Author Topic: No Indicators or hazard warning lights  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000A L8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
Re: No Indicators or hazard warning lights
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 10:00:08 »
@graingerblaze PM me your email address and I'll send a .pdf copy of the wiring diagram for the one I repaired.

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 11:35:02 »
You were all spot on  :thumb:

The culprit was the yellow 10 block connector… I thought I had pushed it 100% home but obviously not as now all indicators working again. I gave it another good clean and added some electrical grease, but no corrosion I think I just didn’t push it home enough. It was working before I reassembled, but must have been only just making contact. The first ride must have shaken the connector apart.

Lessen learned again, double check and ride up the street a little before putting all the fairings back on  :whistle:
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 11:46:17 »
Glad it was something simple, if annoying.
I just popped down and soaked the fairing block connector in anti-corrosion as I never knew that one carried lights as well (makes utter sense given where it is).
Tomorrow evening I shall be chasing an ongoing intermittent headlight connection on a SFV650 Gladys, I just know that's going to be a corroded non-waterproof connector buried under the tank as well.
I love the value of a Suzuki but I'd happily kick the penny pinchers until my feet ached for some of the wiring connectors  :crazy:

Offline Pete O Tube

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 12:42:59 »
@graingerblaze - you can put a narrow width cable tie around the two halves of the connector to keep them together as it's prone to getting fragile through the heat generated by the headlamp wiring if there's the slightest amount of corrosion causing a high resistance across the contacts.
Age and heat from the engine also affects the integrity of the plastic connector.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 21:59:06 »
   Slightly off the subject,I have used a headlight relay on both of my Vstroms and since the first headlight problem in 2014 have had no problems whatsoever, the relay takes all of the heavy load away from the connector block under the tank,the starter switch,and dipswitch,all they take is the relay switching which is minimal.I think Bigpie still makes one.Definitely a good investment,I had the tank off recently and there was no sign whatsoever of any heat related corrosion on the large connector.Plus as I have a Scottish ancestry the price is very attractive (that means cheap in Yorkshirespeak).
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2023, 13:23:00 »
 :thumb: Second vote for the headlight relays here.
However I'm not sure bigpie still makes them but you can get them from here..........
https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html
(H4 dual kit for gen 1 & 2)
or I believe they are also made for cars & could be adapted to fit a motorcycle?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Pete O Tube

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2023, 14:58:18 »
H4 headlight relay kits are available on eBay, I bought one a couple of years ago