Author Topic: Too much engine braking.  (Read 838 times)

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Too much engine braking.
« on: September 12, 2023, 11:18:33 »
Is there anything I can do to reduce engine braking a little? It is so heavy that when I roll off the throttle there is effect like I would apply brakes full power (when I downshift this is the most visible - even with rev match) Brakes are not binding so it is definitely engine causing this. Throttle is so sensitive that I need to take slow turns with clutch as it is becoming danerous without it. I am kind of used to that but it is really annoying.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Too much engine braking.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 11:33:42 »
Emgine braking is simply a feature of your type of engine.  If you were a newbie I'd say get used to it or buy a 4 cylinder bike. Obviously you've had the klv some time, so it seems as if somethings changed. Possibly fuelling or tps issues?

Offline pichulec

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 11:44:10 »
Nothing changed, I got used to for years but It annoys me so much that I finally decided to write about it. TPS is perfectly in the middle when checking in dealer mode. Fuelling also is OK, I have map from 4th gear on all the gears (TRE). Was just hoping anything can be done about it. Mainly it is about on/off throttle. I can live with the engine braking.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:54:13 »
Have you tried unplugging the TRE and seeing what effect that has on the abruptness of the throttle in the lower gears.
The Suzuki map retards the timing which has the effect of slightly softening the throttle response to make the lower gears more manageable.
I removed the TRE that came on my Vee as I felt it made the throttle too snatchy in the lower gears, fuelling still seems fine without it.
* I know some people hate the feel of the engine without the TRE fitted so it's purely an experiment.

If your issue is going from on throttle to off throttle though then that's just these bikes I'm afraid, big Vs wihtout slipper clutches.

Offline pichulec

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 12:01:32 »
I cannot imagine riding without TRE, it is so much worse that I will never consider that. Maybe I will try to tinker with cables free play. That's the only thing I can think of...

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:08:44 »
Hope you get it sorted.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 12:21:10 »
What can sometimes help in resolving a situation like this is to try and separate the subjective and objective.
Or to put it more simply try and get somebody with the same bike as you ( a Vee should do) to have a ride on yours or let you have a ride on theirs and see if the perceived problem is the same.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 17:32:21 »
Have you also started riding in lower gears? The higher the gear, the less engine braking (at least in my experience). For instance if I let off the throttle in 3rd gear, there is less than 2nd.

Offline tony d

• Bike: DL1000 L5
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 17:44:53 »
Hi had similar problem all was checked out chain tension OK so I thought but it had tight spots causing it to jump and snatch at low speed replaced chain like riding a new bike

Offline pichulec

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 18:59:32 »
tony d, maybe here is the problem, I have noticed my chain is veery jerky. Tension is OK but I remember riding it for a while to tight , corrected after few hundred miles. Will check.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 19:22:05 »
My old K6 1000 was similar, it had a full custom map on a PC3 power commander, the throttle behaved like a kill switch when closed.

The best way is expensive, an aftermarket slipper clutch.

The cheapest is adjust your riding style, like I did by using the clutch to reduce the issue.  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 10:47:30 »
If I'm carrying a pillion and want to make engine breaking more comfortable I'll pull the clutch in and slowly release it.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 10:58:05 »
Maybe also check cush drive rubbers if they haven't been changed.
If your sprocket carrier falls out easily when you remove your wheel then they're probably past their best.
New rubbers won't reduce the engine braking as such but they will smooth it out and make slow speed control in the lower gears less jerky.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 14:44:22 »
I think chain tension is critical with VStroms. I’ve had a ‘15 Glee and now ‘22 1050A and both have been the same.
I saw once that GreyWolf recommended running the chain at the looser end of the 20-30mm adjustment range, to make everything smoother and that really works.
Despite asking the technician every time its serviced/tyre change to leave at that looser end, it always comes back at the tighter end and it makes a big difference to general smoothness and gear change.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 23:10:04 »
I've had tyres changed on the V-Strom and a BMW I had previously (F650 single cylinder) and also recently had the chain and sprockets changed on the Strom. Three different mechanics and all of them left the chain loose. In the past I have taken the bike home and adjusted to the Suzuki recommendation but the last time I left it what I and Suzuki would call, loose.

I hope those three mechanics are right but the bike rides good as is so they can't be far wrong.    :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.