Author Topic: V-Strom 800DE  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
V-Strom 800DE
« on: October 25, 2023, 17:53:38 »
I'll ask the question Fat Rat, as it's not a 'V' but parralel twin will it get included in this forum along with all the DLs at the top of the boards? Does it qualify because it's called V-Strom? Personally I think it should have been given another identity but Suzuki slapped V-Strom on it anyway.  :shrug:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: V-Strom 800DE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 17:59:19 »
Well, the 250 seems to be an accepted family member......

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 20:14:28 »
We'll be seeing the DE at the top of the page then........

:welcani:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 06:58:49 »
I've just read the first press launch review on Visor Down and they liked the RE..... but we kind of knew they would, encouraging though.

I'm off to the NEC next month to take a good look at it, although I am pretty sure my local dealer will have a demo bike in as soon as they are released.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline deecat

• Bike: DL800RE
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 21:46:45 »
I had a call from my dealer to let me know that they are getting one in in the next couple of weeks for us to have a look at.

Offline wreckdiver

• Bike: BMW GS700, V-Strom
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 09:59:31 »
I was really impressed by the 800 apart from terrible screen and inner tubes🤬 so can’t wait to see the new version.
I rode the 800 back to back with the 1050,couldn’t wait to hand the 1050 back!

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 16:31:39 »
I test road the 800 and liked it a lot. My intension was to wait a year then look for a low mileage used one with panniers, crash bars, spotlights etc already fitted but couldn't wait and bought a DL1000 ABS instead. I think the former keeper threw the Suzuki catalogue of extras at it, almost £500 for Suzuki fog lights, now that's expensive and in my opinion they are not brilliant.

If I had waited I definitely would have bought the RE model for the same reasons wreckdiver mentioned above but that 800 is a cracking bike and I think the DE would be well suited for world travel with lots of loose trails.  :auto-dirtbike:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 16:39:27 »
Hoping a few on here get the 800 RE. Watched a few YouTube videos and I'm really liking the look of it. A view from actual riders in real world situations would be good. Hopefully get to the Brum show and have a sit on one.
Personally wish manufacturers would off more stuff as an option. Don't need quickshifters etc so would ve nice buy a bit cheaper without that sort of stuff.

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 19:28:44 »
Agreed....quickshifter is a bit unnecessary (though it does work well on the 8S), better to have a centre stand, handguards and a 12V socket.

Offline crump

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 19:36:54 »
Agree Tiger, and heated grips.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 13:17:04 »
I went to the NEC yesterday and had a good look at the VStrom 800 DE and RE.

I found the seating position on the RE just a tiny bit cramped.

I have restricted movement in my left knee (pillion accident a long time ago) and so I don't like my knees bent too far, at least not for a full days riding. The sales bloke said there will be a tall seat option and I later read that the seat height has been dropped a little in comparison to previous models.

The matt green colour is really very ordinary and if you wanted a bike to be effectively invisible in both urban and open environments... that colour would be a good choice. The black looks very...erm black and the blue looks good to me.

I shall definitely book a test ride on the RE.

I looked at loads of other bikes, obviously, some I liked, some not so much but a couple of things that struck me were just how massively popular the R1300GS was, all day, with gentlemen of a certain age (lots of bald heads and white hair), and elsewhere how little attention the Benelli stand was getting and also how absolutely anonymous the new RE Himalayan is... you really could walk past one on the street and hardly see it.

I must drop into my local Suzuki dealer next time I'm passing.

Offline crump

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 14:19:11 »
Must admit, of all the newer bikes the Vstrom RE is the one that appeals most, I'd need a test ride
Had a go on my mates new Transalp a few weeks ago, that was nice to ride and very easy.
I've always fancied a Himalayan but the power output put me off, the new one has a bit more but probably not quite enough, could see me on one of the old ones for a second bike/trail bike.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 17:04:22 »
Neil, there should not be any difference between RE and DE in relation to the angle of your knees. The lower seat height comes from having smaller wheels... at least that's what the tech chap told me there!

What I also found is it seemed smaller when sat on it, but I think  this is just because the fuel tank has been slightly redesigned so isn't so bulbous on top (I felt like I was sitting higher than on my 650).

The new Himmy was a nice bike, slightly increased power over the current one, looked the dogs danglies I will admit. They didn't have a price for it when we were there, something about a press release coming in the next couple of weeks.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 06:53:36 »
You're right, the DE and RE seating positions felt the same, but without a ride it's really impossible to judge properly.

As an example of that, two years ago I went to the NEC to look at the 'new' Tiger 660. I sat on the demo bike a couple of times during the day and it felt great. As soon as Fowlers had a demo bike, I booked a ride.

I wasn't even out of the car park before I knew it wasn't the bike for me. An hour's test ride later I was even more convinced.

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2023, 11:16:23 »
Just got back from poking around the RE.Though I had ridden the 650 up I declined a test ride 'cos it was wet and cold and the RE had no heated grips /hand guards  or somewhere to plug in my heated jacket.Booked for next week when more suitably attired .
I liked it.The pegs are slightly further back and higher than the DE, not much, but added to the lower narrower bars mounted further fwd more sports tourer than ADV.
The screen from the DE should fit,and they do a tall seat and center stand,but as extras.
Also buy before Jan and they throw in the heated grips.
He is getting back to me on whether the forks are cartridge or damper rod.Cartridge means cheaper mods and I doubt anyone does cartridge conversions on such a new bike yet.