Author Topic: Fuel tank couplings  (Read 491 times)

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
Fuel tank couplings
« on: February 28, 2023, 15:54:16 »
So today removed the tank form my 2016 650 for the first time. Took forever to do especially the main fuel coupling from the pump. My question is should I reassemble the main coupling and the other 2 pipes with a little Vaseline or similar to make it easier next time?
Thanks
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Re: Fuel tank couplings
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 17:38:37 »
I think the 2017+ 650's are fairly similar, if not, ignore me:

Mine slid straight off, no problems at all. The worst pipes were the two rubber ones (they were only just long enough to put back on), and the clamps did not fill me with confidence as they just seemed to slip over the barb... IMO I wouldn't put any grease on these.

My fuel pipe just came off mine once unlocking the connector - you have to make sure it's fully unlocked as mine partially unlocked, seemed to move, but then jammed up. Once fully unlocked, it came right off. I'm not fully sure on the internals of the fuel pipe connector, if there are internal o-rings/seals then a very small amount of silicone spray on the tank side might help with reassembly, but let others comment their ideas first before doing this  :thumb:

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 18:23:04 »
      A tiny smear of grease going back on won’t damage the “O-ring” seal,after all it is covered in petrol when its working.I have found the easy way to remove the fuel pipe from the tank is to push it”on” first and then the two clips can be pinched in quite easily and it will just slide off.Plus the bonus of a little lubrication is that you will hear it “click” when it is fully home on re-assembly
Ian Mc.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 19:52:36 »
The coupling, male & female need to be straight/parallel with each other. Anything slightly off line & it will bind making it difficult to pull apart or push together.
I'm presuming you supported the rear of the tank to give yourself two hands to work with? I use a pair of long nose pliers to squeeze the connector & hold the fixed pipe still with the other hand.
I've had the tank off numerous times but it can still make you curse somtimes.  :)
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 20:38:03 »
If I remember correctly on the Wee the rear tank fastener/clamp is shaped asymmetrical specifically so that after being removed it can be used as a prop to hold the tank up to give the required access to disconnect the fuel line.

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 21:39:19 »
Thanks for all the help and advice. Good to know that the problems I had were typical.
All back together today and seems good, subject to test ride.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"