Author Topic: Coolant coming out of header tank overflow  (Read 546 times)

Offline bigun996

• Bike: DL1000 al5
Coolant coming out of header tank overflow
« on: April 15, 2023, 19:06:07 »
Hi all , today decided to give my 02 DL1000 K2 a clean and noticed there was no coolant in the header tank  so removed the side fairing and topped it up (50/50) to the top level and let her run up to temp and noticed that the coolant level was rising then it stopped rising about 20mm below the overflow and then I switched the engine off and the level rose up to and out of the overflow it then levelled off just below top required level, I've checked the the radiator cap the spring is working and the rubber seals in the cap do not appear not to be perished am I missing something is it an air lock or head gasket issue or normal. I've only had the bike a week and covered 300 miles :shrug:

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Coolant coming out of header tank overflow
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 19:41:22 »
Probably you have air in the system, bleed ;) Preferably even do coolant flush and change.

Offline bigun996

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 20:36:40 »
Thankyou  I am going get it flushed and changed tomorrow if I can get hold of some more coolant.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 20:45:54 »
Just thinking out loud....
Won't end well................
Are your fans kicking in as normal?
Upt.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 21:48:30 »
Was going to say fan switch is another option if it's cutting in too late or not at all. An air bubble near the sensor can also cause this though so do bleed and flush first if it needs doing anyway.
I know the fan will run on if you turn the bike off with the kill switch but can't remember if it does the same when turning off with the ignition key as I usually use the switch first.
One thing to maybe check if you do go the full refresh route. I found the plastic shroud on the back of my radiator had warped to the point it fouled the fan and hampered the cooling quite badly. A blast with a heat gun on the corners meant I could reshape it and the bike has cooled itself a lot better since.

Offline bigun996

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 22:25:47 »
 I will flush and change the coolant in the morning check the plastic shroud isn't restricting the fan while its all stripped down if the shroud is OK then check the connection to the sensor and then see if there's away of checking the fan motor is working without running the bike. I spoke to mechanic  that did the servicing on my last bike and was told to start the bike with rad cap off and if it blew the coolant out  the top of radiator it  was pressurzing and the problem was more than likley to be the radiator cap or head gasket but I don't  I am not a mechanic by means  its all a learning curve

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 00:06:07 »
As Rixington said, it could be the fan switch. You can make the fan run with the ignition key in the on position by disconnecting the plug from the radiator thermostat and making a short between the two contacts, use a heavy gauge insulated cable or a pair of needle nose pliers or similar. If the fan runs then that can be dismissed, then reconnect the thermostsat and let the bike idle until the fan starts, it can help to put something like a white line on the outer fan so that you can see it turning.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 09:11:02 »
I agree with your mechanic ..

Run it without the rad cap on , if it pumps coolant out you have a more serious issue.

If this is fine, try a new rad cap even if your one looks good.

Other issues to add can be an air lock or faulty  thermostat.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline bigun996

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 16:35:06 »
Thanks everyone for you help/advice all sorted now checked rad cowling and fan  all good, coolant flushed/changed and while she stripped down checked and cleaned the plugs, replaced the air filter and an oil n filter change. :ty:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 16:54:30 »
Just realised....

My last post said run with the rad cap "on" ..
Apologies,  this is wrong ...  :crazy:

Not sure why I said that when I agreed with your mechanic saying rad cap off .. :shrug:  lol

Anyway .. glad it's all sorted now  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂