Author Topic: Stator generator problem  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Stator generator problem
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2023, 08:03:07 »
I would go back a step or two. The service manual extract posted in reply #17 illustrates taking a no load AC voltage measurement, across the three yellow leads from the stator, with the engine running at 5,000 rpm.

The no load means that the three yellow wired connector, from the stator to the voltage regulator, is disconnected / pulled.  I would imagine that this where you took the resistance testing readings from?  I'm not sure if there is another connector in between the stator and the regulator.   And if the stator wires are a different colour as explained in #6, then those are the wire colours to test.

Anyhow, if you don't measure any AC voltage at this point and there is not another connector in between, then I would safely say that either the magnet orientation or the stator is the cause of the failing to charge.

Please report back on the AC voltage reading results.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: Stator generator problem
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2023, 11:01:52 »
Even allowing for the Sherlock Holmes quote
"if you've ruled out all that is possible then it must be the impossible"
Rotor replaced and stator replaced (multiple times) so not that.
Fitted correctly in so much as that the rotor is rotating and the lines of magnetic force are passing over/through the coils of the stator as it does so, so not that.
Courtesy of the laws of physics and a Mr Faraday two hundred years ago then you do have electricity.
Are you sure you're testing correctly in the right places?
It's a three phase alternator, the coils are connected in delta so no good testing between earth and a wire it has to be between the wires.
All clearly shown in the workshop manual attachments.