Author Topic: Solid Red FI Light  (Read 720 times)

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

• Bike: V-Strom1000 (DL1000A) 2016
Solid Red FI Light
« on: December 20, 2023, 09:22:33 »
Hello everyone. Am fairly new to V-Stroms. Bought my bike 2nd hand but in good condition with less than 8000 miles on it.

Anyway today when starting the bike, the bike started and ran but the red FI light stayed solid red during idle for about 3 minutes, but once I started riding, it turned off and didn't come back on. Due to it being close to Xmas, dealerships and bike workshops here are closed already for the Xmas break. I do also know about putting it in dealer mode, but kind of just thought I'd ask here first before I even attempt that.
Bike was in storage for 4-5 months prior but it started, idled and ran just fine. No stutters and the check engine light wasn't on and it wasn't alternating between the clock and red FI light. It was just solid red, as far as I saw or paid attention anyway.

My 2 questions are:
1. What does the solid red FI light indicate when it isn't alternating between the clock and FI error?
2. Is it something to be concerned about or is it a symptom of being in storage?
It is a 2016 DL1000

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Solid Red FI Light
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 09:32:32 »
Morning. If you use the search function for 'dealer mode', your bike will display a code to point you in the right direction. My money is on the O2 sensor.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 10:01:13 »
 :welcome:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 12:26:42 »
This should answer your questions. https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41251
But as fat Rat says, you need the code to point you to the fault, so put it into dealer mode & get the code.

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 17:25:41 »
My bet is it'll be the exhaust valve down near your right foot, always sticks on mine if left up for a few weeks. But as others have said you need the code to be sure.
 Find the big grey plug under the seat and you can short it out there or buy the switch of EBay that you can leave on 24/7 and check as you need to. If you turn the bike off to remove the seat to short out the connector the code is lost, you need both keys or the switch.

Offline TrooperOnAStrom

• Bike: V-Strom1000 (DL1000A) 2016
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 05:05:22 »
Thanks for all the responses. My local Suzuki dealership had a servo buddy in stock and just installed it and this weird clicking noise I had is now gone and no more FI light  during idle. So the exhaust valve thing was the culprit.
Bike is otherwise basically new still.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 10:29:24 »
Great you got it sorted, I must get one of those for my bike one day.