Author Topic: Poor starting - DL1000  (Read 392 times)

Offline Alan Ba

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
Poor starting - DL1000
« on: September 14, 2023, 09:09:02 »
Have recently purchased a 2018 DL1000 with only 4.5K miles.  One owner who had done two continental trips in the first two years of the bike's life, and then parked in his garage for the next three.  Claimed to have regularly started, changed oil every year, and MOT's each year, but virtually no miles added.  when I collected it was reluctant to start, but it seemed fine once started, and restarted fine, so having travelled a considerable distance I decided to still buy.
Since then I have added another 500 miles, and it goes great and starts instantly after the initial start, but the first start is always reluctant to fire up, sometimes have to run the starter for about five seconds up the four times, and sometimes it fires up after about 8 seconds.
Had it serviced by a Suzuki dealer earlier this week and they confirmed everything appears OK, and no immediate answer to the starting problem, with only suggestion being replacement of the fuel filter in the tank.
Has anyone ever had similar problem, or any thoughts about what the problem could be ?

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Poor starting - DL1000
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 13:12:34 »
If sat for years fuel filter would be the first bet + petrol cleaner to the tank.

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: Poor starting - DL1000
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 20:26:20 »
It's possible the pump could be loosing fuel pressure.

Over time, a pump immersed in degrading fuel , especially E10 may have damaged the high pressure seal between the pump and the filter.

I may be wrong , just a theory. 

Number 5 in the picture. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂