. I have no problem with it as a GPS on the bike but maps give you the overall picture and those options the programme doesn't see. I must differ about not using it while riding, you plan for a couple of hours maybe or a destination then review the next stage at a stop. I have a GPS but it tells me where I don't want to go often and to me that's not planning.

Each one to their own, of course. :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2024, 13:21:06 »
IMO a phone is an essential item to take. Even if it is 'just for emergencies'. Don't forget that emergencies work both ways and someone may want to contact you, which will be difficult if you don't have one or leave it turned off except for emergencies!!
As for me, I use it for navigation and playing music to my Bluetooth headset, which means I can take calls too (but these are few and far between when I'm touring).

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2024, 14:30:38 »
Must admit I don't like using a nav on a bike, you don't seem to have the same time to view it as when in a car.
I guess when I am on the bike I am more interested in what's around me, I.e. scenery and idiots in cars/vans etc.
If I ever do another long trip I want to get one of those scrolling things that fits on the bars with main route changes and take it from there.  :thumb:
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2024, 06:46:57 »
I usually have TWO phones with me when touring.

I have an old iPhone 5 with no sim card that runs my Beeline and an iPhone XR on which I take pretty much all my ride photo's and also 'ping' my location a couple of times a day to let the family know I'm still in one piece. Then at the end of the day I use it to post a few photo's to Instagram for family and friends.

I can't say I have ever been distracted from the ride or my surroundings by the Beeline.... but then, I do miss a few turnings now and again when really enjoying the road.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Curly9

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2024, 07:37:43 »
Replan your route and stay off of motorways if you can. Motorways are good for catching up if you're running behind, but boring as hell otherwise. You'll see a lot more on A & B roads and as others have said, many more opportunities to stop for food, coffee and fuel. Enjoy your trip mate.

Offline bobbymc

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2024, 10:27:25 »
Spare set of keys in motorcycle jacket or trousers ?
I have a 2009 DL650.

Offline insomniac

• Bike: V-Strom DL1000 X AL9
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2024, 12:05:20 »
Hello, I don't know if you have already been on your trip, if so I hope you enjoyed it. If not then the advise here is pretty good.
From my trips around France, Spain, Ireland and of course the UK I found there are a few essentials.
Breakdown cover (I broke down in Ireland, so needed recovery back to the UK and home)
Puncture Repair (those tins that squirt something into the tyre, just to get you to a garage somewhere to get it replaced, again needed that in Ireland on a different trip)
Phone with power bank (so you can call said breakdown services)
Wet weather gear (hope you don't have to use it, but if you do they are essential)
And for those very long trips, a spare key (I haven't had to use it but my friend has, and if you ever go on a European trip with friends have your friend hold your spare key and you theirs)

AS said on previous post, I would not have anything on my back, putting it on in the garage, kitchen or lounge for a few minutes it'll feel fine. After a few hours on the bike it'll feel like you have rocks on your back and it'll knacker you out. Get a waterproof bag and bungy it to your passenger seat.
V-Strom DL1000 X AL9
V-Strom DL650 L3
Suzuki Volusia VL800
Suzuki Marauder 125

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2024, 12:25:16 »
I prefer to use my brain for navigation, can't beat a map for the big picture.
I use maps on the phone via bluetooth sometimes to find a place like a hotel or bb but I'd rather go where I feel like rather than have constant instructions interrupting my ride,
I think people are losing the ability to navigate without an app or Sat Nav telling them what to do constantly.
I see youtubers with maybe 3 screens in front of them, tft dash, phone and Sat Nav!
I think I'd rather focus on the road.