Author Topic: Engine fart and then loss of power for a second need ideas as to fix  (Read 391 times)

Offline simonbiker

• Bike: DL1000 K2
hi blokes and girls so bought a DL1000 k2 2002 when riding for a second have a fart sound loss of power for a second and then goes straight back to power need ideas on what it could be so I can find it and repair it cheers

Offline simonbiker

I'm am currently changine exhuast seals and front crush washer on the manifold but the ones that are on a basically new so I think previous owner replaced them recently enough but just looking for ideas

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Check that the throttle body boots are securely fixed to the engine and, more likely, that the air box boots are securely attached to the throttle bodies.
The front jubilee clip is an arse to get to and has to be on the right way round to sit against a plastic tab on the air box so you can properly tighten it.
If poorly or incorrectly fitted then the front boot can detach and completely mess up the fuelling under load. Next options would be;
Throttle body balance.
Bad Spark Plug.

Offline simonbiker

hi bud thanks for the responce yeh that's what I thought I've just done the front crush gasket I didn't do the rear as you said but annoying two of the clamps I have are the wrong size so Going to have to wait till next week to stick the rest of the exhaust on...... bummer but luckily I have other things to do like brakes bleeding etc so I will get to that today and wait till next week I will order new sparks today and change them just incase don't have time to get to the throttle body to check if its mounted properly but I will check if they are mounted on the boots properly I know this was a problem I had when first doing my own carbs on me fazers

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Can you reproduce this loss of power fault while the bike is stationary or does it only happen while riding?

If only while riding, at what rpm does it occur? Does the loss of power cause the bike to bump start itself or is it a stumble as in a cough then recover itself without any extra input from the throttle (aka at a constant throttle)?

Have you tried placing the bike into dealer mode and riding while in dealer mode, to see whether there is any fault indicator / dealer mode code? Note that the dealer mode code will clear itself once the ignition is turned off.  https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html 

If this is a stumble at a fixed throttle position but recovers as the throttle is opened, it could be TPS related. https://themotorguy.com/how-can-I-identify-a-faulty-throttle-position-sensor-in-my-bike/

For a possible solution to the rear throttle body boot pulling loose, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,2990.0.html