Author Topic: Indicators not bloody working  (Read 472 times)

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
Indicators not bloody working
« on: September 16, 2023, 01:02:59 »
G,day all.

I’m seeking the collective wisdom of the brains trust.
Simple statement my LH indicators aren’t working, RH are fine. LH nothing.

I have pulled apart and cleaned the connector on the rad shroud and have checked the functioning of the switch. That all seems to be fine. The connections through the switch all make a circuit when they are supposed to. I have had the switch off the bike and stripped and cleaned it to no avail.

I have pulled the big shrouded plug that sits in the lh side of the fairing and cleaned the contacts there. No difference.

I have checked the continuity of the wiring as far as I can and can’t find anything.

The only thing I can think of is the indicator relay is on the fritz, but looking at the service manual it appears that the indicator side of the relay is a simple 2 pole relay, so I don’t understand why it would allow the RH side to work and not the LH. Unless it’s a break in the wiring up to the relay.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and all suggestions, including torching the f***ing thing, greatfully received.

Has anyone come across this problem before?
In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Indicators not bloody working
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 07:48:00 »
What happens when you turn on the hazzard lights? Do both sides work or only the one side?  Also check whether both front and rear indicators comes on.

If both fornt and rear on both sides flash, then it would likey be the cluster indicator switch.
If only one side, then it would likey be something to do with the wiring circuit.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 10:33:36 »
This may be a stupid question but, could it simply be a fuse? Sorry.   :roll:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 13:02:57 »
I'm with Gert, if it's got hazards, do they work. If they do it's probably the switchgear. I can't see how it can be the relay, but I'm an electrical idiot so what do I know.
The switch may simply be worn out or just crappy in there, we're you able to get to the contacts and what did you use to clean them, you need contact cleaner.
Good luck and g'day.
Upt.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 13:04:57 »
If that doesn't work,
Purchase 5 litres of petrol.
Thoroughly soak the motorcycle.
Retire to a safe distance and caboom.
Have a tinny and make an insurance claim.
You're welcome.
Upt.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 15:07:08 »
I would use a circuit tester to check the output from the handlebar switch and then follow that wire all the way to the relay. The loom may contain some very poor connections hidden its dark and  hidden depths. You might then trace the wire from the relay to wherever it splits to feed front and rear indicators.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 21:46:21 »
Measuring voltage with a multimeter alone is not enough if you're possibly dealing with crusty wires and connectors, you need to draw some load over the wires.

A simple test light (incandescent type) can be had on eBay for a few pounds, and will draw 300mA~, just make sure its a bulb type not just LED alone.

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 22:27:46 »
G'day all,
and many thanks for all the replies and advice. I have to admit that it was Gerts comment regarding the hazard lights that prompted a different chain of thought.

Now the hazard lights have never worked properly and as I was trying the switch out repeatedly, I noticed that there was a dim in the glow of the neutral light just as I selected the hazards or indicators on. This led me to believe that something in the circuit was receiving power, and as none of the magic electric smoke had escaped from the wires, I deduced that it wasn’t a short.

Now up to this point I had been approaching the problem like an electrician (which I am most obviously not) and relying on various circuit testers, and ringing out wires to check for continuity, I even went as far as to see if the TDR from work would help, but it was broken. So all to no avail.

I took a leap of faith and decided to attack the problem like a true “blackhander” and repeatedly hammered the crap out of the indicator and the hazard switch, and what do you know it started to function, albeit sporadically.

so liberal applications of a combination of penetrating fluid and brute force and ignorance and I now have indicators that work.

I now know that I need to change the switch cluster, but as they are now working I can leave that little joy for when funds allow. The bike is now all back together and I am itching to get out for a ride.

many thanks all for the advice, and happy Stromming !

In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"