Author Topic: Nitron suspension review  (Read 1297 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Nitron suspension review
« on: April 09, 2023, 16:20:20 »
I have had Nitron tvt fork cartridges and ntr1 shock on the bike for a month now , and am really enjoying the ride they bring.
spec for 95 kg kitted up rider;
tvt fork cartridge kit;
5wt oil
80 nm spring
150mm air gap
comp 12 clicks out
rebound 14 clicks out
preload 13mm
45mm rider sag
ntr1 shock;
628lb spring
combined rebound/compression 10 clicks out.
0 added preload.
48 mm rider sag
 First thing I noticed was that the headlights were low due to the bike riding higher at the back,or more correctley not sagging at back.Second was front tyre picking out irregularities in the road surface,running on road 6's ,a drop in front tyre pressure to 30 psi from standard 33 psi sorted that.Grip is great along with confidence the bike isn't going to do something uncontrolled ,this is probably the best balanced bike I have owned or ridden, certainly the best in the wet,and pushing my KTM SMT990 hard for control overall.
Comfort is a personal thing but with the nitrons fatigue is lower because even at normal road speed it is so easy to turn and corner it takes nothing out of you.The front, with a separate valve for compression, rebound and high speed compression[this last one is the most important as the standard forks have little control over this] smoothes out bumps while remaining level.
I had already fitted HH pads to the front brakes which helped with bite ,now it's like I have gone another level up ,grip and feel under heavy braking is  readable and easily modulated.
Hard riding still allows the bike to move around a bit,I have dialed that out but lost overall feel/grip so put it back to previous settings, long travel suspension will wander in extremis but feel is more important to me.
I got all this from MCT suspension near Stowmarket,Darren there is a damn pro and will recommend him to all. Price all in with Darren's work was£1500 ,money well spent.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Nitron suspension review
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 16:46:21 »
That does indeed sound like money well spent.

Congratulations and enjoy. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 19:24:15 »
TLPower thanks mate.
I usually upgrade the suspension on my bikes in a peacemeal fashion when funds allow,but the strom is a keeper so didn't mind doing it all at once,saved a bit by going for ntr1 shock,ultimately not as adjustable but having bought from MCT before they always seem to come set just right and don't need changes to the settings so not being able to is not a problem.
I got the bike for £7250 as a new but pre reg so for that price £1500 on the Nitron kit wasn't such a stretch.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 21:28:04 »
I have Nitron R2 shock for over 2 years and that was also money well spent. Very happy :)

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 21:44:01 »
nigel s very in-depth review thanks for posting 👍

Offline nigel s

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 05:27:28 »
pichulec hi,I should have thought to take a photo before fitting the shock doh.I thought about the remote preload adjuster you have on yours but as I only ride solo I saved some cash. Using the Nitron peg spanner you can adjust preload but wear gloves or skinned knuckles is a slip away,not a lot of room.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 06:42:12 »
The only problem is that accessing the rebound ring is real PITA.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 06:51:31 »
yeah, on my gen2 fazer1000 with same shock the linkage was a lot lower,on the strom you have to reach past the chain. I find popping it on the center stand helps then lay on left side of bike and reach up with left hand

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 09:55:03 »
The Nitron shock is a very good bit of kit. Had one fitted to mine Sept '21 & it's been excellent. Makes a big difference to the bike.
I had a YSS for a short time before it & that didn't have a remote preload, so when I had the Nitron fitted paying the extra £150 for it was a no brainer. It's a pain in the arse to adjust.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 10:06:23 »
barbel Mick, hopefully I will not have to adjust mine.
can't help but notice your chain is a bloody sight cleaner than mine

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 10:19:39 »
The bike's probably just been cleaned.  :grin:
I ride with a pillion most of the time but on very rare occasions I do adjust it, but it was still worth the cost for those rare occasions. That little gap in the frame to get the adjuster into & move isn't very big.
So long as it's good for you though.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 10:30:14 »
barbel Mick
Hopefully I can manage for the next 20000 miles.If not when suspension comes off to go back to MCT,for a service, then darren can put one on,they are retro fittable

Offline Bobmc

• Bike: DL1000 K6 and DL650 L3 Honda Vf500f2 Honda Vf750 Honda VF1000r Honda VFR750 Suzuki DR350 Kawasaki KLX 450r BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 18:35:56 »
Darren at MCT has fettled the suspension on numerous bikes I have owned. He fitted an Ohlins shock and upgraded the fork springs a couple of years ago. The bike is just on rails. Cannot recommend highly enough

Offline nigel s

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 05:49:04 »
Bobmc,I take my hat off to you,Darren is great,but shetland to stowmarket is a good shlep,hope he got a brew on

Offline Bobmc

• Bike: DL1000 K6 and DL650 L3 Honda Vf500f2 Honda Vf750 Honda VF1000r Honda VFR750 Suzuki DR350 Kawasaki KLX 450r BMW G 650 GS
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 21:48:52 »
He certainly did but as he has fettled probably half a dozen bikes for me and I was coming do to see my grandchildren it was much of a hardship but I would do it again at the drop of a hat If Darren hasn't set up your bike you don’t know what you are missing

Offline nigel s

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2023, 05:22:00 »
Absolutely bobmc, he has a golden touch.For those who haven't tried him it's not all Nitron this and ohlins that,he has done really good work on my bikes, at a good price ,just setting up or modifying what is already on the bike .
I don't know when you last visited MCT bobmc,but Darren has moved from his old place in the middle of Stowmarket to a place further out.The new place is very impressive all glass and modern.Not so much a workshop more a labratory.He also has a knack of sorting shocks they say can't be repaired.

Not an advert Darren is just a good bloke.