Author Topic: v strom/KTM screen lash up  (Read 459 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
v strom/KTM screen lash up
« on: April 18, 2023, 19:50:18 »
evening.
The standard screen on my '22 650 vibrated my eyeballs,usually I get beer to do that.Drink riding has been against the law for 6 months now ,as I read somewhere, so  as a model citizen I changed the screen.
Lurking at the back of my garage is a couple of decades worth of rejected screens from previous attempts at a quiet,non decapitating ride.6 foot 4 remember.
This is what came out of various tantrums and wasted time.
Not recommending this to anyone else 'cos you ain't me,but a few things I have worked out.
Angle is more important than size. Imagine sitting on the bike then lifting your head up 2" If you can look down the OUTSIDE of the screen and it is parallel to your view it works.This ,for me, is clean air when seated normally.
At my size still air is a pipe dream so no turbulence and quiet is my goal.Pressure does increase as speed rises, but as I have never EVER gone above 76 mph EVER, that is fine.It is a motorcycle afterall.Besides at going for it speeds I tend to lean forward so am out of the blast.
Yes it is a lash up, but the screen is off my old KTM SMT 990,the extension bit, don't know?,but cost me nowt. The angle was made by 1" nylon rod cut to angles at ends to suit  then a 6mm drill passed through the center to take stainless wide head allen bolts.With a 10mm gap between screen and extension, done same way.
Hopefully next winter will bring snow and give me time to tidy it all up.

ho hum

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: v strom/KTM screen lash up
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:20:44 »
If the screen mod doesn't totally solve the buffeting, you may want to read up a bit on wind deflectors. Perhaps something similar to that as discussed in https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21591.0 ?

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 08:56:42 »
If it works it works. It doesn't look that bad either.
I rode for the first time yesterday with my Loster (?) screen and Puig extender (also 6'4") and it worked well. It's more still air than clean air.
There's a piccie on the other what did you do with your Vstrom thread.
Upt.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:13:25 »
Cheers for the tips gents, screens for me tend to be  a movable  feast. Though  at the moment  this is OK. I did 300 miles last weekend  and it seems  to  do the job.I prefer a shorter screen  tall ones seem to effect  rate of turn in  and I'm  probably  at the sportier end of strom owners,but  it is a very personal   consideration.