Author Topic: Help an aero thicko  (Read 773 times)

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
Help an aero thicko
« on: October 31, 2023, 13:11:51 »
Hi blokes - I've got a MSR screen with the adjustable wind spoiler thingy.  It's decent and, since I got a new, more expensive, better fitting lid, wind noise is not bad at all.  Buuuut, if I sink down probably nor more than an inch, it goes almost silent.  I'd like to be able to dial that in for any longer higher speed stuff but I'm not sure which way I should be moving things.  The motorway is a long way from my house so it's not easy to test. 

I've got the spoiler at its highest position currently just because that makes sense to my tiny mind.  Any advice or is that just as good as it's going to get unless I decide to be an inch shorter?

Mirrors are already swapped for smaller units and it's not buffeting as such, just air hitting the top of my helmet I think.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Help an aero thicko
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 13:41:11 »
It's  really quite straightforward. All you need to do is buy three or four different screens, two different sets of adjustable brackets, three clip-on / bolt on spoilers, a bag of spacers, a new helmet and you'll be so skint and pissed off with the whole rigmarole you'll say feck it and just ride anyway.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 13:55:21 »
I mounted an MRA spoiler on a screen and tilted the top of it forward. It looked odd but it did work for me.  I don't have any experience with an MSR so I don't know if you can try it.
You could tape 10cm strands of wool every 10cm around the screen and by observation at various speeds identify the source or the buffeting.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 13:55:48 »
It could be coming from around the sides, so have a read of https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21591.0

I find wind noise much worse if I have a Satnav mounted above the speedo which is reduced by ducking down, so if you have anything mounted there, try removing it.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 14:17:21 »
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 14:31:12 »
It's an MRA screen - apologies.  Guess I'll just have to waste a few motorway miles when I get the next opportunity.  Thanks

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 15:02:15 »
Similar to what Brockett said but just ride in the rain and see where the rain on the screen is going. Moving your head up and down with rain on the visor is a good indicator too. I guess it rains as much in Cardiff as in England. I visited the Christmas market there last year, loved it.

That drifted a little off target, sorry.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 15:21:02 »
There's 3 possible positions for your screen, not much between them all but worth a try?
Other than that, if it's just wind noise, are you wearing ear plugs? 
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 17:13:12 »
I bought this item
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=40049.msg411033#msg411033
And it was all good, but I now have a Madstad equivalent. I bought the Palmer when the Madstad was on order and it was taking ages post covid so ended up with the two.
If you are interested in it ( I think L3 is 2013?) PM me and I'll take some photos.
https://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/product-page/Suzuki-DL650-v-strom-2011-Windscreen -kit
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 17:23:49 »
When I was scratching my head (sawdust everywhere) about screens I checked the MRA out and they seemed a bit short. But I'm 6'4" with a 2 inch (no not that) seat rise.
I went Loster with the Puig Flip. It's a good set up.....but will it work for you, we're back to those worms!
I angle the top out, probably around vertical.
Good luck, you'll need it.
Upt.

Online Pannier Down

• Bike: DL1050, BMW R1200RT LC, Honda CD200 T Benly, Honda C50 Cub
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 22:44:46 »
I added a flip to the standard screen on my 1050. Tried lots of positions but like you,  found a sweet feeling spot if I  ducked down.  Ultimately a trip to the motorway and an hour or so cruising between junctions and adjusting was required to find something close to (but not quite) perfection. Funny how it's still perfect if I duck a little. 

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 11:22:27 »
There's 3 possible positions for your screen, not much between them all but worth a try?
Other than that, if it's just wind noise, are you wearing ear plugs?

Thanks for this - just whipped the screen off and glad I did.  The 2 upper bolt washer/nut things have rotted/failed so I've ordered a new set.  It's also on it's middle position so I will reinstall on the higher and test before I start looking at adjustable brackets etc as kindly offered by our forum member.