Author Topic: 2003 DL1000 - Charging Issues - Wire Harness Trouble Shooting  (Read 645 times)

Offline cjbenedict

• Bike: DL1000 K3
2003 DL1000 - Charging Issues - Wire Harness Trouble Shooting
« on: September 27, 2023, 17:37:26 »
Good Day, I picked up a 2003 DL1000 this summer.  It was a good price but had not been taken care of for a long time.  Am pretty sure it has spent some of its life outdoors.  It needed Tyres, brakes, chain/sprocket, wheel bearings steering bearings, fluids changed, etc.  I can do the work myself so was a good enough price to buy.

But I don't know electrical, am learning as I go.

The bike died while riding it, battery was drained.  I changed the battery since it was old and the bike was ridden for another week or two.

The bike died again while riding. The stator check looked bad, I changed it and indeed one of the poles was burnt out.  I changed the rectifier as well.  The new stator has 20v at idle across the three phases, the new rectifier has a good diode test with consistent values for all the diodes.

The bike still does not charge.  The voltage of the battery @4000rpm is something like 0.1v higher than the voltage at idle, which is the same as the voltage of the battery with the engine off.

I have checked continuity for all fuses in the fuse box, and the starter relay "main fuse".  Each fuse was removed and put back in, although I have not changed any the fuses.

The wire diagram (and this is my first time reading one,) shows that the rectifier power goes to the starter relay, and from there to the battery.  The ground goes into the wire harness and then everywhere.

With battery disconnected, continuity for the two red wires (wire harness connector, rectifier disconnected) from the rectifier to the starter relay connector look good.  Continuity for the two black wires from the rectifier to the starter relay connector show high ohms, one at 30K, one at 7M.  However these values change with the ignition switch in the on position, although still show resistance.  I didn't write down the values.

I haven't taken off the tank and fairings yet, so I haven't checked the frame and engine grounds for corrosion yet.  I do not know where they are.

After chatting with a friend, he suggested using a battery that is known to be good and see what happens.  Next, to take out the starter relay and check it properly.  Next, to take the fuse box out and check it properly.  Next, to start opening up the wiring harness in the area of the rectifier/starter relay (they are close beside eachother) and check the wiring.

Some questions, for which I am hoping people can point me in the right direction,

Does anyone know if the ground resistance I mentioned above is an indicator of a problem, or is that to be expected?  I ask the question because the ohms changing with ignition on vs off tells me more is happening behind the scenes.

Are the next steps I am planning to do correct, or should I be checking something else?

If it turns out to be corrosion in the wire harness, and I decide that I want to replace it instead of taking it apart, can anyone confirm what year DL1000 wiring harness' are compatible?  Ebay says 2002-2006, however oem part numbers are different for every year.  I would want to buy with confidence, if I don't know for certain then I would just be looking for a 2003 wire harness...

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at the end of my knowledge before I start doing a teardown on the bike,

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: 2003 DL1000 - Charging Issues - Wire Harness Trouble Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 07:47:56 »
The 20V that you tested as output of the stator, how did you take this voltage reading. Was the output reading as DC or AC voltage?
With reference to the attached pix in reply #17 of https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=42623.msg441631#msg441631, take a no load AC voltage reading across the three yellow wires, in the configuration as shown in the pix.

The K3 - L2 (2003 - 2012) Vee has had many reports of stator magnet migration. Unfortunately you would have to pull the stator cover again, to access the stator magents.  The basic solution to stator magnet migration is to make use of (non-quick-setting) JB Weld or a similar expoxy. Don't put the JB Weld between the magnets and the rotor, but just create a little fillet / bridge that fills the gap between the magnets. Both the magnetic force and the centrifugal force will keep the magnets against the rotor, so there's no need for any sort of glue there. You just need to prevent them from sliding together. And mark your magnets before you remove them from the rotor. Polarity is important so the magnets need to be placed back in the exact same order and orientation as how you found them. Let the JB Weld cure / set for at least 24 hrs.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 10:02:03 »
Second for what Gert wrote. Magnets very likely. I had exactly the same issue in 2017 when I purchased my K5 1000. Since jbweld fix,  never had a problem again. It has been 6 years already, recently checked, magnets still in place.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 10:05:04 »

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 12:58:27 »
    Yes ground resistance can be a problem,if the 1000 is the same setup as my 650 K9 was,there are two wires  coming from the battery negative,the thicker cable is the main earth to the engine casing and the smaller one is the main negative cable from the rectifier to the battery.Mine had a dodgy connector about halfway and the inner had moved inside the plastic connector and was hardly touching.I stripped it and soldered the ends together.Job done.
Ian Mc.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 13:35:13 »
A non-continuous main earth cable? Seems like a splendid idea. For ease of routing and assembly, rather than considering its function?

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 18:08:10 »
   That's Suzuki for you.🤓
   It’s not the main earth/negative cable,just the return/sensing for the alternator,it took me weeks to find it on my K9,and it’s a total pig to get to, as it’s in the area between the cylinders to the right hand side of the bike quite low down as it is heading for the rectifier.

Ian Mc.