Author Topic: Replacing Coolant 2007 Vstrom 650  (Read 512 times)

Offline pwvstrom1000

• Bike: DL1000XA
Replacing Coolant 2007 Vstrom 650
« on: September 07, 2023, 14:44:25 »
Hi everyone. Forgive me if this topic has been posted somewhere before. I did the search here and also looked at a couple of YouTube videos as I would like to change the coolant on my wife's 2007 Vstrom 650. While I'm at it, the spark plugs will be done as well. Any link to a how to would be great.

Thanks!

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Replacing Coolant 2007 Vstrom 650
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 14:57:37 »
There's a K4 and a K9 service manual in the downloads, I would think either would cover those procedures.
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads.htm

* I have family in St Thomas, you live in a lovely part of the world you lucky bugger.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 07:37:40 »
Take care as not to over tighten the sump plug / oil drain plug. It is easy to cross thread / damage / strip the threads, if you work ham-fisted.  Same thing applies to the oil filter threads.

DR Strom has a few helpful videos, if you need a guide or you could read through https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/04/01/changing-the-motor-oil-with-a-skidplate-installed/

Spark plugs can also be easy to cross thread, so take care. It is suggested that you turn the spark plug in bu hand for the first few turns.  It is easier to feel when things go south than detecting a problem through the plug spanner.  The plug spanner in the bike's tool kit works best.
There is a trick to accessing and working on the top front cylinder spark plug. The radiator makes it a slightly fustrating task, but if you work carefully, you can prevent damage to the radiator fins.  You could try some cardboard, to help protect the radiator fins while you work in that area.
A reminder that there are four spark plugs to change on the K7 Wee (two per cylinder), unlike the earlier models which only have two spark plugs (one per cylinder).

Offline pwvstrom1000

• Bike: DL1000XA
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 14:35:30 »
Thanks for the tips. I grabbed the service manual and I will take a look around for that spark plug wrench. I know I have one from my old Honda Nighthawk so that might work as well. I found a good video online on changing the coolant which I will try this fall after the snow gets here. Thanks!