Author Topic: Battery charge level display.  (Read 698 times)

Online buzzwold

• Bike: 2022 DL650 AM1
Battery charge level display.
« on: December 29, 2023, 20:31:37 »
Wondering if someone can advise me about my battery level display.
It only reads 11.5v when at rest, 14.5v when running. At rest measured directly on the battery terminals I get 12.5v.
A bit of history about the bike, it's a 22 reg 650 AM1.
Bike was delivered  yesterday and it has been stood at the dealers for a reasonable amount of time and very likely without any
battery conditioner fitted.
I didn't start it up yesterday, I left it until today.
The bike started without any problem with no sluggishness of the starter motor  which was encouraging, and I took it out for a 30 mile ride.
Whilst running the display was showing 14.5v which to me, indicates that the alternator is functioning about right.
Back at home and engine at rest, display was reading 11.5v and a reading taken at the battery terminals showed 12.5v.
I'm wondering that being as the bike has been sat for a fairly long period of time, and only having a shortish (30 mile) run  then the battery is not likely to have built up a full charge in that time.
I didn't think to restart the bike and check voltage at the battery after checking it at rest so I'll do that tomorrow and see what I get.
Would it be advisable to charge the battery off the bike? I do have an Ansmann battery charger which I used to charge a 12v sla battery for a hobby of mine and I'm wondering if that would be suitable for a few hours of charging.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Battery charge level display.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 20:52:12 »
When you say at rest, do you mean ticking over or switched off?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 21:42:31 »
Batteries at rest with ignition off should settle and not go below about 12.3 volts and charging rates shouldn't go above 14.5v.

If your display shows 11.5v, this is because it picks up its readings elsewhere which would have a slight power drain with ignition on if your bike isn't running.

Once your bike is running the readings should be accurate.

From what you're describing,  your battery is functioning as it should. 

As for your battery charger , I'm not sure it will be OK for a motorcycle battery , it may just maintain it and not charge it , I maybe wrong....
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online buzzwold

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 22:38:39 »
Thanks for the replies Rusty Nuts and Kwackboy.
Rusty Nuts, when at rest engine not running but ignition on, display indicates 11.5v
Ignition off, 12.5v at battery terms.
I'll retest at the battery terms in the morning, ignition off, inition on and engine running at various revs and see what I get.
Kwackboy, from what you've said as regards rest voltage at battery and running voltage, it sounds like all is OK. Thanks for that.
Ref the battery charger ,it was used for a 12v 7Ah sla battery. Charger output at 12v is stated at 600mA. (Ansmann model ALCS2-24A).
I was just a bit concerned that the battery had been left for a long time without any charge going into it  and it might have damaged it.
I'll do my checks tomorrow and post up the results.
Next thing for me to think about is optimate, oximiser or ctek for charging/conditioning.
Thanks again chaps, much appreciated.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 13:11:47 »
If you're testing with the ignition on but engine not running the reading will be lower as the headlight, side lights & other electrics will be drawing current from the battery.
12.5v at rest (& no ignition on) is OK, not 100% but OK. Maybe a bit more riding will give it the boost required.  :thumb:

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 06:25:05 »

Online buzzwold

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 16:52:25 »
Never made it out to the garage yesterday, one of "them" days.
Had a check of figures today and results were as follows.
All results taken direct from battery.
ignition off 12.4v
ignition on  11.8v
engine running tickover up to 14.9v, a bit high? (dashboard display 14.5v)
running @ 4000rpm 13.6 - 14.7v
back at tickover (after 5-10 mins) 14.6 - 14.7v
Popped out to get fuel and when back and engine off, 12.67v
I'm a bit concerned about the initial voltage going to battery on initial start-up, I'll grab a calibrated multimeter from work on Tuesday and see what that reads.
I'll have a look at the link you posted Gert, and hopefully the at rest voltage of 12.67 is good and it's responding to more usage, ref Micks comment.
Cheers for all replies folks.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 17:16:00 »
If you're referring only to the battery level display on the dash, I wouldn't take it as gospel. Mine quite often reads around 11.4-11.5v, quite far off what the battery actually is when measured directly with a multimeter, as you found (bike off).

My theory initially was that it was caused by voltage drop +/- 6 years of corrosion in my wiring harness (since I've not yet had the main connector apart), but given yours seems to be about the same but much newer, maybe it's just how they come. I treat it as an indicator of what the charging circuit is doing vs an accurate voltage reading.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 17:38:54 »
Bizarrely Suzuki say the charging range should be 14.0v - 15.5v .
If a regulator is putting in a constant 15.5v I'd replace it but as yours occasionally hits 14.9v max imput I wouldn't worry.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 18:06:27 »
Don't forget, when testing the battery for the 'at rest' voltage the bike needs to be standing, ignition off, for at least an hour, two is better.
Mick

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 19:14:28 »
Never knew that, Mick. To let the battery cool down?

Online buzzwold

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 19:45:18 »
great replies and attachments chaps,
I was beginning to fret a bit over the 15v into battery reading. I'll recheck that rest voltage tomorrow and see what it is. Even emailed Suzuki to find out how I transfer the rest of the warranty over, just in case this was an issue and also because I should have done it when I bought the bike.
Much appreciated.
Happy New Year to All.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 04:45:40 »
No Rusty, a battery can maintain a "surface charge" after being on a charger, which can give false readings if testing (I.e. higher than actual voltage readings, sometimes why you see batteries sitting at 13v+ when a fully charged lead acid should only be 12.8v~.

A small load (like a headlamp or other load) should knock the surface charge off and give you true readings. This is why you'll sometimes get people turning on a cars headlights for a bit before testing with an electromagical non-load battery tester, as the surface charge can fool them (some even refuse to test if it detects a surface charge).

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/44197/what-is-surface-charge-and-how-does-it-affect-battery-testing

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 08:02:56 »
Cheers, PBU.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 11:35:26 »
Rusty, it's just something I read or heard about years ago but I couldn't have explained the technical/scientific reason behind it & to be honest never even thought about looking for it!  :)
In my experience leaving the battery 'at rest' an hour or two has seen a decent reading. I never thought about switching the lights on to get the same result.  :thumb: 
Thanks purplebikeunicorn. Every day's a school day.  :grin:
Mick