Author Topic: Rack to put bike on the back of your van  (Read 257 times)

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
Rack to put bike on the back of your van
« on: August 21, 2024, 19:23:53 »
After seven years and 30k miles I can say this works. Happy to share the detail with those genuinely interested.
Situation - No end of motorhome rack manufacturers build them to carry bikes and scooters but only to take up to 125kg's or thereabouts. We wanted to extend our riding season by going south but bit too old for the distance (and the best of your tyres have gone by you get to the med). Don't fancy the idea of towing all that way and the best places to stay are often tucked away in narrow lanes and villages where reversing can be a problem with short bike length trailers.
Answer - Build my own rack that extended the chassis. Rather than using the tow ball mounting so being restricted to the towing nose weight of the van, this let me carry loads up to the limits of my vans tyres, suspension and the maximum allowed gross vehicle weight.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Rack to put bike on the back of your van
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2024, 07:59:51 »
Not being negative here but just a thought... if the bike is perhaps ever a non-runner for some reason or other, would you still be able to get the bike into position behind the van?
Can you share some info on the ramp that you used?

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 09:17:59 »
Ramp I have is 170 cm long. I regularly load and unload a 175kg trail bike without using its engine. Just a short run up and push up the ramp. Anything heavier I use the bikes engine. Just stand to the side and walk her up at tickover. Slipping the clutch to control speed and cover the front brake as a safety net.
Any weight of bike could be loaded with the help of someone pushing from behind. Don't fancy loading or unloading something heavy with a puncture though.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 15:06:07 »
That looks like a much better solution than having the bike take up space in a garage at the rear of the van and much better than a trailer especially if traveling by ferry or train. Brilliant! I think I would have to find someone to help me load and unload it though, I'm not half the man I was and not even a quarter of the man who I think I was.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 21:15:38 »
That looks like a much better solution than having the bike take up space in a garage at the rear of the van and much better than a trailer especially if traveling by ferry or train.  :thumb:

Saving on ferry was partly my driver.
That's a VStrom on the back. Needs a massive garage and even the smallest bikes take up a surprising load of room.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2024, 22:27:40 »
I’m sure there could be a few people interested on the Motorhome Fun forum, do you know of it? It’s a very busy forum.

When we had our camper we had a tow bar fitted for a bike trailer, but others were always looking for better solutions.

It really does look like a great solution to an ongoing issue with van owners.👍

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 22:43:54 »
Thank you for letting me know. I'm not signed up to motorhome fun but the great advice posted by the folk on there can be trusted.
Thinking I might just show up there.